Sunday, January 31, 2016

Fermented Beancurd 'Nam Yue' Sesame Cookies 南乳香脆可口芝麻饼


This recipe was published on year 2011 from Flavour magazine and finally, I did it ! I am so so so regret for not making this much earlier. This is such an addictive recipe. YES, IT IS REALLY THAT GOOD !!!!  The smell, the flavour and the texture is just SO RIGHT !  "Nam yue" is one of the Chinese famous red fermented beancurd which is widely used in savoury cooking and as time flies, more & more fabulous baking recipes created by using this special ingredient.

Ingredients :
(A)
250gm  butter
1/4 tspn  salt
140gm  icing sugar
1 whole egg

(B)
2 pieces  red fermented beancurd included 1 tspn red gravy
1 tpsn  pounded garlic

(C)
440gm  all purpose flour
1 tspn  5 spice powder
1 tspn  baking powder
1 tspn  baking soda
40gm  black sesame seeds
40gm  white sesame seeds


For coating  :  50gm  black sesame seeds mixed with 50gm white sesame seeds

Method:
(1) blend together ingredients (B) till well cooperated. Set aside.
(2) beat ingredients (A) till creamy then stir in mixture (B) till well combined.
(3) now, fold in mixture (C) to form a soft dough, knead till smooth. Then set aside to rest for 30 minutes. For the original recipe, dough need to be chilled before used but skipped that.
(4) again, used a bottle cap for moulding then coat moulded dough with sesame seeds. Later press dough with a slightly smaller round shape gadget to the center to form the curve.
(5) finally, bake at preheated oven 175'C for about 16 minutes or till nicely brown.
(6) set to cool completely before storage.

I am glad I found you.... loving every single bit of you !  Hope you guys will love it too.
Enjoy & Happy Festive Baking !

14 comments:

Angie Schneider said...

I miss those cookies more than the festival itself. They look fantastic, Kristy.

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

I like foods with nam yue. Bookmarked :)
Thanks for sharing, Kristy!

Sokehah Cheah said...

This looks interesting,bookmarked and thanks for sharing!

Elin Chia said...

This year I won't be making any cookies but have KIV this for future bakes. Thanks for sharing :)

Chloe said...

Hi Kristy. This savory cookie looks so good. Will certainly try to squeeze in time to make it before cny. By the way is the man yue taste subtle. Do u get to taste the nam yue when u bite into the cookie. Also is this crispy as I like savory/crispy texture. Thanks for posting all your fantastic recipies. Have a blessed cny! Chloe

My Little Space said...

Hi Chloe,
First of all, thanks for stopping by my humble little space. To your questions, there's NO subtle taste from nam yue itself. I found that its quite unique & interesting in a way how the combination goes together. If you prefer crispy texture, just keep dough chilled for 30 minutes or an hour before used. Enjoy & have fun. Happy baking !
Blessings, Kristy

Elena said...

May I know if the sesame seeds need to be toasted? Thanks for this interesting recipe.

My Little Space said...

Hi Elena,
No, the sesame isn't toasted. It get toasted once it starts baking.>o<
Have fun baking !
Blessings, Kristy

Edith C said...

Kristy! I baked a batch today and it is awesome. Light and yet crispy. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

~~louise~~ said...

Delectable, Kristi...Thank you so much for sharing...Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy, instead of nam yue can I use yhe white fermented bean curd instead. Thanks...adeline

Angeline アンゼリン said...

Hi Kristy, I've been out from blogging world for some time. Just lately I'm back to blog again. Wishing you and your family a prosperous Chinese New Year.

My Little Space said...

Hi Adeline,
Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy travelling for the past couple of days. Frankly, I've yet tried baking with the white fermented beancurd. You may try it and please do keep me inform the outcome. I am so excited about it as well.
Happy baking !
Blessings, Kristy

Rose said...

Hi! That is an interestinh cookie. Never had it before.

Gong xi fa cai!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...