Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Danish Almond Croissant

Pastry puff & Danish pastry are both my top favourite bread & pastry. I remember the first time making them, what a mess! Butter splitting everywhere....I'm sure you know what I mean! haha.....Though that can't stop me from what I'm doing. In the opposite, I'm expecting even more and want to learn even more. That is the most joyous part of life....there's always something waiting ahead that you're looking forward to. The excitement !!!! ha.....

So, here comes the task.

Ingredients for dough:
500gm   bread flour
40gm  milk powder
2 tbsp  sugar
1 tbsp  yeast
1 egg yolk
270ml   milk
40gm  cold butter, chopped
1 tspn  salt

*300gm  pastry margarine ~ for folding
(I used 200gm pastry margarine + 100gm butter)

Method :
(1) combine bread flour, sugar, yeast, milk powder, egg & milk and stir to form a soft dough.
(2) add in butter & salt and knead till well mixed, set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
*tips : always remember to add in salt at the final step, otherwise it will kill most of the yeast and the bread won't rise as expected.
(3) punch & press to release air then knead till smooth.
(4) place dough to a slightly floured working table then roll flat slightly bigger than the chilled butter.
(5) place on the butter and sealed nicely with dough, next roll out flat to a rectangle shape around 11x15".
(6) fold into 3 then roll out flat again, like making a puff pastry.
(7) repeat the folding for another 2-3 more times, keep dough chilled for 30 mins when the butter is a bit too difficult to handle before further folding.
(8) once it's done, keep refrigerated for about 30-40 mins.
(9) now, flatten dough by rolling into a rectangle shape slightly bigger.
(10) divide dough by using pizza cutter into triangle shape then each up like a swiss roll.
(11) place them to baking tray and let to rest for 45-60 mins or till it puffs up nicely.
(12) brush on egg glazing & almond flakes/sesame seeds and then bake at preheated oven 185-190'C for about 25 mins or till nicely brown.

So, are you excited to see the finish goods stacking up one and another...just like the one at the shops???

Emmmm....nothing is more satisfying than enjoying the homemade classic bread & pastry. Hope you guys will have fun making it too!
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.

20 comments:

Claudia said...

I adore this pastry - you have very good taste in pastry dough! It looks absolutely perfect. Are you sure you're not a professional baker?

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

wow that looks so stinkin' good! now if we could just make it so gluten doesn't exist! haha thanks for sharing!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

These looks just wonderful, you have done an fantastic job. I am scared to make them as I always feel they need to be eaten straight away - I may just end up breaking the scales :) Diane

Rosita Vargas said...

Que buena se ve la masa es una exquisitez me encantan esponjosos,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Zoe said...

I have not been brave enough to make my own puff pastry and croissants. Yours are very beautifully made :D

Elin said...

Kristy...I am amazed at you. You are fantastic...your croissant looks proffessional. Beautiful ! I hope to see Kristy Bakes when I visit Johor ! :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Beautiful crossants! I love with almond topping too! Mmmmmm! Love the layers there...super duper great job Kristy...I think I should try it too soon. :))

Vivian Pang said...

My hubby and kids definitely will like it. Like pledging a day to work with this dough. Thanks for sharing!

lena said...

i'm still a coward to handle dough with pastry margarine :((

Barbara said...

I am so impressed you made your own puff pastry, Kristy! I'm lazy and buy it at Whole Foods!
But your results show the care and time paid off...your pastries look divine!

love2dine said...

i love to have that for breakfast.

Amy said...

These looks wonderful. I say they are even better than those from the bakery. Yum.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Ya, making puff pastry is tough, but when see the nice result, every hardwork is worth! You have nicely done it..

Barbara Bakes said...

Such big, beautiful Danish. Wish I could reach in a grab one.

WokandSpoon said...

Puff pastry is such hard work! My secret is...supermarket puff pastry!

Nichole@DulceDelicious said...

Those croissants look absolutely delicious! I love the almond on top!

Angie's Recipes said...

As usual, your pastries and bread look bakery-perfect!

Hanaâ said...

They turned out beautiful! I have yet to make puff pastry :o)

Lyndsey said...

Oh my Kristy, can I have a bite? I wish I could make these I can imagine eating these fresh from the oven. They look amazing!

Anonymous said...

An outstanding share! I've just forwarded this onto a friend who had been conducting a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch simply because I stumbled upon it for him... lol. So let me reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanx for spending time to talk about this topic here on your site.

my page - public relation marketing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...