Monday, September 12, 2011

Blue Cheese & Nori Flakes Shanghai Mooncake...& A Surprise!

Hey, Happy Mooncake Festival everyone! Yeap, today is our mid autumn festival and many of the Chinese families here are going to celebrate it with loads of food, fruits and mooncakes tonight. Guess what! I'm going to have something different this year.... instead of having the traditional kind of mooncake I'm making something fun to enjoy tonight.

Here's my shanghai mooncake with special blue cheese flavour & nori flakes flavour crust and a twist of the fillings with the addition of pineapple jam instead of using salted egg yolks.

Ingredients for Nori Flakes crust :
250gm butter
150gm icing sugar
1 egg
380gm all purpose flour
60gm custard powder
3 tbsp nori flakes

Method :
#Refer here and add in nori flakes after the dough is formed, knead till combined.


Ingredients for Blue Cheese crust :
250gm butter
150gm icing sugar
1 egg
380gm all purpose flour
60gm custard powder
20-30gm blue cheese, thinly sliced

Method :
#Refer here and add in blue cheese after the dough is formed, knead till combined.


FOR ASSEMBLE :
(1) use a portion of douyong/lotus paste wrap around a portion of pineapple jam.
(2) divide crust dough into 70gm per portion each (around 13pcs).
(3) then wrap filling with one portion of crust dough and seal nicely.
(4) brush on egg wash and top with either nori or cheddar cheese.
(5) finally, bake at 180-185'C for 20 mins.
(6) cool completely before slicing.

#you need around 520gm of pineapple jam for 20gm each portion & 1.1kg of douyong paste/lotus paste for 40gm each portion.

I have given away some of these mooncakes for testing and the feedback is totally unbelieveable. As anyone whoever tried blue cheese before, I'm sure you're going to fall in love with it and for non cheese lover....still nori is another refreshing flavour for all. Oh oh and not forgetting about the sweet & sour fillings.....mamamia.....you will sure salivate! haha..... Hope you guys will love these. Enjoy & have loads of fun!

WISHING ALL A VERY HAPPY MOONCAKE FESTIVAL !

#I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

44 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Happy Autumn-Mooncake Festival!! These are different mooncakes Kristy, I sure wish I caould taste these! I love how creative you always are.

I am on my husbands computer(he's out jet skiing) so I hope it lets me comment. I've had trouble posting from his PC before.

All the best!
Lyndsey

divya said...

Interesting recipe ,looks yummy too:)

~3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

HUBS IS GOING TO LOVE THESE! Thanks for linking them to tailgating time.

Vivian Pang said...

Very interesting flavour of Shang Hai mooncake! Happy Autumn-Mooncake Festival to you and your family too.

Small Small Baker said...

Very special shanghai mooncake! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family!

jywyuen said...

Thanks for the recipe. Happy Mooncake Festival to you and your family too!

Ann said...

Happy Festival Day! Your moon cakes are beautiful and I bet everyone loved them!

reanaclaire said...

I already salivate!! yummy!

Blackswan said...

I've been hearing a lot about Shanghai mooncakes but have yet to try them. These look lovely! The next time u're giving away, count me in!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

you are so creative! 祝你中秋节快乐!

Small Kucing said...

gosh they look so lovely

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

你好厉害喔:P
祝福你有个快乐的中秋夜:)

Wai Kitt said...

Happy MId-Autumn Festival to you and your family too!

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

Perfect mooncake,love the filling...luks delicious

Nammi said...

do you have a vacant house next to you , maybe i should move to johor can come and sample your food :), although I am not a big fan of blue cheese

Amy said...

How fun! These are so unique and sound amazing. :) I wish I can try one. Wish you a happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

Ah Tze said...

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family, Kristy! Wow, blue cheese mooncake, creative and yummy too!!

hanushi said...

Unique mooncakes you have! Happy mid autumn festival to you and family.

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Kristy, Happy mooncake festival to you and family. Your mooncake combo sounds interesting.

~~louise~~ said...

Happy Mooncake Festival to you & your family, Kristi! I shared one of your delicious looking moon cake recipe links on my blog today. Thank YOU!

Have a GREAT day!!!

edith said...

中秋节快乐

Alice Law said...

Shanghai mooncake is my top selection!! Gosh, you even added my favourite cheese into it... and touch up with my super-like Nori, YUMMM.... ahhh... too bad, I jst got to adore virtually!XD

Happy Mid Autumn!!^^

yummylittlecooks said...

wah! pineapple jam, cheese, nori flakes...nice combination :)

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow Kristy, this is so original! Savory and sweet all in one...and bluecheese, truly unexpected surprise! Love it! Happy Mid Autumn Festival my friend!

lena said...

is blue taste very cheeesy? you are such an inspiring baker! wishing you a very happy mooncake festival and have a good week!!

Barbara said...

Happy Mooncake Festival, Kristy! I love the savory/sweet combo and using blue cheese is a super idea! Clever you!

Elra's cooking and baking said...

Delicious! Love the look of your pastry, tender and flaky!

Cheah said...

Kristy
You're indeed very 'hebat', pineapple filling Shanghai mooncake, think it's nice. I'm not a cheesy fan, so that's out for me, nori flakes will be my preference. Thumbs up, lady!

cikmanggis said...

huhuu Cm beli je kuih bulan dari kedai sebab tak pandai dan tak pernah buat kuih bulan sendiri.Teringin sangat nak buat tapi takut tak jadi:(

アンゼエリン said...

中秋节快乐 to you and ur family members at home.

Keep baking ya.

Angeline

アンゼエリン said...

Kristy is a baby gal....

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Hope you have a great festival. Wish I could join you I have never tasted moon cakes! Diane

Angie's Recipes said...

Haven't had a single piece of mooncake this year..love the idea of nori crust.

Claudia said...

Wow - savory - and a nori crust. Perfect! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival! Had my first mooncake this past August in Seattle and fell in love.

Reeni said...

Hope you had a happy Mooncake Festival! These sound unique and delicious Kristy! I love this time of year.

penny aka jeroxie said...

Blue cheese? you are amazing. happy mooncake festival.

Liz @ Southern Charm said...

How fun! Not only do these look amazing but they sound scrumptious!! I have to try this recipe, like tonight!

Thanks for sharing!

Magic of Spice said...

These are so very creative and delicious...love the blue cheese twist! Delightful :)
I hope you had a wonderful Mooncake Festival and are having a great week

Zoe said...

That's extremely innovative. The blue cheese mooncake looks really good. Love the idea too of using pineapple fillings instead of salted egg yolk.

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Thousands apology for my late reply. It's been very very busy for the past whole week and there's so much to do. Still family comes first, right! Don't worried, I'm still trying my best to follow up & catch up with all of you ASAP.

And for the new comers, hope you will like it here and would love to hear from you more often. Have fun!

Thanks alot for coming over and spending your valueable times here without failed. I am really appreciate it. Hope you're all having a terrific time. Enjoy!

Blessings, Kristy

Martha (MM) said...

So yummy! Thanks for linking up to Tailgating Time :-)

5 Star Foodie said...

What a unique and delicious flavor combination, full of umami, excellent!

Tes said...

What a fun recipe :) It sounds so delicious :) The pictures are really stunning... they makes me drool really!

mjskit said...

I have loved mooncakes ever since I had my first one probably way before your were born. :) However, I've never made them. You have certainly inspired me with this recipe! They look delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...