Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sweet Glutinous Noodle Soup


Are you looking for noodles here??? Sorry, these are no wheat flour noodles but glutinous flour noodle. Why I'm calling them noodles? There was a time, I saw an old lady making noodles in this way. I'm not sure if it is her traditional way of making the noodles or it's her own creation. I was very young then. Never ask!

So, instead of making the savory noodle, I've made the sweet ones. This is actually a recipe which is similar to 'tang yuen'. Just wanted to try something different today. Something fancy! And here's what I did.

Ingredient for boysenberry dough :
1 cup glutinous rice flour
2 tbsp boysenberry puree
70ml lukewarm water
(combine all ingredients and mix to form a soft dough)

Ingredients for black sesame dough :
1 cup glutinous rice flour
2 tbsp black sesame powder
90ml lukewarm water
(combine all ingredients and mix to form a soft dough)

*Divide dough into four(4) portion. Roll each into oblong shape and then slicing into small bite size.


Ingredients for Sweet Soup :
2L water
3 pandan leaves (screwpine leaf), rinsed
200gm sugar cane rock sugar
handful of dried longan

Method :
(1) combine all ingredients in a big pot and boil them over medium heat untill dried longan became soft.
(2) next place in all the well shaped dough and let it boil over high heat.
(3) off the heat immediately, once all the glutious dough floating on the surface.
(4) do not cover the lid, let it cool slowly.

You know what! The texture of this shape is actually really nice...really smooth...chewy and am loving the sesame ones. Really yummy! I'm going to make this on the coming New Year eve but in round shape, of coz. Round in Chinese meaning perfect, full and all well. Besides of these two flavour, probably will add in  more.... Hope you guys will have fun too! Enjoy.
*
I'm sending this to Suresh & Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

17 comments:

Amy said...

Yum...I love sweet soup and with glutinous rice cake, count me in! :) I love your creative idea using the boysenberry to add color and flavor to the dough. That's so beautiful and unique. :)

Chefblogdigest said...

Very creative. I love soup and having a rice cake is something new for me. I would love to taste this one.

Katerina said...

What an unusual combination! Beautiful soup!

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

Kristy, you're so creative! Love this sweet soup, please pass some :)

Small Kucing said...

LOL...you've got me. I was looking for noodles.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Whoa. This kinda blows my mind. I gotta keep looking at it!

Aarthi said...

This is totally yummy recipe...I am loving it dear..Will try it soon..

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Kumi said...

Just what I need right now. :-) Sounds very yummy and comforting!

Lyndsey said...

Yum, I can just imagine how nice the texture is and how good it tastes. You got me thinking now...hmmm let's see, what can I use? :) I'll let you know!

AikoVenus said...

Ooh! I love the boysenberry dough!

Elin said...

Kristy,

Happy Chinese New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and family.

This is indeed a unique noodle. Haha trust you to use boysenberry as one ingredient for the noodle dough LOL! Great job. You are so creative anyway ! Looking forward to more deliciousness from you in the dragon year :)

divya said...

Yum! This looks so so yummy!

lena said...

a very clever twist to the traditional tong yuen! here i wld like to wish you a very happy and prosperous new year and gong xi fa cai!

Trix said...

I have never had a sweet noodle soup! SOunds so interesting. Very very pretty!!

Magic of Spice said...

What a creative soup...I must try these noodles :)

Sheoh Yan said...

I don't need to eat this myself and I know it is sure nice. Thanks for dropping my blog. You are such a wonderful cook, your family is blessed. Another mummy who make me really envy.

shaz said...

Thanks for the flavouring tips, I definitely want to try the black sesame one! The boysenberry looks so pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...