Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sweet Potato ~ The Chinese Gnocchi

Still remember the Hakka Abacus Bead I made before this! Actually, this is another version of it. Instead of using mashed taro, I'm using mashed sweet potato. Compare to mashed taro, mashed sweet potato is much softer especially the one in orange colour but not the yellow ones. What I'm making today is much quicker and easier compare to the Abacus Bead shape. No need to spend long hours rolling each of them. That what I love about. hehe.... Come on, lets join me.

Ingredients for sweet potato dough :
300gm   sweet potato, mashed
1/2 cup  warm water
200gm    tapioca flour
1 tbsp    wheat starch/tung fun
*extra tapioca flour

Method :
(1)  stir half of tapioca flour into mashed sweet potato till combined.
(2)  then add in water little by little alternately with the remain flours.
(3)  knead dough till smooth and if it is still a little too soft, add more tapioca flour cause mashed sweet potato is moist & softer than mashed taro.
(4) once it's ready, divide dough into smaller portion and roll them up like s rope.
(5) arrange all prepared dough onto a tray, then steamed for 20-25mins over high heat.
(6) finally, leave completely cool before used.

The steamed sweet potato should be looking like this....gluey, chewy and shinny. Caution : Never ever put your hands on them while it's still hot. It is really hot & quite sticky too. But don't worried, you can easily pull them out once it's totally cooled off. Cut each into small bite size and it's ready to go to the WOK.

Ingredients :
1 carrot, cut into fine shreds
2  dried mushroom, soaked & thinly sliced
100gm   coriander, cut into 1"
70gm  dried black wood ear/fungus, soaked & sliced into fine shreds
2 red chilies, thinly sliced
handful of fresh ginger shreds
*cooked sweet potato dough, cut into bite size

Seasoning :
2-1/2 tbsp   vegetarian oyster sauce
2 tspn   light soy sauce
a dash crushed black pepper
1/2 cup water
*you may use a bit of Shaoxing wine (optional)

Method :
(1) heat the wok, add in enough cooking oil/sesame oil and stir in ginger, fry till fragrant.
(2) then stir in wood ears and mushroom, saute for a few seconds.
(3) now, add in all the seasoning and let it simmer for a couple of minutes over medium heat.
(4) stir in the cooked sweet potato dough and let it simmer for another few more minutes or till the gravy became thickened.
(5) off the heat, then add in the remain ingredients and stir to well combined, serve warm.


Well, may be you can try this out on the coming Chinese New Year. Instead of making the taro version every time, you need a brand new makeover. I mean the food NOT you!!!! haha.... Honestly, I think myself need a total makeover as well. I can't remember when is the last time I used lipstick or eye shadow. And don't even know where I'm keeping them or are they already expired! Muakaha....  Anyway, hope you guys will love this Chinese gnochi.
*
I'm sending this to Shaz & Suresh @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

21 comments:

Aarthi said...

yummy...tasty one..Bookmarked

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

yum- looks so amazing.

Lyndsey said...

Yum, this looks amazing Kristy! I have never made gnocchi before...maybe I was just waiting for the right recipe! It looks so interesting I jusat have to try it.

Pegasuslegend said...

Elegant and superb just great photo
s Happy New Year whenever yours may be.... much happiness to you and your family! Nice way to start off!

Angie's Recipes said...

Sighs...I miss homey dishes like this...so colourful and appetizing!

sylvia@peaches and donuts said...

I love how glistening it looks!! I really like to eat the Hakka abacus beads so i just know that i'll love this too! I just have to stop being lazy and go find the ingredients! ;)

Rebecca Subbiah said...

wish I could come to yours for dinner

divya said...

Delicious and inviting recipe. Looks simply yummy.

Zoe said...

I love the way you associate Gnocchi into this sweet potato version of abacus bead. To think of it, they are truly quite similar. I do like your Asian fusion sweet potato of Gnocchi. Delicious!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I definitely want to try this!! Love sweet potatoes - texture looks awesome.

Claudia said...

Oh Kristy - how good this looks! The photo is just exquisite - all those colors and I love the idea of "Chinese gnocchi!"

Shirley said...

Gosh this looks fantastic!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

很佩服你对料理花的心思:)
抱歉啊。。。还没空去邮政局哩
你的包裹还躺在我家睡觉,哈哈:)

Small Kucing said...

wow...i didnt know this. Maybe will try it one of these days

Katerina said...

Very interesting information and the dish looks fantastic!

Kumi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kumi said...

Looks really good - I can totally imagine the taste and texture.. wish I had it in front of me right now!

lena said...

this is really unique..a chinese gnocchi..do they have the same texture and mnouthfeel as compared to the western gnocchi?

Elin said...

I agrees with Lena,this is so unique and I guess it must be nice. Looks good with the wood ear fungus , carrots and coriander and chilli...YUMMY! wish I was just staying next door to you :)

Cheah said...

Kristy, I think I'll like this dish of yours. Hmm... complete makeover huh to surprise your hubby!!

shaz said...

I love how colourful it is! Must try this very soon, thank you :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...