Pandan Coconut Kuih Bangkit 香兰椰味薯粉饼

I just recovered from a fever, yet I still want to bake. Its my first attempt making this kuih bangkit @ tapioca cookies, which is gluten free. Kuih bangkit is one of the many famous nyonya cookies. What I like about it is the melt-in-your-mouth kind of texture with heavy pandan coconut fragrance. Before I started baking this, I always thought making kuih bangkit is tedious job. I have to think twice before I considered futher. haha..... Well, it is not at all ! The only tricky job is the toasted flour & a good fresh coconut milk. Since this is my first attempt, I am not be able to try out other flour. So, have to stick with the original one first. I'm going to try out the flour mixture of sago flour with tapioca flour some day. For time being, I'm craving for the green thing so much. So, I have to stick with my plan. My future plan going to be this one here. Very much looking forward to it.

The tapioca flour became a bit lumpy and less attached to spoon compare to earlier stage.

(recipe adapted from here & here)
Ingredients :
(A)
500gm  tapioca flour
2 TB  corn flour
4-5 pieces  pandanus leaves, rinsed & keep dry

(B)
1/4 tspn  salt
60gm  shortening
150gm  icing sugar
2 egg yolk
180ml   thick coconut milk
2 tspn  pandan paste

Method :
(1) combine ingredients (A) and toast over preheated thick stainless steel wok (I used Korean wok) for about 20 minutes. Stir gradually. The flour turns less attached compare to earlier stage. You can feel the differences by the time its done. Discharged pandan leaves. Then set aside to cool for 2 days before used. Yes, must prepare the flour 3 days ahead.

Note :  common cooking wok is not recommended due to the inconsistency of temperature. Or you may bake at preheated oven 180'C for about 30 minutes.

(2) cream shortening, sugar, pandan paste & egg yolk till fluffy then stir in 100ml  coconut milk and beat till well mixed.

(3) stir coconut cream mixture to cooked flour to form crumble like texture, as picture shown above. Next, stir in the remaining coconut milk and knead till dough can almost hold together. Then separate into few portions. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.

(4) once its ready, cut dough out to small portions then press it to the mould. Remove the excess dough by cutting it out with a sharp knife. Now, carefully knock out the cookies. Always keep the mould dry by coating it with corn flour.

(5) finally, bake at preheated oven 165'C for about 18-20 minutes or till the cookie bottom turns brown. Making sure the cookies are well baked, otherwise, it won't gives you the melt-in-your-mouth effect.

These are the cookies before baking. I simply adore green and it smells awesome too.

And the cookies after baked turns out as wonderful. I tried one piece then try another one....  then another one.... and another one.....  Still feels like lack of pandan paste and salt. Will try to increase these two thing the next time. However, for the time being I have at least 2 jars to enjoy with my family. >o< Hope you guys will love it too. Enjoy & have fun baking for the coming Chinese New Year !
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...