Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Potatoes Stew With Noodle

This potatoes stew always my favourite dish when I was little and still is! This is also my first recipe in cooking. My mom used to cook this with pork chop and it tasted absolutely fantastic. Now, it's my turn to cook for my children! Yeah, time just flies by huh.
*
Ingredients :
*
200gm boneless chicken breast, sliced into bite size
5 potatoes, cut into wedges
1 large onion, quartered
*
Seasoning :

3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tspn dark soy sauce (optional)
2 cups water
ground pepper to taste
* Thickening : 1/3 cup water + 1 tspn corn starch (optional)
*
Method :
*
- marinade sliced chicken breast with some HP sauce/Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and 2 tspn corn starch.
- preheat frying pan/wok with enough oil to fry the potatoes.
- fry potatoes untill golden brown and set aside.
- remove oil from the previous frying pan and leave only about 2 tbsp cooking.
- stir in marinated chicken meat and saute untill cooked.



- add in onion & fried potatoes once the chicken meat is ready and simmer for about one minute.
- switch to low heat, add in seasonings except water and stir well.
- now add in water and switch to medium heat.
- let it simmer untill the potatoes became tender.
- omit the thickening if the gravy already thick enough.
- off the heat once it's ready to serve.
Now, here's the potatoes stew. You need to prepare more gravy if serve with noodles. Probably, add in an extra 1 cup of water and 1 tbsp oyster sauce. Normally, I cooked extra and save some for the next day to go with noodles.


- boil any kind of noodles as desired and veggies untill cooked or soft. (suggesting instant noodles)
- then place noodle to a plate, add in 1 tspn sesame oil and mix well.
- finally, top with potatoes stew and boiled veggies.

31 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

wonderful one dish meal! it looks so flavoursome

Donna-FFW said...

Looks like a scrumptious one pot meal, with loads of flavor. Totally perfect for a chilly day!

Barbara said...

Super recipe, Kristy! It warmed me up just looking at it!

Angie's Recipes said...

Still little or still your favourite? ;-) Just kidding..
The stew looks great with lots of greens!

reanaclaire said...

my sons' favorite dish, stewed potatoes with chicken or minced pork, they simply love this dish.. but to eat with noodles, it is the first time ever... must try it one day.. :)

Shirley said...

I'd love to try this one! I didnt know that there were 2 kinds of soy sauce, light and dark.

Heavenly Housewife said...

This looks like a very heart meal. Great for this cold weather we are having here in England.

Ruth said...

Looks gorgeous and so simple to make. Could quite easily have it even without the noodles

My Little Space said...

3HT : No doubt, this is my favourite!

Donna : You're so right!

Barbara : Thank you very much!

Angie : I think my kids would just dig out the greens!

Claire : More oyster sauce & light soy sauce to be added in. Need stronger taste for the gravy.

Shirley : Good luck!

HH : Yeah, I've seen the news. Horrible snow storm huh! You do take care lol!

Ruth : You're so right! Or you may also go with bread *wink*!

Have a great day!

Cheers, Kristy

Lyndsey said...

Looks so good! I love making dishes that my mom used to make. Nice memories. Your kids like it your way?

Anncoo said...

I going to try your Mom's recipe soon :)

chrisau said...

woah..i love stew potatos with meat. It always whet my appetite!

pigpigscorner said...

This looks so good! potatoes and noodles..yum! Very comforting.

Cheah said...

This dish can kill 2 birds with one stone, can go with rice or mee. Had eaten potato stew before but not with mee, will give it a try.

Bob said...

That sounds wicked good. I'm intrigued by vegetarian oyster sauce too.

Stacy said...

Looks so hearty and full of flavor! I am also intrigued by the vegetarian oyster sauce...

Claudia said...

Scrumptious. I am ready to be comforted by your potato stew!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I'd love to cozy up to a bowl of your delicious stew! It's soup weather here! This looks wonderful!

Jeannie said...

I have not cooked potatoes for ages.... and even then, I'll just add them to soups and curries. Must try this recipe soon. :D

Mary said...

This looks like the perfect winter casserole. I'll wager this is delicious.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Comfort food is timeless. Looks so yummy to me.

MaryMoh said...

I know my children will really like this cos they love noodles but they may leave out the potatoes and pour more gravy over it. It's always interesting how we do what our mom did. Now my children are also following me. So...we better behave well...LOL

Aux délices des gourmets said...

ton assiette a l'air succulente je note la recette
bonne journée

5 Star Foodie said...

This looks like ultimate comfort food with potatoes and noodles! Super yummy!

Juliana said...

Oh! This look very yummie, although have not had with potatoes, but veggies...this should be great for the cold weather...should try soon since have potatoes in my fridge :-)

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog said...

Today is cold here and this fabulous stew should be wonderful for dinner!

Cheers,

Gera

Katy ~ said...

Filling, warm, comforting stew. So delicious and nurturing.

Anna said...

Love, love, the idea with the potato. Must be yummy.

Olive♥ said...

sounds really delicious..I feel nostalgic too when I cook my fave childhood food for my kids..thanks for sharing..
Happy and Prosperous 2010 to you and your family!

CheapAppetite said...

YUM! i really glad that you continue the legacy of your favorite dish your mom made you. Now your kids will learn how about it. Serving it on noodles is a good idea. I love noodles:)

alwayswinner786 said...

This is super yummy!
Great soup with good blend of flavor and taste.A whole meal for winter evenings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...