Monday, February 28, 2011

Homemade Hakka "Yong Tou Fu' @ Stuffed Bean Curd

My 6th out of the 10 dishes I made for my previous New Year party. This is 'Hakka Yong Tofu' or stuffed bean curd but my friends calling it as ' Ah Yee Yong Tofu'. haha.....They said it's my signature dish. So, they put my name on it. :P Hakka is one of the Chinese dialect other than Cantonese, Hokkien, Fok Chow....and many many more. They all speaks in different way and even cooked differently. My parents are both Cantonese so that makes me a Cantonese too. The funny thing was my dad prefer making western food and my mom only make simple meal. There's no particular or signature dish for them. As far as I know, Cantonese cooking is more to sweet flavouring and Hakka is more to salty.

And I have mine version here.

Ingredients :
500gm fish paste
5 pcs pressed tofu
10 red chilies
20 fried tofu puffs
1 eggplant, here


Ingredients for gravy :
3 cups water
3 shallots, roughly chopped
1 inch knob ginger, roughly smashed
1 tbsp fermented soy bean paste
3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tspn light soy sauce
pepper to taste


Method :
(1) firstly, clean, cut & stuffs all the ingredients with fish paste then set aside.
(2) now, place all the gravy ingredients into a big pot and bring to boil.
(3) then switch to low heat, in another hand prepare another frying pan/wok with oil to fry all the stuffed ingredients.
(4) fry all the stuffed ingredients over low heat untill light brown and then transfer them to the gravy pot & continue boiling over low heat for about 20-30 mins.


* Only put in the stuffed chilies 10 mins before it's ready.


Of course, other than using bean curd, tofu puffs, eggplants & chillies for stuffing. You might as well use bitter gourd, ladyfingers, mushroom and bean curd sheet (for wu xiang).

Now, here's the 7th out of the 10 dishes. I'm trying to balance my menu with this special vegetarian dish by using vegetarian lamb meat. Basically, vegetarian meat is made of flour or soy bean and meaning pretty much tasteless. By making it in this way, it's a total winner. I have been quiet the whole night about this vegetarian dish, unless someone ask me about it. Well, they did! They started asking questions after their first bite on it. haha... They were surprised when I told them this is a vegetarian dish because it doesn't taste like one. The whole dish gone within a second. Well, you might as well use the real lamb meat by following the same recipe as given below. If the meat is too dense then add in a little extra water to simmer untill tender.


Ingredients for Vegetarian Creamy Curry Lamb :
500gm vegetarian lamb meat
500gm potatoes
2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed & cut into 2
1-1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp kurma powder (corriander powder for replacememnt)
2 cups coconut milk

Blended paste :
1 large onion
1 inch ginger
5 cloves garlic
10 birds eye chillies

Method : Please refer here.
*
My Chinese New Year Party Menu Listed as follow :
(1) Chinese Chicken Meat Roll @ wu xiang
(2) Simple Stir Fried Spicy Fern Shoots
(3) Ikan Kembung With Pickled Mustard In Assam Soup
(4) Yu Shang @ Raw Fish Salad
(5) Baby Kai Lan In Braised Taro
(6) Hakka Stuffed Bean Curd @ Yong Tofu
(7) Vegetarian Lamb Meat In Creamy Curry
(8) Fragrant rice & White rice
(9) Roasted Black Pepper Chicken
(10) Desserts : Swirl Berry Cheesecake & 'Kuai Lin Go' Jelly

32 comments:

Cooking Gallery said...

I have always wanted to try yong tou fu...! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Kristy :).

divya said...

Looks yum and wonderful pics ..

Ana Rita said...

Sounds delicious...Love anything in curry sauce!

Bjoka

Rita

Mlle Paradis said...

thanks Kristy for all these delicious recipes. wish i could have been there! it looks like you got your New Year off to a very good start! (i LOVE stuffed tofu!)

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love fried tofu like this!! Super delicious and flavorful!!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

That curried lamb looks just my type of dish. Diane

Lyndsey said...

All your dishes that I've seen so far look awesome! You were very busy. So funny that you kept your mouth shut and just let them eat the curried "lamb"...and they loved ...of course!

I'll get in touch with you soon!
XOXO
Lyndsey

Pegasuslegend said...

awesome just awesome`

Jeannie said...

I love yong tou fu a lot! Yours definitely looks delicious...look at all that fillings spilling out! yummy!

Elin said...

Kristy...gosh you are still in the CNY moo! :) Great YTF...salivating just looking at them. Reminds me I must make some this weekend. Thanks Kristy for sharing this awesome YTF.

Have a great day dear,
Elin

Small Kucing said...

The YTF you made looks so delicious.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

哇.....很棒啊,这种家常料理我最喜欢了:)

Hayley said...

Mmmm yummy! I love yong tao foo! Especially the eggplant one!

Wai Kitt said...

Hi Kristy, thanks for your concern.
Actually it is my own problem recently, really not much time to spend on blogging. Feel sorry too couldn't go thru all your posts.

Just to tell you that i also had prepared the fish paste last week and intend to make this Hakka Yong You Fu this week too! Your dishes really make me salivate come out!

Anncoo said...

I love yong tau foo very much. You're a great cook Kristy. All your CNY dishes look perfect and of course including the pepper chicken and dessert lol!

Blackswan said...

I like the brinjal best. I like yong tau foo but have not tried making an entire list like u :)

MaryMoh said...

Oooooh...I love yong tao fu. Really miss that. It's difficult to get tofu here...small place. Your curry lamb looks very delicious, too. You have so much great food for your Chinese New Year! Hope you have a great day! :D

shabunam said...

I would like to pass on this award to you , go here for the details http://yumanddelish.blogspot.com/2011/02/blueberry-pancakes-with-maple-cinnamon.html

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

I am too lazy to get my hands making YTF since I can easily buy from outside. Anyway, nothing beat home make , yours look so delicious.

Emily Malloy said...

This has made me so hungry!

Katerina said...

You put a lot of effort to these dishes and they look delicious!

Jess @ Bakericious said...

Kristy, your yong tau fu looks so delicious, better than store bought.

Zoe said...

Even in Melbourne, we can buy frozen Yong Tou Fu easily and have taken granted with this convenience.

I like the idea of your homemade Yong Tou Fu with gravy...I really your guests and family having such a delicious spread of food :D

cherry potato said...

你做的“Yong Tau Fu"和我们这里不一样。所以我第一次在西马和新加坡看到这名称时还以为是真的豆腐。

My Life as the canning wife said...

Wow!! I just wish you could just come cook a dinner for me!! All of this food looks insanely good, now I just need to pick a recipe and go for it:) I will let you know when I do!! Thanks:)

Medeja said...

All these dishes look so exotic to me.. :) totally unknown taste :)

My Little Space said...

Cooking Gallery : You're most welcome! Hope you will like it too.

Divya : Thank you!

Ana : :o) Enjoy!

Mille Paradis : Oh do you! How nice if you can join in too!

Belinda : Fried tofu! Do you mean Hong Kong style smelly tofu ? haha....

Diane : Great then! Hope you will enjoy the recipe too.

Lyndz : No problem! We catch up later. :o)

Claudia : Thank you thank you!

Jeannie : haha... reminds you of Ampang yong tofu? You're lucky staying at KL!

My Little Space said...

Elin : Ya, almost finish! haha...

mama Kathy : You're lucky stayng at KL. Can enjoy all kinds of great food there.

Blue Wales : Reminds you of your mom? :o)

Wai Kitt : Glad that you're fine! Don't worry. Just take your time.

Ann : Thanks! Next time should invite you along. haha...

MaryMoh : I think you could only have that in London. lol! Probably, you should start making your own tofu instead. haha....

Shanunam : Thank you very much for the award. That's very kind of you to think of me. I am honoured to have that.

Sonia : Ya, I know people living in KL are very lucky. There are all kinds fo cuisines available in KL with reasonable rpice as well.

Emily : :o) Help yourself, darling!

Katerina : Thanks alot! I hope my guests will go home with a happy belly.

Zoe : You're lucky! But is the filling still bouncy after long period of freezing?

Chin : Is it? I don't know about that! Well then, you must show me one day. What is the version you normally have back there!

Canning Wife : OK! I'm looking forward to it. Hope you will like it. All the best. :o)

Thank you everyone for visiting and spending your time here with me. It's a great pleasure for having you around. Hope your every visit is a joy.
Have a fabulous day, guys!

Blessings, Kristy

lena said...

ahyee, i love yong tau foo and whenever i cook, i will also cook like you did. I guess the vegetarian dish must be very tasty,i would also love to try my hands at cooking vegetarian one day!

FOODESSA said...

Now this is certainly a meal I wasn't familiar with. It does look delicious ;o)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

Magic of Spice said...

Looks so delicious, I am not familiar with this dish but I am enjoying the flavors. I have never seen vegetarian oyster sauce before.
Beautiful dish :)

Magic of Spice said...

Looks so delicious, I am not familiar with this dish but I am enjoying the flavors. I have never seen vegetarian oyster sauce before.
Beautiful dish :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...