Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ikan Kembung With Pickled Mustard In Asam Soup

This is the second dish out of the 10 which I made for the party. I'm not an extreme big fan of those New Year dishes and had been having steamboat or hot pot for the past couple of days. Friends around also complaining about it. Oh NO, it's a stop for me! So, I have finally decided to make a change in my menu ...more to 'kampung' cooking. Hubby is the luckiest cause I'm making his favourite dishes. haha.... This recipe is actually from hubby's Malay sis-in-law where I saw her making for her lunch on new year eve. This is a very appetizing and simple dish to prepare. I got hooked to it since then.

And here we go.

Ingredients :
2-3 ikan kembung, cut into half
400gm pickled mustard, sliced thinly
1 lemongrass, halves & flatten
2 pieces asam slices, soaked
3-4 cups of water
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn organic sugar

Grounded Paste :
4 cloves garlic
4 shallots
4 Birdseye chilies
a few slices ginger


Method :
(1) preheat a non-stick pot with just enough cooking oil.
(2) stir in grounded paste, turmeric powder, asam slices and lemongrass; cook untill aromatic.
(3) add in water and bring to boil.
(4) next add in pickled mustard and sugar, leave to boil for about 5 mins over medium heat.
(5) finally, place in the fish and leave to simmer untill cooked.
(6) serve hot.

This is the preserved mustard I'm using.

I especially love the sour & spicy soup. My mouth is watering even just mentioned about it. haha... It's a very well received dish and is also something new to them. Everyone enjoying it so much. Hope you will like it too. Enjoy!

I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

21 comments:

Reva said...

lovely lovely dish... yummy.
Reva

Little Inbox said...

I love to drink the soup. It's really appetizing.

reanaclaire said...

yummy!! i can imagine how it tastes like... sourish and spicyish.. i love!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Interesting dish, sounds very yummy. Diane

lena said...

mouthwatering indeed! love assam soup so much!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Such a neat dish - would love to try it! Your hubby is one lucky guy!

My Little Space said...

Reva : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. Glad you like this too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Little Inbox : Yes, it is! All the flavour is in the soup and even the mustard became so sweet & tender, very nice to chew on. I added an extra chili dipping for the fish. Yumm...

Claire : Guess, you should know how to make this easy dish! It's simple enough for a super busy mom. :o)

Diane : Thank you very much!

Lena : Ya, me too!

Belinda : Hope you will like it too! Something easy for everyone. All the best!

Thanks ladies for spending your weekend with me. It's such a great pleasure to see you all.
Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Cheers, Kristy

divya said...

Wow simply superb..

Lyndsey said...

Whew! I finally can leave a message...I think something was up with my connection. This looks divine! It's always a plus when it's your husband's favorite!

Jeannie said...

I am salivating just looking at the photo! I love sour dishes, they are very appetising:D Happy Valentine's Day to you Kristy!

penny aka jeroxie said...

simple but yummy. i love using salted vegetables in my soup.

Kimberly Peterson said...

Wowww it has been AGES since I've had "Kiam Chai Thng" (Salted Vegetables Soup)!! Waaahhhh.. homesick.

Cheah said...

Hey, this is very appetising, Kristy! I'll love it too!

denise @ bread expectations said...

Hey Kristy - Happy Valentine's Day *kiss kiss* LOL

Hope you and your sweetheart have a wonderful day together :)

Love this dish - my grandma used to cook for me all the time, but my boys and hubby don't like fish and sour flavours so much, so once in a while, when I cannot tahan, I cook for myself. *sigh*

Pegasuslegend said...

Amazing soup I know I would love it with this fish !

Heavenly Housewife said...

Ten dishes? That party must have left you feeling absolutely exhausted. Hope your family makes it up to you today, on valentines day!
*kisses* HH

MaryMoh said...

Oooh...I love this dish...sourish and appetising. I can still eat even if I am full :P Would love to see your other Chinese New Year dishes. Hope you have a wonderful day.

My Little Space said...

Divya : Thank you very much!

Lyndz : Not the connection problems but it's actually the site! I've been facing the same problem for past few weeks too. Hated it! Thank you for being patient. :o)

Jeannie : Same to you!

Penny : Ya, exactly! Glad that you're liking it too.

Kim : I thought you can get it there too! Bet your hubby isn't a big fan of it. haha...

Cheah : I can have this just with some white rice. And it's so satisfying.

Denise : See, that's the same problem we're facing! Things that we love not always their favourites.

Claudia : Thank you very much!

HH : Ya, I am almost drained out by the end of the day. But happy! It's a great party. I think I fed them well. haha....

MaryMoh : Me too! I like drinking that soup too.

Thank you all for stopping by and leaving such lovely comments. I'm really appreciate it.
Hope you're all having a fabulous day too.

Cheers, Kristy

cherry potato said...

很开胃的一道汤,会很腥吗?

My Little Space said...

Chin : HI busy lady, hope you're well! There's not fishy smell form the soup. The only aroma you can get is the sweet & sour turmeric flavour of our it. Very tempting!

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to hear from you more often. Enjoy & have a great day.

Cheers, Kristy

shaz said...

Oooh, my mouth is also watering. haven't had the salted vegetable for such a long itme. I loved it when I was a kid and followed my mum to the wet market, the stall owner would get it out of a huge jar. Wonder if they still sell it that way?

Thanks for a great MM submission.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...