Sweet Potato ~ The Chinese Gnocchi
300gm sweet potato, mashed
1/2 cup warm water
200gm tapioca flour
1 tbsp wheat starch/tung fun
*extra tapioca flour
(1) stir half of tapioca flour into mashed sweet potato till combined.
(2) then add in water little by little alternately with the remain flours.
(3) knead dough till smooth and if it is still a little too soft, add more tapioca flour cause mashed sweet potato is moist & softer than mashed taro.
(4) once it's ready, divide dough into smaller portion and roll them up like s rope.
(5) arrange all prepared dough onto a tray, then steamed for 20-25mins over high heat.
(6) finally, leave completely cool before used.
1 carrot, cut into fine shreds
2 dried mushroom, soaked & thinly sliced
100gm coriander, cut into 1"
70gm dried black wood ear/fungus, soaked & sliced into fine shreds
2 red chilies, thinly sliced
handful of fresh ginger shreds
*cooked sweet potato dough, cut into bite size
2-1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
2 tspn light soy sauce
a dash crushed black pepper
1/2 cup water
*you may use a bit of Shaoxing wine (optional)
(1) heat the wok, add in enough cooking oil/sesame oil and stir in ginger, fry till fragrant.
(2) then stir in wood ears and mushroom, saute for a few seconds.
(3) now, add in all the seasoning and let it simmer for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
(4) stir in the cooked sweet potato dough and let it simmer for another few more minutes or till the gravy became thickened.
(5) off the heat, then add in the remain ingredients and stir to well combined, serve warm.
Well, may be you can try this out on the coming Chinese New Year. Instead of making the taro version every time, you need a brand new makeover. I mean the food NOT you!!!! haha.... Honestly, I think myself need a total makeover as well. I can't remember when is the last time I used lipstick or eye shadow. And don't even know where I'm keeping them or are they already expired! Muakaha.... Anyway, hope you guys will love this Chinese gnochi.
I'm sending this to Shaz & Suresh @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.