Friday, February 11, 2011

Chinese Chicken Meat Roll @ Wu Xiang

Hello dear friends & readers, I know I've been away for quite long. It was a hectic season and a lot of travellings need to be done. Actually, I just had the new year party at my place a day ago. Yes, was busy cooking & cleaning for the past two days. I have prepared all together 10 dishes for 15 people for the party. NO, not a potluck party! I have to cook everything all by myself. Well, it's all begin with the gifted chicken which you can see as below.

This home breed chicken was gifted by a dear friend 3 days before the Chinese New Year. It is as big as a turkey and it's about the size of a 5Litre bottle. I was shocked when he handed me the chicken. This is the first time I'm dealing with such a big poultry. I knew we're not going to be able to finish the chicken just the four of us. So, decided to invite some friends over after all the travellings has completed.

The chicken is so big that I don't even know what to do with it as it can hardly fit into my small oven. haha.... So, I cut out three quarter of the chicken breast which already weight about 600gm and then flatten the whole chicken onto a baking tray which fits into my oven just perfectly. Finally, I came out with a baked mixed herbs black pepper chicken. And using the leftover chicken fillet for this Chinese meat rolls. This recipe is adapted from Quay Po Cooks. Have to thank Venorica & her dear friend for sharing such wonderful recipe. Do hop over to check out more yummilicious recipes from her kitchen.

And here's the recipe.
Ingredients :
500-600gm chicken fillet, cut in strips
1 small jicama, cut in strips
1 big onion, sliced
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 beancurd sheet for wrapping
1 egg for brushing
*
Seasoning :
2 tspn vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tspn dark soy sauce/dark sweet sauce
2 tspn sugar
1/2 tspn salt
1 tbsp chinese five spice
1 cube fermented red beancurd/Lam yu
pepper to taste
1 tspn sesame oil
2/3 cup green pea flour


Method :
(1) marinade chicken with seasoning overnight.
(2) cut beancurd sheet about the size of 8.5x5" or any other size as desired.
(3) brush both side and on the end of the wrapping sheet with beaten egg.
(4) place in the marinated meat, sesame seeds and jicama strips, wrap tightly & nicely sealed the edges.
(5) fry the wrapped rolls untill golden brown.
(6) serve warm with chili sauce or any dipping as desired.

I made all together 13 meat rolls from 600gm of the chicken fillet, more than enough to feed 15 of us. The rolls turned out great and it tastes as good as those pork meat rolls.

In older days, the Chinese normally using pork caul fat to make the wrapping but in later days we substitute the wrapping with beancurd sheet which is healthier and crispier. Pork caul fat is a thin layer of membrane of fat covering the intestine of a pig, sheep or cow. If you're using pork caul fat for the wrapping, always remember to do a proper cleaning to wash away the unpleasant smell. Hope you will like my version of 'wu xiang' five spice meat rolls too. Enjoy!
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

36 comments:

Anncoo said...

Kristy, The chicken is huge...I think you can your guests is a turkey...hahaa..
I love your meat roll, looks so delicious and cooking for 15 peoples is no easy job!

j3ss kitch3n said...

your meat roll is so beautiful must be very delicious!!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Those meat rolls look really yummy. Diane

penny aka jeroxie said...

Oh! I so want to make this as well.... love the crispy skin.

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

I love beancurd wrapped stuff! hard to go wrong right? Great combo of textures with crispy skin and flavourful filling YUM

oh btw I have a giveway going in my blog for Chinese cooking products :P

cheapappetite said...

This chicken wrap look wonderful kristy. Your friend is so nice. No one ever give me a whole chicken before. But I'd probably don't know what to do if I got one. lol. You are so good at using up the whole thing. :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

This is the first time I saw wu Xiang wrapped with chicken meat! How original! Much easier I have to say compared to the minced pork version. ;) thanks for sharing this fabulous recipe, I love wu Xiang!

AngelineBK said...

Hmm...nicely wrap! Will try to make this for next year CNY. hahahah....

Small Kucing said...

My MIL made these for CNY. Only difference is she mince the meat so that kids can makan

dinewithleny said...

Wow looks so nice. I made wu xiang with minced pork for CNY too. Yours looks delicious. Great idea to try with chicken.

Pegasuslegend said...

love the chicken idea awesome!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I absolutely love this!! SOOOO absolutely delicious.

Jeannie said...

Looking at your delicious we xiang, I remembered I have bought a packet of beancurd sheet but forgot to make them lol! And boy! was that chicken the biggest bird alive!

Cheah said...

Kristy
Your wu xiang looks delicious and is the chicken a 'Yim Kai'? The bird is gigantic!

Alice Law said...

I have yet try this Wu Xiang meat roll with chicken, normally with minced pork and vege, sound new and interesting to me!^-^

Emily Malloy said...

Kristy, this has me DROOLING!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Love the flavors! What a tasty dish!

Angie's Recipes said...

This is totally Hokkien and delicious! I love them with some garlic flavoured chilli sauce!

Yin said...

I'm drooling just looking at your "lo bak"
Reminded me those days back in Penang sitting beside the road side and eating "lo bak" and prawn fritters:-)

Preparting 10 dishes on your own, I salute you! "Gong Xi Fa Cai"

Kumi said...

Kristy, this looks amazing! Love bean curd wrapped stuff.. Yum!!

Cathy said...

Wow, Kristy, your chicken looks delicious. I've never seen bean curd wrappers and will have to look for them at the Asian market.

AngelineBK said...

Kristy, now i know u r Johor people. Miss Johor food ler...Johor, where?

Beachlover's Kitchen said...

love this kind of bean curd roll!! bet it's must taste delicious!!

Nammi said...

are you sure thats a chicken!!! looks huge!!!!

My Little Space said...

Ann : Haha.... but the head can't hide the lies!

Jess : Thank you! Should invite you over for tea. haha...

Diane : Thanks!

Penny : Can you get this kind of beancurd sheet over there?

Jen : Hi there, thanks for stopping by and glad you like these rolls too. And also thank you for keeping inform. will check it soon.

Tana : Ya, our dear friend will gift us one or two of his home breed chicken every year. Very thoughtful of him.

Bee : I must practise some halal recipes so that hubby's Malay sis-in-law can also enjoy all the dishes with us.

Angeline : Same to you! Are you sure you're going to cook on the next CNY? :o)

Kathy : Ya, tradition wu xiang main ingredient is minced pork but hubby & the kids not a big fan of pork. Well, chicken tasted as good though.

Leny : Ya, I saw your homemade meat roll! They look fantastic.

Claudia : Thank you very much!

Brownieville Girl said...

What a fantastic gift.

Love what you did with it!

My Little Space said...

Belinda : Wanna join me? :o)

Jeannie : Relax! You can cook something on the weekend.

Cheah : NO, it's not 'yim gai' but just a common 'bak gai'!

Alice : You think Juan Juan can make this too? haha...

Emily : Wish you could join us!

Andrea : Thank you very much!

Angie : Btw, do you manage to get those beancurd sheet over your side?

Yin : Am I making you home sick? haha... I bet you'll miss your family during this festive season.

Kumi : Thanks alot!

Cathy : All the best! Looking forward to your homemade Asian meat rolls. :o)

Angeline : I live in Johor but I'm not JOhor people. I'm originated from the North too.

BeachloverK : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and glad you like the rolls too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Nammi : Yes, it is! So nice of my friend. He sent in at least one or two of his home breed poultry every year. I am blessed and thankful for his kindness.

Brownieville Girl : Thank you so much!

Thank you everyone for spending your valueable time here with me. It's such a great pleasure to see you all. Hope you're all having a terrific day.

Blessings, Kristy

Fimère said...

une façon très originale de cuisiner du poulet, j'adore
bonne soirée

lena said...

your meat roll looks delicious and very nicely wrapped. cooking for 10 persons? wow, i guess that must be so much work and preparation to be done. you're fantastic! btw, where's your hometown?

My Little Space said...

Fimere : Je vous remercie et vous heureux comme ça aussi. Profitez !

Lena : Cooking for 15! Sweating from morning till night. lol! haha... Glad that everyone loves every single dish and not much left by the end of the day. They even 'da bao' home the leftovers. ha... I only cooking for them twice a year which is on the new year day & ghost festival. I'm originated from the North. :o)

Thanks ladies for visitng and spending your time here with me today. Really appreciate it.
Hope you're having a great day.

Cheers, Kristy

Beth said...

That looks SO good!

Courtney said...

Gosh this looks absolutely delicious. My mouth is watering. I must give this a try. :)

My Little Space said...

Thanks,Beth!

Courtney : Hope you will like it! Btw, do you manage to get those beancurd sheet specially for wrapping one on your side? All the best.

Chees, Kristy

cherry potato said...

这鸡肉卷让我想起了我母亲做的五香肉卷。口水流满地了。

Lyndsey said...

Kristy I missed this one all together. I was checking out all your recipes using bean curd sheets. That was one big chicken! Wow!

My Little Space said...

Hey Lyndz, hope you'll enjoy the beansheet recipes. You can replace the pea flour with tapioca flour or cornstarch. It helps to stick them up in one piece. :o) Enjoy!
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...