Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bamboo Charcoal & Cinnamon Mooncakes And It's Voting Time

This year the Chinese Mooncake Festival is fall on the 22nd of September, Wednesday. And it's about time to make my third batch of mooncakes. Remember the mooncake biscuits I made the other day. It's all gone! This morning, I went for more lotus paste fillings but the store owner said there's no more stock left. Luckily, I still have 3kg left with me. So, just make whatever I have in hand.

I'm glad I'm making my homemade golden syrup this year. The process is actually pretty easy. Probably, I'll try to make the lavender golden syrup next as well. And here's the recipes. Have fun!

Ingredients for Golden Syrup :

100ml lemon juice
450ml water
1 kg sugar

Method :

- combine water and sugar in a non-stick pot and boil over high heat.
- once it's boiled, add in lemon juice and let it boil for another 5 mins.
- at this moment, do not try to scrub the side of the pot with your cooking utensil, cause the sugar might cystalize at the side. You may use a damp cloth for the cleaning.
- finally, reduce to low heat and simmer for about an hour (do not stir the mixture).
- mine is exactly 1hour 10mins, the syrup looks very runny while it's hot but will became thick after cooling down.
- if you prefer to omit the lemon juice, you may as well cut down the simmering time.

Ingredients for Charcoal Mooncake Skin :
(for 12pcs mini size mooncakes)

100gm all purpose flour
1 tspn bamboo charcoal powder
1 tbsp milk powder
75gm syrup
1/4 tspn alkaline water
25gm peanut oil
(combine all ingredients and mix well, then leave aside for 2 hour or the best is overnight)

Ingredients for Cinnamon Mooncake Skin :
(for 12pcs mini size mooncake)

100gm all purpose flour
1 tspn cinnamon powder
1 tbsp milk powder
75gm syrup
1/4 tspn alkaline water
25gm peanut oil
(comine all ingredient and mix well, then leave aside for 2 hour or the best is overnight)

Fillings : about 1-1/2 kg lotus paste.
*Egg glze : 1 egg yolk mix with 1 tspn water
*mung fillings : refer here.

To Assemble : refer here.

Finally, bake at 170-175'c for 10 mins and then brush with egg glaze, bake again at 160'c for another 10 mins or untill brown.

WISHNG ALL A HAPPY MOONCAKE FESTIVAL ! Hope you're all going to enjoy the coming festival with lots of food & fun! ^_^

And don't forget to VOTE for me! THANK YOU !

31 comments:

smallkucing said...

ooo...i have been wondering about the black colour mooncake. As k the seller they say healthy ooncake. But when ask the mad eof what they cant explain pulak

Heavenly Housewife said...

All of these moon cakes look so pretty. I would love to see what a moon cake festival is like.
I voted for you and will keep my fingers crossed for you daaaahling!
*kisses* HH

Foodessa said...

Kristy...these are too fabulous.

Good luck in the competion...your very talented ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

5 Star Foodie said...

Very cool mooncakes! Voted for you!

Lyndsey said...

Your mooncakes are the best...I wish I could take a bite of any one of them! They are just stunning! I wonder how the guava paste would work in a mooncake?

Best of luck in the challenge Kristy! I voted for you!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Impressive you made your own, but why am I surprised? Of course you have my vote!

Anncoo said...

Nice mooncake and Happy Mid Autumn Festival!
You have my vote!

Wen said...

Very creative in infusing different flavour in your mooncakes where most homebakers will just make the traditional ones. Well done!

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, nice mooncakes and you will have my vote, wish you best bester bestest lucksssss on winning!

lena said...

already voted for you!!btw, i'm done with the logo that i asked u earlier and Happy Mooncake Festival!!

Elin said...

Kristy...OMG you can open a shop for mooncakes...looks so good...yummyummm slurp ! Send some over ya :p

Sweet and Savory said...

Kristy, you are absolutely amazing. I am impressed.

Each time, I visit here, you have something that I am in awe of. This is the best.

I am off to vote. Good luck. I do hope you win. You deserve it.

Blackswan said...

Finally found your blog & voted. All the best!

Angie's Recipes said...

I would love to try your charcoal mooncke!
Just voted for you!

My Little Space said...

OMG, this is for real! Thank you so much everyone for your VOTES! I'm not sure if I can go on to the following round but I'm glad you all being so encouraging & supportive. ^_^
I'm actually quite busy for the past few days. Hubby is sick. He's getting better now. Thank you all for stopping by and hope you're all having a wonderful day.
Blessings, Kristy

Jeannie said...

Very gorgeous mooncakes! I am going to try making these! Voted for u:)

Peanutts said...

wow, lovely moon cakes , espeicially those charcoal ones , never realised you can make golden syrup at home. Have a nice day :)

tigerfish said...

Oh that Charcoal Mooncake is so unique.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I made some this year!! Loving your charcoal mooncake. Looks so beautiful

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Wor, the charcoal mooncake look so beautiful and I bet it must be tasty too. Ok, will press the Voting button immediately.

Claudia said...

Kristy - your mooncakes just enchant. I love that there is no more lotus paste in the stories! Just thinking of everyone baking away. And voted - good luck!

Velva said...

Wow, Kristy these mooncakes are like a work of art. Beautiful.

Juliana said...

Kristy, your mooncakes are SO SO cute :-) Love the 2 layers one!

Pegasuslegend said...

amazing talent here and you have my vote for sure, its in!

FOODnTRAVELla said...

You are a very talented and creative cook. The bamboo charcoal moon cake is a new flavour which I can't find it in the market yet. I definetely agree you should open your own bakery shop.

annna said...

Happy Mid Autumn Festival!! Lovely mooncakes you have here. Too pretty to be eaten. Anyway, I've voted for you for the Project Food Blog! All the best..

MaryMoh said...

Oh my goodness...you added charcoal powder to moon cake skin!! That's new to me! Wonder what next to add....haha. Happy moon cake festival. Hope you have a great day. Going to vote for you. Good Luck!

Abbey said...

wow kristy, these are gorgeous!

Reeni said...

These are stunning mooncakes Kristy! Would love the cinnamon ones! And you can vote for up to 400 people in the competition.

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone,

It's a great honoured for having you here and thank you so much for your support and encouragement. Even if I'm unable to make it to the following round. It's OK! I'm happy enough to have such a bunch of wonderful buddies around me. Thank you all. Love you guys!

Blessings, Kristy

cherry potato said...

I m wondering how is the taste with bamboo charcoal mooncake? I never made baked mooncake before, planing to try this out soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...