Thursday, July 17, 2014

Chocolate & Cinnamon Babka ~ The Famous Babka In New York

Babka is such a familiar name to me. I've first learnt about Babka is from Mary from One Perfect Bite, a dear blogger buddy, since a couple years back. But have never thought of trying it even once though. haha.... Weird huh ! And then by early of this year, I was again seduced by the introduction made by Kak Dewi from Elra's Baking on my facebook. She drove me all the way to the most famous & beautiful babka in New York ! And I was stuck there since then. haha.... After a long consideration, I finally decided to make one most famous chocolate babka at home and found some really good info from here & here. And here I go.

Ingredients for bread dough : (2 loaves)
(A)
1 cup  warmed milk
1 TB  yeast
1 TB  sugar
1 cup flour
(mix well and leave to rest for 20 minutes)

(B)
3-3/4 cup bread flour
3 large eggs
120gm  butter, chopped
2 tspn  vanilla paste
1 tspn  salt

Method :  once the ingredients (A) is ready, stir ingredients (B) into (A) to form a soft dough and knead till smooth. Then keep dough into a well sealed plastic bag and keep refrigerated overnight.

Ingredients for chocolate fillings : Please refer here. (double the recipe for 2 loaves)
Or you might as well try out my green tea flavour fillings.

Ingredients for cinnamon sugar spread :
1 cup  brown sugar mixed with 1 TB  cinnamon powder

Ingredients for streusel topping :
60gm  butter, softened
2 TB  brown sugar
2 TB  sugar
1/2 tspn  cinnamon powder
3/4 cup  all purpose flour
(cream butter & sugar till smooth then add in cinnamon & flour to form crumble paste. Keep refrigerated before used)

TO ASSEMBLE :
(1) divide dough into 2 portions, roll each into 12x12" and place chocolate paste into the middle. Wrap it like an envelope and nicely sealed. Unlike the usual process, I'm using the pastry folding method on this.
(2) now, roll wrapped dough into rectangle shape as thin as you could. Then sprinkle on the cinnamon & brown sugar.
(3) next, roll dough like swiss roll from the longer side and then simply twist the rolled dough as much as you could with both hands.
(4) finally, place dough to 4x4x9" tray with parchment papers and let to rest for an hour.
(5) brush on egg glaze or milk then spread on streusel topping and let to bake at preheated oven at 165'C for about 60 minutes or till brown.
(6) once its done, cooled completely before slicing.

Babka is a traditional Jewish bakery specially made during Easter celebration. And also well known as sweet yeasted cake which meaning more eggs & butter are involved in the recipe. Something similar to brioche. And some say Babka is a classic Czech coffee cake as well. Well, whateverso its a scrumptious treat for everyone. My babka turned out looking great. I am a happy happy baker ! :o)

The outcome of this bread like cake is totally out of my expectation and I'm dancing to celebrate this gorgeous cake. Aaaa.... finally, one of the famous babka is in my kitchen right at this moment. What not to be happy about !

15 comments:

Angeline BK said...

Babka, I just know about this Babka yesterday while I was watching Chopped series from channel 727... So ngam today I blog hop over your site that you're making a great babka recipe here. So it taste like cake or like bread?

Jeannie Tay said...

Hi Kristy, I don't normally make bread with filling as my family prefers plain bread to top up with their own fillings but I bet they won't be able to resist this chocolate filling! The streusel is a bonus!

Veronica Ng said...

Thanks for introducing this tempting bread to me. Looks beautiful.

Liz Berg said...

Such a gorgeous loaf! Love that there's streusel on top, too! No wonder you loved it!!!

Zoe said...

Hi Kristy,

This is a gorgeous loaf! Dancing to celebrate??? You are so cute! You must make a video with your famous babka baking and dancing. I'm sure that all your fans will love it :D

Zoe

向日葵葵 said...

Thanks for sharing this. This is new to me. Interesting to know this :D

Medeja said...

Looks like a cake that my grandma used to make for Christmas.. really delicious thing!

Lucia said...

Looking forward to trying this recipe. It looks delicious.

Betty said...

Can I come to you for breakfast? wonderful!
a big kiss

lena said...

hi kristy, that's a very nice looking babka....i hv not tasted one but sound good with chocolate that also comes with a streusel topping. Have a nice weekend, happy baker :D

Angie Schneider said...

A gorgeous babka, Kristy. If I baked this, I would end up finishing the whole loaf by myself!

~~louise~~ said...

Not only are you a "Happy Baker" Kristy, I am a very happy visitor. In all the years I lived in New York, I never once baked Babka! I sure have tasted it before though and it is really yummy. Yours looks as good, maybe even better than any Babka I have tried for a Long Island bakery, lol...Thank you so much for briging me a taste of home, Kristy and for sharing too...

mui mui said...

Kristy, this is such pretty babka. If my loaf turn out to be like yours, I too will be a happy happy happy baker :p
I love the lovely slice of your babka, the swirl chocolate inside looks ..YUM!
mui

Aunty Young(安迪漾) said...

Babka? I hv never seen and eaten this type of bread before. It looks
scrumptious for me. Thanks for sharing.

Diane Balch said...

I have eaten very good Babka in NYC... yours looks just like what I have.. well done. Pinned.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...