Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ayam Penyet

Hey, sorry guys! I know I've been missing for a couple of days. Terribly busy for the past few days! However, I'm posting a quite interesting recipe today. Hope you will like it! Ayam penyet is originated from Surabaya, Indonesia. The unique feature about this is that the chicken meat is flatten - smashed with using a pestle or wooden mallet. That's why this dish is also refer to as flattered chicken. I just found out this from a review. Quite excited! Can't find this special dish around my living area. So, I've got to try this myself.

Ingredients :
3-4 whole chicken legs

Seasoning (blended) :

2/3 tbsp cumin powder, slightly roasted
2/3 tbsp fennel powder, slightly roasted
3 tbsp coriander seeds, pounded
1-1/3 tbsp curry powder
1-1/3 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tspn ground pepper
3 cm ginger, pounded
3/4 tbsp salt

* 1 cup corn flour/starch for coating

Method :

- preheat a pot of water with large onions, carrots, ginger & crashed peppercorn. (do not throw away the water, can be used for making soup)
- boil chicken legs over medium low heat untill cooked.
- remove chicken legs from hot water and leave to cool a little bit before marinade with the blended seasonings.
- then wrap the marinated chicken and leave in the refrigerator for overnight.


- preheat wok/pot with enough oil for frying.
- coat the marinated chicken with corn starch and fry the chicken leg untill golden brown.


- smashed the fried chicken immediately after remove from cooking oil.
- and serve with rice and sambal.

These fried spicy chicken legs look really really crispy and smell terrific too! Definitely, I'll be making this again. Unfortunately, I don't have the sambal with me today. Yet, my family enjoyed it very much!

And before ending this, I would like to thank Deanna @ Cooking And Baking With Deanna and Chaya @ Sweet and Savory for passing this wonderful award to me. I am honoured and really appreciate it. I'll try to follow the rules as requested. hehe....
First of all, I would like to share this award with 10 others foodie friends of mine.

(1) Lyndsey @ The Tiny Skillet
(2) H @ Heavenly Housewife
(3) Jeannie @ Baking Diary
(4) Mary Moh @ Keep Smiling Keep Learning
(5) Divina @ Sense & Serendipity
(6) Claudia @ What's Cookin' Italian Style Cuisine
(7) Reeni @ Cinnamon Spice & Everything Nice
(8) Shirley @ Enriching Your Kid
(9) Cheah @ No-Frills Recipes
(10) Penny @ Jeroxie

Please feel free to drop by to collect your award. Thanks!
And now 10 things that I love the most:

(1) I love dancing.
(2) I love blogging.
(3) I love jokes.
(4) Love window shopping.
(5) Enjoy baking very much.
(6) I love eating my own cooking & baking.
(7) I would love to slim down another few more pounds.
(8) I love watching the sky. It reminds me of the journey of my life.
(9) I love making friends and I'm enjoying it right now!
(10) I love SEX..........Y! haha.... Oh yeah, that's what we all wanted to look.....like a hot sexy housewife huh!

Oh well, hope you all have a wonderful time! And for those names are not listed, please do not feel sad cause there's more coming after this. Cheer up and have fun!

Best Wishes to All,
Kristy

41 comments:

The Gypsy Chef said...

Welcome back! I love the spices. Nice choice of flavors. Your blog always has yummy recipes on it.
Congratulations on your award! You deserve it!
Pam

3 hungry tummies said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I'm going to make some this weekend!

Lyndsey said...

You are so funny! I love your honesty, especially in number 10 :) hehe!

Congrats on the award and thank you! You are a good friend!!! Oh, and I am making this dish!! it look fabulous!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Fascinating dish daaaaahling, I hope it lived up to your expectations. I loved learing more about you. LOL on number 10, you are so funny :D. Thank you so much for passing the award to to me.
*kisses* HH

Cheah said...

Thanks Kristy for passing the award to me. You always have unusual but fantastic recipes on your blog and you are so humourous!

Blackswan said...

Hey, congrats! And oh, I love Ayam Penyat! Those served in S'pore has crispy lemongrass sprinkled on them. Yummy!

Angie's Recipes said...

An interesting way to prepare the chicken! Look intriguing.

My Little Space said...

Pam : Hi there, so nice to hear from you. Glad that you like it too! Hope to see around more often.

3HTummies : Good luck & have fun!

Lyndsey : Let me know the outcome, OK! Have fun!

HH : Oh well, just having fun! Maybe we don't have the right figure anymore but we still need to look sexy, right!

Cheah : Hope you have fun too! Happy blogging!

Shirley : Yeah, I know there's some topping but have no idea what it was. Thank you so much for telling me! I'll try to make the topping too next time.

Hope you all have a wonderful time and good luck!

Cheers, Kristy

chrisau said...

The Ayam penyet a bit different from Spore. They placed it on a small wooden round plate... with lime and some cabbage. I love it!

Bob said...

Congratz on the award! The chicken looks phenomenal, so crispy and perfectly browned. But I do have to wonder why it gets flattened...

Mary said...

Congratulations on your award. It is well deserved. Your chicken sounds delicious. Why is it flattened?

My Little Space said...

Chrisau : I should try it in my next visit to S'pore then! Thanks for sharing.

Mary & Bob : The chicken has to be flattened is to loosen the meat from the bone. It's their tradition to do so!

Have a nice day!

Cheers, Kristy

Jeannie said...

That chicken looks so delicious! But I think they look more flattering without being flattened lol! I'll probably deboned the chicken first before frying:D
Congrats for the award and thanks for passing it on to me...I love your 10th item about yourself;)

Claudia said...

Yay for your award - well deserved! And double yays for your chicken dish - flattened and flattered! The spice ingredients are mouth-watering - this has to be grand.

pegasuslegend said...

You are so kind! I just want your puppy!!! lol the recipe is just awesome printed it out to make, thanks for the award, your such a great friend and put a smile on my fast everytime I visit you :)

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

Your so funny! I love this chicken! So delicious! And congrats on your award, thanks for thinking of me, and for sharing so many tidbits about yourself.

Elra said...

I miss this ayam penyet. Makan pakai nasi panas. Sedap!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

This looks so delciious but so do all ur creations...

MaryMoh said...

Hi Kristy, thanks very much for the lovely award. Really appreciate very much. Great looking chicken. I would really love that with rice. Looks better than KFC....love all the spices. And great to know you more....wow...wow....wow....utterly interesting! Now we all know what you are doing when you go missing or too busy....LOL LOL !!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Phwoar! I want to make flattened chicken with the BBQ stove now. I am sure that it smells fantastic.

And thanks soooo MUCH for the award! You are so kind. :D

Peanutts said...

That looks delish , must give it a try. Oh was meaning to ask you something, every year that i have been here I always come across this garlic sort of bulb like veg in supermarkets.Its labeled as arrowroot its usually seen when chinese new year is coming up. Any ideas on how to cook it?

Barbara said...

Good spices on your smashed chicken.... and love that you smash the chicken AFTER it's cooked! It looks nice and crunchy.

And also love your comment about sex. Laughed out loud. I have never seen that on anyone's list before so I think they should stop asking us to list.....yours took the prize!

Katy ~ said...

Congratulations on your lovely award. Well deserved. It was fun learning more about you.

Yummy chicken recipe. Looks so good with all those heady spices!

Chow and Chatter said...

this looks great Kristy congrats on your award love the list!!

love Rebecca

5 Star Foodie said...

How interesting that the chicken is smashed after its already fried! I love the spices here!

Aux délices des gourmets said...

la panure de ces cuisse me plait beaucoup, bien épicés et bien parfumés
bonne journée

Joy said...

LOL i laughed at your last "about me" answer hahahaha
I just pounded out some chicken breast last week and had no "fun" recipe, I wish I wouldve had this one! I love the use of spices, do you think I'd be able to bake them in the oven to get the same "fried" effect? Thanks for the help!

Aux délices des gourmets said...

bravo pour ce prix tu le mérites tu as un joli blog
bonne soirée

Laura in Paris said...

I've been away too, but happy to be back! This recipe looks yummie!

My Little Space said...

Hi Ladies,

I was trying to play a little dirty here. haha... I could see that you ladies enjoying it soooo very much! I'm glad we had fun here and I hope that will help to make your day a little easier.

Have a wonderful day!

Cheers, Kristy

My Little Space said...

Joy : I'm not sure about baking them in the oven. I have not tried it in the oven before. Probably, you can give it a go and let me know about the out come! Thanks.

Beset regards, Kristy

alison said...

oh,kristy,you are so funny!and the chicken is so goood!

Divina Pe said...

Sorry, it took me long to get this award. Thank you so much for the award. You're so sweet. Now, I am having a different view after you mentioned #10. LOL. I'm sure you're one hot sexy mama. :D Nice looking dish. You have to cook for me one day too.

Shirley said...

Hey Kristy,
Thanks for the award! Just returned from a family wedding, so late to collect the award.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

My kids love this - thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Fabulous blend of spices!!

A Little Yumminess said...

Love Ayam penyet and have been looking for a recipe. Will print and try real soon!

yudha said...

That looks goooooooooood! I just finished preparing dinner and so am hungry and that post just hit me between the eyes!! I'm an ayam penyet junkie too!!

fajar uno said...

food was delicious. hmm I want to try it. I hope your article can enlighten the hearts of people for many

Jess said...

Hiya Kirsty, do you reckon I can bake it instead of frying?

My Little Space said...

Hi Jess, so sorry for the late reply The best still by frying it for crispy skin but I don't reckon baking it. However, you could give it a go and let me know the result. >o<
All the best.
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...