Friday, September 3, 2010

Chocolate Mixed Nuts Mooncake (Baked)

Yeap, my first attempt on this mixed nuts mooncake recipe! It's my mom special order....errr... it's actually last year order but I don't have the time to put my hands on this. So, here it is! Well, my mom always complaining that the store bought mixed nuts mooncake is way too sweet for her. She wanted something light and not so sweet. So, I decided to give her another surprise by making her this chocolate flavour mooncake which is completely different from what she used to eat. Hopefully, she will love it!

And here's the recipe.

Ingredients for Mixed Nuts filling :
100gm whole almond, chopped & roasted
100gm walnuts, chopped & roasted
50gm whole hazelnut, roasted
50gm pistachio, roasted
1/2 cup dried cranberry
1/2 cup candied kumquat, chopped
50gm candied melon, chopped
1 cup mixed seeds, roasted
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tpsn salt
200gm cooked glutinous rice (koh fun)/wholemeal bran oat
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp rum
1 tbsp rose water/wine
*
Method :
*
- combine all ingredients in a big bowl and mix well.
- then stir in 4 tbsp corn/olive oil and mix till well combined.
- divide into 40gm ball each for mini size mooncake.


Ingredients for Chocolate Skin Dough :
350gm all purpose flour
350gm chocolate, chopped
105gm corn oil
*
Method :
*
- simmer chocolate and oil over a double boiler untill melted.
- stir chocolate mixture into flour and mix to form a thick paste.
- leave the thick paste to rest for an hour.
- then divide pastry dough into 35gm each (for mini size) .
- start wrapping the mixed nuts filling with the dough and slightly coat the dough with flour.
*
- arrange moulded mooncake onto baking tray and spray water onto each of it
- bake at 200'c for 5 mins and then remove mooncake from oven.
- slightly brush with egg glaze and continue baking at 180'c for another 10 mins or untill golden brown.
* It's best to serve this one day after.
*
This skin texture is unlike the traditional kinda of syrup dough skin. It isn't sweet at all. In fact, it tastes much like cookies with nuts and it's totally packed with seeds flavour.

I'm glad I tried the new skin recipe on this. I think it is incredible! Hopefully, my mom will like the new look of her mooncakes. haha... Just send a package home this morning. Keep my fingers cross!
*
My other mooncakes :
Chilled Mooncake(Non-steamed) & (Steamed dough)
Jelly Mooncakes click here & here

34 comments:

penny aka jeroxie said...

I am just going to stick to normal ones first... just hope to succeed!

My Little Space said...

Penny dear, wishing you all the best! Looking forward to your mooncake post. Hopefully soon! Good luck!
Best wishes, Kristy

Anncoo said...

Really looks very nutty! Love it :)

Angie's Recipes said...

Love its nutty filling! When is the moon festival?

Cheah said...

Kristy, what a co-incidence! I posted mine today too! Also nutty mooncakes. Yours look nice too, enjoy all the chewing!

Barbara said...

Amazing, Kristy! All those goodies filling your mooncake. I loved the photos of one cut in half so we could see exactly how you made them. Yummy!

Lyndsey said...

Kristy these look fantastic! I'm sure she's going to love them. I like the idea of them not being too sweet. Right up my ally...yummy! I have a long weekend coming up and my husband is going out of town, maybe this weekend...

smallkucing said...

Looks good. I know Mixed nuts is very hard to make. Really tabik you la. My MIL love to eat Mixed Nuts

otehlia cassidy said...

Another beautiful snack in a package. I loves these recipes! And so healthy and tasty, too.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Whoa! I never really liked the bean fillings...I wish I knew about mooncakes like this. Looks dee-licious.

Jay said...

Your pics are amazing...I love your write up too...tempting recipe...

lena said...

hi kristy, i got yr message earlier on, will do so as soon as i can. thanks!

5 Star Foodie said...

I love the picture that shows the all the delicious nuts inside, yum!

Priscilla said...

I love your pictures!! and your cakes look great, Im sure your mom is gonna love them.

My Little Space said...

Anncoo : Thank you!

Angie : It's on the 22nd of Sept! You're invited to the mooncake festival here. hehe...

Cheah : Yeah, I saw them! They look so pretty. Just left in the message. Thanks!

Barbara : Oh thank you so much! Glad that you like it too.

Lyndz : I am very much looking forward to your homemade mooncakes too. Can't wait to see them! hehe... All the best, dear friend.

smallkucing : Pei sei-leh! hehe.... Thanks alot! that's very sweet of you.

Otehlia : Glad that you like it too! This looks very much like granola bars, right?

Belinda : Thank you! Hope you'll enjoy by just drooling over this. hahaha....

Jay : Thanks alot! It's a great pleasure for having you here.

Lena : You're welcome! Just take your time. No worries!

Natasha : Thank you! Yeah, I like it too.

Priscilla : Thank you so much. Yes, hopefully hopefully! haha....

Thank you very much all for spending your time here with me today. Hope you're having a fabulous day. Enjoy!

Blessings, Kristy

neyeeloh said...

Kristy,

The mooncake looks so delicious with all the nuts

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Your mooncakes look delicious!!! LOVE all the nuts. I'm sure your mom will love them!

Have a wonderful weekend!

elra said...

I was at the Asian store the other day and saw moon cake. Somehow, it reminded me of you. I didn't buy any, because I knew that you will have the recipe. The only thing I need is the mold :(

Mary said...

What a sweet confection. Your mooncakes look like nougat and I'll wager they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Bridgett said...

Wow, look at all those gorgeous nuts in there. I can imagine this would be a hearty treat. You are so creative!

Reeni said...

Your mooncakes look excellent Kristy! They are so full of delicious treats! Save some for me...
Have a wonderful weekend!xoxo

the lacquer spoon said...

Mooncake is popular in Japan too, but I didn't know the homemade version! Looks so beautiful and delish!!

alison said...

what a nutty mooncake,i love this recipe,kristy,very innovative!

Heavenly Housewife said...

This is the first time I've seen a moon cake that is as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside. It looks positively heavenly!
*kisses* HH

Keri said...

Wowza! These look amazing. I mean really... No calories, no fat, right?

Kumi said...

Wow.. this looks really healthy AND yummy! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

My Little Space said...

Neyeeloh : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space and nice to meet you. Hope to hear from you more often.

Andrea : Thank you! Yeah, hopefully! hehe....

Elra : You can make something out without using the mould. Penny also ordered some mooncake moulds from the site. Maybe you can try that out too!

Mary : Thank you very much. I hope my mom will like it.

Bridgett : Thanks alot. That's very kind of you.

Reeni : Of coz, it's all yours! haha...

Spoon : Thank you. Hopefully, you can show me more about the Japanese mooncakes too. Looking forward to the post.

Alison : Thank you, dear. Hope you will enjoy the recipe as well!

HH : Thanks so much! I'm on cloud 9.... haha....

Keri : Oh wow, thanks alot and glad that you like it to!

Kumi : You're welcome! Hope you will enjoy the recipe as well.

Thanks everyone for spending your weekend here with me. Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Cheers, kristy

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, no worry your mum will sure love it. I am sure my fil will like to have some but too bad he need to keep away from mooncakes since he is having grout.

MaryMoh said...

Kristy, I heard that this is the most expensive moon cakes. You can be rich selling these...haha :D With chocolate, they should cost even more! You sure look like having so much fun there making moon cakes. I'm sure there are going to be more moon cakes from you...am waiting :D

alwayswinner786 said...

Your moon cake creations are wonderful! Who don't want to have a bite of such delicious nutty moon! I wish I could share a piece now!

My Little Space said...

Jess : So sorry about your FIL! I think a slice or two doesn't cause much trouble! Should let him have an least a little treat. Come on, it's mooncake festival! Just let him enjoy. My FIL has diabetic but we still let him enjoy whatever he likes. Just control the amount consume will do!

MaryMoh : Now, are you in the mood already? haha...

Sutapa : Thank you so much! You're such a sweetheart.

Thanks ladies for stopping by and hope you are all having a wonderful day.

Cheers, kristy

citronetvanille said...

I will order a dozen of those please! nuts and chocolate? you're killing me!

MacKenzie @ Fighting the Pudge said...

Kristy, you are such a talent! Everything you make looks like a work of art.

Tiffany said...

That looks RIDICULOUSLY good. And with all the nuts and some fruit I can eat it more often than an actual mooncake. :)

Where do you come up with these ideas? I'm always blown away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...