It has been started raining since the past few days. Probably, rainy season is here already. It's the best time to bake some warm bread for the family. I've made some really flavourful tea bread with cheese and citrus fillings. I'm calling it a tea bread cause it shapes in bun like bread and with frosting. There is tea cake and there's also tea bread! Any sweetened buns or bread to be eaten with tea is called as tea bread. In the other hand, tea cake can also be a bread or a cake and is served during afternoon tea. Normally, bread loaf with load of dried nuts or fruits & icing frosting topping is too considered as tea cake.
(Recipe Adapted from here)
Ingredients for bread dough :
3/4 cup full cream milk
2-1/4 tspn yeast
200gm shredded cheddar cheese
4-1/4 cups flour
1-1/4 tspn salt
(1) dissolve yeast into milk and let to rest for 10 mins.
(2) combine flour, sugar and salt in a big mixing bowl.
(3) stir yeast mixture, eggs and cheese into dry ingredients, mix to form a soft dough.
(4) next, add in butter and continue kneading untill well combined.
(5) cover the dough and let it rest for an hour or untill double in size.
(6) punch dough to release air and knead to smooth.
(7) roll the dough out flat and spread on the citrus butter cream mixture.
(8) then roll it up like a swiss roll and divide into 12 pieces.
(9) slightly pull and twist every dough, then place them to baking tray.
(10) again, let them rest for 45mis.
Ingredients for citrus butter cream mixture :
1/2 cup icing sugar
60gm butter, softened
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp lime rinds
(combine all and beat untill fluffy)
Ingredients for citrus frosting :
3/4 cup icing sugar
1-1/2 tbsp lime juice
1 tspn lime rinds
(combine and mix well)
Finally, bake at preheated oven 180'C for 25-30 mins. And then leave to cool completely before drizzle citrus frosting over them.
I usually adored this kind of bread. Love the sweet topping with the citrus flavour especially. I'm sure I can't stop at one....neither are my kids!
(bread, rolls, buns, citrus,)