Friday, September 9, 2011

Tum Ayam @ Steamed Wrapped Chicken

Tum ayam is one of the many famous delicacies of Bali, which the chicken meat is being steamed together with some really fragrant and flavourful spices and also with coconut milk. Just imagine how delicious it is! Some may also use duck meat. Well, you ....of course, may as well grill them. Tum ayam is quite similar to one of our local delicacies called otak-otak @ steamed wrapped fish, which is very famous around the Northern part of Johor.

Ingredients :
500gm chicken fillet, sliced into strips
2 tspn tamarind paste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp shallots, minced
1/2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 red chili, thinly sliced
1/2 cup thick coconut milk
1/2 tspn salt
2 kaffir leaves, thinly sliced
# 4 banana leaf sheets (9 x 6 in) ~ softened in hot water for wrapping

Ingredients for blended paste :
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tspn black peppercorns
4 toasted candle nuts, crashed
2 red chilies
4 shallots
3 cloves garlic
1 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced (bottom white part)
1 tspn turmeric powder
1 inch fresh galangal/ginger root, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tspn salt
(blend all ingredients into fine paste)



Method :
(1) preheat a frying pan with cooking oil.
(2) stir in blended paste and simmer over medium heat till fragrant.
(3) remove paste from frying pan and leave to cool.
(4) in a big bowl, place in chicken fillet and all other ingredients included cooled blended paste, then mix well.
(5) wrap mixture with banana leaves and seal nicely.
(6) then steam for about 15-20 mins.

32 comments:

Anncoo said...

Sounds so delicious! I would love to have some. :)

Gloria said...

Look yummy!! gloria

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow this really does sound interesting!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Looks delicious, me hungry liao, LOL

Belinda @zomppa said...

Those look like perfect little surprises of flavor!

Elra's cooking and baking said...

Yummy! I'm going to make it too. Hmm, can't wait!

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

This is new to me! Thanks very much for sharing though :) The flavours sound really good!

Ana Rita said...

I love to know about all this kind of food...i would love to try them, maybe some day!

Kisses,
Rita

divya said...

Look yummy!!

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

The chicken looks and sounds sooo flavorful!!!! I can almost taste it!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, this chicken sure looks very delicious and packed full of flavour! Too bad I've not taste it before.....so I guess I should really try your recipe! Thanks for sharing Kristy! 

gertrude said...

This is the first time I came across this dish. I am sure it taste good especially with all the spices you added it in there.

Janine said...

oh yum, this looks really delicious but it looks like a lot of work too - really salute you for patiently blending the paste and making it - I remember trying it before and it was awesome!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

like pandan chicken,but this sound better because steam one.

Small Kucing said...

very nice. Must be very sedap but a lot of work

Blackswan said...

Hey gal, I think this recipe also smells really good. I like Pandan Chicken but it's deep-fried. Would certainly like to try this version.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I can smell it from here!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Another beautiful treat my daaaaahling, lots of lovely ingredients!
*kisses* HH

Cheah said...

Hey, Kristy, can send some over? Never heard of this before so would certainly like to try.

lena said...

i would have thought this is otak2 if you never tell just by looking at the first picture. Never had this before but certainly would love to have this now!! have a great weekend, dear!

Russell at Chasing Delicious said...

Yum! I've always wanted to try something like this. Where do you get your banana leaves?

cikmanggis said...

pertama kali baca ingatkan tom yam rupanya tum yam..ya la seperti botok botok kan..pasti sedap sekali:)

TasteHongKong said...

I could imagine the burst of flavors when opening up the wrap : ).

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

This looks so delicious! I need to give this a try. When I saw the picture, it reminded me instantly of otak-otak.

Have a lovely weekend!

Lyndsey said...

So funny I was just out back taking pictures of my banana leaves...they are so big and perfect right now...not all ripped up yet from the wind. I thought I really need to use these in a recipe. Then I saw this! It reminds me of your otak-otak. I will definitely try to make this one! I even know where I can get some candle nuts!

Hope your weekend was great!

5 Star Foodie said...

The chicken looks so tender and flavorful in this unique preparation, excellent!

Heavenly Housewife said...

I love the idea of a moon cake festival. It makes me a little sad that I've never had one, especially when you make such beauties!
*kisses* HH

Magic of Spice said...

The chicken must be so very tender and fragrant...lovely!

tigerfish said...

I enjoy steaming as a cooking method a lot. When done correctly, this fuss-free cooking seals flavors and moisture so well.

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

I have to apologize for my late reply. However, I'm glad you all enjoy this recipe and hope you will love it as much as I do. I know banana leaves are not easily to be found especially for those who lives out of this region. For me, I got mine from the trees at the nearby road side. hehe...

So, Russell, you may try your luck at the local Asian store if possible. And welcome to my huimble little space as well. Hoep to hear from you more often.

Thanks so much everyone for stopping by and spending your time here with me. Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Botox said...

This blog is nice and amazing. I love your post! It's also nice to see someone who does a lot of research and has a great knack for ting, which is pretty rare from bloggers these days.
Thanks!
Botox

Sykes said...

This is new to me! Thanks very much for sharing though :) The flavours sound really good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...