Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Coffee Mooncake Biscuit With Dried Figs & Dates

Coffee Mooncake Biscuit With Dried Figs & Dates

Mooncake Biscuit With Dried Cranberry & Candied Kumquat

We will be celebrating the Mooncake Festival on this coming 22nd of September, Wednesday night. Wow, time just flies... isn't it! I remember last year I made quite a number of jelly mooncakes for the celebration. And I have missed out this one here... mooncake biscuits! So, I'm not going to miss this again this year.

And here's my mooncake biscuits for the coming celebration.

Ingredients for Coffee Mooncake Biscuit :
250ml golden syrup
110ml peanut oil
1 tspn alkaline water
450gm all purpose flour
1/4 tspn baking soda
1 tbsp instant coffee powder (mix with 1/2 tbsp hot water)
*
Method :
- combine syrup, peanut cooking oil and alkaline water in a big bowl, mix well.
- keep cover and leave aside for an hour.
- then stir in flour, baking soda and coffee mixture untill well mixed.
- again cover and leave aside for about 2 hours.
- divide dough into 25gm dough ball each for mini size cake mould.
*
Ingredients for Plain Mooncake Biscuit :
250ml golden syrup
110ml peanut cooking oil
1 tspn alkaline water
430gm all purpose flour
1/4 tspn baking soda
*
Method ~ follow as the above.




Assemble Dough :
- at the same time divide filling into 25gm dough ball each.
- slightly flatten pastry dough between a plastic sheet.
- wrap filling with the flattened pastry and seal well.
- slightly coat the ball dough with flour and get ready for moulding.
- finally, bake at 175'c for 10 mins then remove and brush with egg glaze.
- Then bake at 165'c for another 10mins or untill brown.
- leave cool completely before serving.
*Egg glaze : one egg beaten
*
Ingredients for Dried Figs & Dates Filling :
500gm lotus paste
100gm walnut, roasted & chopped
100gm sunflower seeds, roasted
50gm dried figs, chopped
50gm dried dates, chopped
(mix all ingredients into big dough and then divide into 25gm each.)
*

Ingredients for Candied Kumquat & Dried Cranberry Filling :
500gm lotus paste
100gm candied kumquat, chopped
100gm dried cranberry, chopped
70gm sesame seeds, roasted
(mix all ingredients to form a big dough and divide into 25gm each.)
*
I think the homemade ones are fantastic especially the thin crust. I like it very much. Frankly, I haven't taken these for quite a long time. All because of the crust! The store bought ones are much thicker and is very very sweet. Or you may try replacing the syrup with pure natural honey. I'm sure it tastes as splendid. Hope you will enjoy this and happy baking!

32 comments:

smallkucing said...

you making for sell or not?

Belinda @zomppa said...

You are a master baker. Why aren't you selling these?

MaryMoh said...

Wow...so many beautiful moon cakes. These are expensive I heard. Kristy, you save a a lot of money and will make a lot of money if you sell :D Take care and have fun with more baking. I suffer drooling all the time:D

Anncoo said...

Kristy, Can I come to your house on the 22nd? Your recent bakes are superb!

Barbara said...

I am always so impressed with your baked goods, Kristy! These mooncakes are not only lovely looking, the flavors are marvelous! (see how everyone thinks you should be selling these?)

Cathy said...

Your mooncakes are beautiful, Kristy. And that filling looks delicious. Yum, I would love to try one.

Chow and Chatter said...

good advice on food safety lol feeling better now, these look amazing yum, love Rebecca

MacKenzie @ Fighting the Pudge said...

See what I mean, Kristy? Everything you make is a work of art. GORGEOUS! The recipe doesn't seem too hard either. I may just have to try these myself :)

Hope you're having a great week! xx

Fimère said...

ils sont très riche et savoureux ces petits biscuits avec une aussi jolie forme difficile d'y résister même à cette heure-ci!!!!
bonne soirée

penny aka jeroxie said...

Bookmarked! I am baking mine on the 19th. Wish me luck.

Jeannie said...

Looks like everyone is in mooncake baking frenzy lol! These biscuits looks very delicious, I especially like the ones with kumquat. Thanks for sharing, Kristy:D

Elin said...

Kristy....ooohhhh my mouth watering adi la. Aiyo...so delicious looking. I dun care you send some over by Fedex ! :p

Well done. Will try making them one day :) hahaha dun know when I can make them. Maybe next season :p

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, am I in your guest list? looks so delicious leh...

Von said...

I love your mooncake flavours! They're so interesting!! I'm not a huge fan of mooncakes- I usually only go for the custard snow skin mooncakes, but your flavours of mooncakes looks really yummy!

Little Inbox said...

I don't know how to make mooncake, just want to wish you happy mooncake festival!

My Little Space said...

smallkucing : haha... will think about it! haha...

Belinda : Still under consideration! See, maybe next year or so. ^_^ Thanks so much for your kind words. Really appreciate it.

MaryMoh : Frankly, I'm not sure about the price. Haven't been to any mooncake counters these few years! hehe.... These biscuit is actually very easy to assemble. I can finish it within an hour. Just the baking part is a bit time consuming, that's all!

Anncoo : You're always welcome! And you're such amazing cook & baker too. ^_^

Barbara : Haha... thank you very much. That's very kind of you. Will think about it! So, are you in the list too? haha...

Cathy : How I wish to send you a few of these! hehe... I wonder you can get these kind of biscuits over at the China town or not!

Rebecca : Glad to hear that everything is fine there. Will hop over in a minute. See ya!

Mac : Oh great! Looking forward to your up coming mooncake posting. All the best to you! ^_^

Fimere : Merci! Glad that you like the biscuits too. These are Asian style festive biscuits and it's totally different from what you made, right? Hope you will enjoy it as well.

Penny : Hey, wish you the very best! Can't wait to see your homemade mooncake soon.

Jeannie : Frankly, I think by next week no one going to touch on these biscuits or cakes anymore! Scared of it already...haha....

Elin : Thanks alot! I'm sure you can do it. It's actually quite easy to prepare all the ingredients & also simple to assemble as well. All the best!

Jess : So, are you in the mood of making mooncakes or biscuits? hehe...

Von : My favourites would be Shanghai Mooncake & Taiwanese Mooncake. Though not a big fan of those biscuits but I like the one with walnuts & seeds in it. Really flavourful and crunchy at the same time.

Little Inbox : Thank you very much and same to you too! Have a wonderful Mooncake Festival.

Thanks everyone for visiting and spending your time here today. It's great to know that you guys like it as well.

Enjoy & have a fabulous day.

Cheers, Kristy

Emily Malloy said...

I am SO impressed! Those are BEAUTIFUL.

Mary said...

Kristy, these are beautiful. I know they were a lot of work but they are absolutely gorgeous. Well done, dear friend. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Cooking Gallery said...

Wow, you're so good at making mooncakes...:)! I am impressed!

Otehlia said...

So many beautiful little breads and cakes! I love the attention to detail. That is what cooking is about. Really stunning, and I'm sure tasty, too.

alison said...

really,really stunning,these kristy-cakes!

Abbey said...

wow. your blog is so inspiring!

Weng said...

Hi dear Kristy, your mooncakes look so fabulous! You know here in Perth, mooncakes are so expensive. They cause about $11 for each and about 40 bucks for one box. They are selling some imported overseas brand and also the famous Hong Kong Weng Wah Mooncake. Have you tried them before? I have not. Haha. But I will buy some bak for my parents when I o back at the end of the year :)

I want to make some Ping Pi mooncake here also cannot :( Cause I cant find Koh Fun anywhere :(

~Lexibule~ said...

Tu as des doigts de fée!! Ton blog est rempli de jolies surprises toutes aussi alléchantes les unes des autres!! Je sent que je vais me régaler:))xxx

My Little Space said...

Emily : Thank you very much!

Mary : It's all worth it & thank you.

CookingGallery : Thanks and glad that you like it too!

Otehlia : Wish that you can have some too! hehe...

Alison : Thank you, dear.

Abbey : Do you want some? ^_^

Weng : Nope, I've not tried HK Weng Wah mooncakes! I don't think we have it here. hehe...Can you tell the difference? Hope to know more about it. Thanks!

Lexibule : Nope, not fairy fingers but passionate soul, I think! Glad that you enjoy it as well. Hope to hear from you more often, Lex!

Thanks guys for spending your time here. Hope you're all having a wonderful day.

Cheers, Kristy

Angie's Recipes said...

DO reserve one for me! Don't feel like to bake some this year...

Lyndsey said...

Kristy I missed this one! These look beautiful, and I'm loveing the flavors here. I'm sure I wouldn't have to have a store bought one after eating any of your mooncakes!

I'm posting my attempt as promised! :D

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Kristy, you open a cake shop (must have mooncakes for sale OK?) and I will drive to Malaysia to buy your cakes every week!

petite nyonya said...

you are such a pro, kristy!!

lena said...

hey, i must say that these mooncakes look really beautiful..better than the one selling at shops. Do consider selling this..i'm sure there are a lot of eager customers.

Dionne Baldwin said...

These are absolutely beautiful! I just love these! I must be the only person in the world that hasn't heard of a mooncake...I may have seen them just not heard them by name.

I really like these.

Claudia said...

I remember wishing for your mooncakes last year. Now you show me the figs and dates all huddled inside the most beautiful celestial packaging - and oh my - I am longing for them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...