Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Danish Almond Croissant
So, here comes the task.
Ingredients for dough:
500gm bread flour
40gm milk powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 egg yolk
40gm cold butter, chopped
1 tspn salt
*300gm pastry margarine ~ for folding
(I used 200gm pastry margarine + 100gm butter)
(1) combine bread flour, sugar, yeast, milk powder, egg & milk and stir to form a soft dough.
(2) add in butter & salt and knead till well mixed, set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
*tips : always remember to add in salt at the final step, otherwise it will kill most of the yeast and the bread won't rise as expected.
(3) punch & press to release air then knead till smooth.
(4) place dough to a slightly floured working table then roll flat slightly bigger than the chilled butter.
(5) place on the butter and sealed nicely with dough, next roll out flat to a rectangle shape around 11x15".
(6) fold into 3 then roll out flat again, like making a puff pastry.
(7) repeat the folding for another 2-3 more times, keep dough chilled for 30 mins when the butter is a bit too difficult to handle before further folding.
(8) once it's done, keep refrigerated for about 30-40 mins.
(9) now, flatten dough by rolling into a rectangle shape slightly bigger.
(10) divide dough by using pizza cutter into triangle shape then each up like a swiss roll.
(11) place them to baking tray and let to rest for 45-60 mins or till it puffs up nicely.
(12) brush on egg glazing & almond flakes/sesame seeds and then bake at preheated oven 185-190'C for about 25 mins or till nicely brown.
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.