Monday, September 26, 2011

Homemade Roti Naan ~ Jasmine Flavour


Do you believe this is actually my first attempt? Yeap, it is! And I am really excited about it cause roti naan is one of my favourites, other than roti canai, chapati & dosa. Roti naan is less oily and more healthy to consume and the absorption is good when dipping to any kind of gravy. Ooooo....doesn't it sounds irresistible? What about naan with jasmine flavour? I bet you can't wait to try this either.

Ingredients for Naan Dough :
500gm   all purpose flour
1-1/2 tspn   salt
3 tbsp  sugar
1 tspn  baking powder
100gm  yoghurt
1 tbsp   yeast
300ml   hot milk (200ml milk + 100ml water)
2 tbsp  dried jasmine flowers
2 tbsp  margerine

Method :
(1) soak dried flowers into hot milk till turned lukewarm, then withdraw the flowers.
(2) add yeast & sugar to lukewarm milk and set aside for 5 minutes or till bubbling.
(3) combine flour, salt and baking powder into a big mixing bowl.
(4) next, stir in milk mixture & yoghurt into flour and mix to combine.
(5) finally, add in margerine and mix well, then leave to rest for an hour.
(6) once it's ready, place dough onto a slightly floured working table and knead to release air.
(7) then divide dough into 10 portions and set aside for 5 minutes.
(8) now flatten the dough and coat with cornmeal to prevent sticking.
(9) bake at preheated oven 240-250'C for 5 mins and then turn dough around, and bake for another 5 mins or till brown.

Jasmine flower is a pretty common little white flowers which has such beautiful scent of aroma especially the fresh ones. But the dried jasmine smells differently, it's softer and more acceptable in making food. Even the Chinese used it in tea making. Why I called it as 'molly' earlier? Well, 'molly' is actually the Chinese name for Jasmine.
Can you imagine your beautifully flavoured naan bread in curry, pumpkin soup, mushroom chowder and more? The yogurt in this recipe which gives the dough such incredible flavour as well. And the texture is really soft and delicious. So, what are you waiting for!
#
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
(bread)

39 comments:

Gloria said...

Kristy this look amazing!! love the pictures, gloria

Ah Tze said...

This looks yummy! For the last photo, please place the Roti Naan in my mouth :)

Anncoo said...

Kristy, you're always so creative. First time I heard of this naan with jasmine flavour. I bet it is very yummy with that dipping sauce :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

This is your first? Man, you're awesome. What a beautiful flavor!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

They look fantastic. My only trial run was hopeless but maybe I will try your recipe out. Thanks Diane

Angie's Recipes said...

I must bake some naan too! They look gorgeous!

Sylvia@peachesanddonuts said...

What an interesting flavour addition!
Well done on your 1st attempt! they look really good!

ICook4Fun said...

Is dinner time here and the way you describe your naan is making me hungry. Like Ann said only you Kristy that can come up with such unique flavor for the naan :) Super creative!!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Ohh my, I'm salivating looking at the photos especially the last picture.  looks very yummy Kristy! My husband loves naan and I bet he will enjoy it very much if I make this for him, thanks Kristy!

Lyndsey said...

Yum! Kristy love your first attempt at naan! They are beautiful! Of course your unique spin on it with Jasmine makes it oh-so-special, just like you!

BTW, my lavender jelly turned out! Yahoo, and it tastes so good! Thanks for your input!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh they look wonderful! I have always wanted to make naan, but didn't know if it would turn out good without a tandoor. Theses are just lovely!
*kisses* HH

Small Kucing said...

yum yum

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

最近我在看一本游记
说的是在中东国家的旅游
那主角也是一直在吃NAAN呢:P

Blackswan said...

Hey Kristy, I’m Back From Finland, Arriving With Mr Angry Bird!

Prata with Jasmine?? U're a genius to come up with this. I hate prata but I wouldn't mind trying your version. Love the smell of Jasmine!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

I like garlic Naan with Tandoori chicken, must try your Naan one day but without Jasmine !

アンゼエリン said...

I like this....got tandoori chicken will be more nice...yummy.

lena said...

just yesterday talking about having naan with your curry chicken and now seeing you posting it! where did you get dried jasmine flowers?

Alice Law said...

Oh dear, cheese naan is my favourite mamak dish! I nvr imagine it can be made at home, you are such a marvellous cook!

Von said...

I also made naan for the first time a couple of weeks ago!! It's so rewarding ;) Yours look delicious! I love how you used jasmine flowers for the flavour- it sounds really interesting! :D

Elin said...

Send some over la...I am hungry just looking at them ! and the curry I am drooling :)

Ann said...

Wow - I have to say I'm surprised it's your first attempt - they look so perfect!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Kristy, you are so creative in your baking! Who would have thought of jasmine flowers in naan bread. Sounds wonderful though and I am sure it is just as tasty too! Drooling....

Liz @ Southern Charm said...

Great pictures!! Please send leftovers my way :)

cikmanggis said...

Kristy!!! saya lapar ni:)bila lihat roti nan yag dibuat sendiri...sedapnya.Rasa petang ni nak cuba jugak lag resepi Kristy ni:)

Pam said...

Way to go, Kristy! You did a fabulous job and they look delicious! Jasmine, wow! Sounds good to me.

Nammi said...

Jasmine flavoured Naan!!! Must smell heavenly :). have a nice day kristy

Zoe said...

Kristy, you are always the person that I would say that you think outside the box. Homemade Naan with dried Jasmine flowers! You always surprise me with very creative cooking.

shan said...

hi,来拜访~

Jasmine口味的naan,好特别~

Barbara said...

I'm so pleased to have this recipe, Kristy. I love naan! And yours looks absolutely fabulous! The jasmine flavor sounds so unusual, I'd love it.

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Great idea. I usually buy Naan. Thanks for the recipe.
Sam

~~louise~~ said...

What an inspiring post, Kristi. I too would love to bake Naan. I LOVE it! GREAT job! The scent of jasmine must just bring it over the top!

Thank you so much for sharing...

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for visiting my little space. Sorry that I have not done any personal reply lately. Guess still in the lazy mood swing. haha... But I do visit alot and still trying my best to keep in touch with everyone of you.
Hope to hear from you guys more often. Take care & have a wonderful day.

Cheers,
Kristy

tigerfish said...

Your naan looks so soft (puffed up) - so good to dip with some Indian curries.

penny aka jeroxie said...

dried jasmine flower? never heard or seen before.

Cheah said...

These are perfect naan, Kristy. Good to go with curry!

TasteHongKong said...

You roti naan looks awesome! I should have serve my recent spicy lentil dish with them … to lick my dish clean : ).

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

What an amazing success for your first attempt - your Naan look wonderful! I love the jasmine flavouring you have used. Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch.

Tina said...

I have made naan before but the recipe is really different from yours. In fact, yours does look much better than mine. I have saved this recipe to try -thanks for sharing.

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...