Chinese Chicken Meat Roll @ Wu Xiang

Hello dear friends & readers, I know I've been away for quite long. It was a hectic season and a lot of travellings need to be done. Actually, I just had the new year party at my place a day ago. Yes, was busy cooking & cleaning for the past two days. I have prepared all together 10 dishes for 15 people for the party. NO, not a potluck party! I have to cook everything all by myself. Well, it's all begin with the gifted chicken which you can see as below.

This home breed chicken was gifted by a dear friend 3 days before the Chinese New Year. It is as big as a turkey and it's about the size of a 5Litre bottle. I was shocked when he handed me the chicken. This is the first time I'm dealing with such a big poultry. I knew we're not going to be able to finish the chicken just the four of us. So, decided to invite some friends over after all the travellings has completed.

The chicken is so big that I don't even know what to do with it as it can hardly fit into my small oven. haha.... So, I cut out three quarter of the chicken breast which already weight about 600gm and then flatten the whole chicken onto a baking tray which fits into my oven just perfectly. Finally, I came out with a baked mixed herbs black pepper chicken. And using the leftover chicken fillet for this Chinese meat rolls. This recipe is adapted from Quay Po Cooks. Have to thank Venorica & her dear friend for sharing such wonderful recipe. Do hop over to check out more yummilicious recipes from her kitchen.

And here's the recipe.
Ingredients :
500-600gm chicken fillet, cut in strips
1 small jicama, cut in strips
1 big onion, sliced
1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
1 beancurd sheet for wrapping
1 egg for brushing
*
Seasoning :
2 tspn vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tspn dark soy sauce/dark sweet sauce
2 tspn sugar
1/2 tspn salt
1 tbsp chinese five spice
1 cube fermented red beancurd/Lam yu
pepper to taste
1 tspn sesame oil
2/3 cup green pea flour


Method :
(1) marinade chicken with seasoning overnight.
(2) cut beancurd sheet about the size of 8.5x5" or any other size as desired.
(3) brush both side and on the end of the wrapping sheet with beaten egg.
(4) place in the marinated meat, sesame seeds and jicama strips, wrap tightly & nicely sealed the edges.
(5) fry the wrapped rolls untill golden brown.
(6) serve warm with chili sauce or any dipping as desired.

I made all together 13 meat rolls from 600gm of the chicken fillet, more than enough to feed 15 of us. The rolls turned out great and it tastes as good as those pork meat rolls.

In older days, the Chinese normally using pork caul fat to make the wrapping but in later days we substitute the wrapping with beancurd sheet which is healthier and crispier. Pork caul fat is a thin layer of membrane of fat covering the intestine of a pig, sheep or cow. If you're using pork caul fat for the wrapping, always remember to do a proper cleaning to wash away the unpleasant smell. Hope you will like my version of 'wu xiang' five spice meat rolls too. Enjoy!
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...