Ikan Kembung With Pickled Mustard In Asam Soup

This is the second dish out of the 10 which I made for the party. I'm not an extreme big fan of those New Year dishes and had been having steamboat or hot pot for the past couple of days. Friends around also complaining about it. Oh NO, it's a stop for me! So, I have finally decided to make a change in my menu ...more to 'kampung' cooking. Hubby is the luckiest cause I'm making his favourite dishes. haha.... This recipe is actually from hubby's Malay sis-in-law where I saw her making for her lunch on new year eve. This is a very appetizing and simple dish to prepare. I got hooked to it since then.

And here we go.

Ingredients :
2-3 ikan kembung, cut into half
400gm pickled mustard, sliced thinly
1 lemongrass, halves & flatten
2 pieces asam slices, soaked
3-4 cups of water
1/2 tspn turmeric powder
1 tspn organic sugar

Grounded Paste :
4 cloves garlic
4 shallots
4 Birdseye chilies
a few slices ginger


Method :
(1) preheat a non-stick pot with just enough cooking oil.
(2) stir in grounded paste, turmeric powder, asam slices and lemongrass; cook untill aromatic.
(3) add in water and bring to boil.
(4) next add in pickled mustard and sugar, leave to boil for about 5 mins over medium heat.
(5) finally, place in the fish and leave to simmer untill cooked.
(6) serve hot.

This is the preserved mustard I'm using.

I especially love the sour & spicy soup. My mouth is watering even just mentioned about it. haha... It's a very well received dish and is also something new to them. Everyone enjoying it so much. Hope you will like it too. Enjoy!

I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...