Friday, June 8, 2012

Red Yeast Wine Noodle @ Hong Jiu Mian Xian

This is a well recognized confinement dish to most Asians. Red yeast wine rice vermicelli is normally serve to post-natal mothers for breakfast or lunch during their confinement period. According to the elderly, it is the best food source to keep the mother's belly & womb warm up early of the day. In Malaysia, this dish is wildly sold at many  food stalls with just reasonable price. These days red yeast wine noodle is not just the confinement food source, it is also something that others can enjoy.

It is very common that mee suah is used in cooking red yeast wine. Mee suah is of flour unlike the rice vermicelli. It is easily cooked & turn soft.

Ingredients :
4 cups  water
150ml  homemade red yeast wine
2 tbsp  homemade red yeast paste
1/2 tspn   salt
1 tspn   vegetable granule
fried ginger oil with fried ginger
handful  fresh black woodears, thinly sliced
handful of chicken shreds, marinated with salt & pepper
1 or 2 fried egg
some cilantro

*1 pkt  mee suah, (100gm)

Method :
(1) combine water, red yeast wine, red yeast paste, salt, vegetable granule, fried ginger oil, black wood ears, chicken meat & fried egg into a pot and bring it to boil.
(2) reduce heat and let to simmer for another a few more minutes, test taste the soup till you get right taste as desired (as if you might want to add in more wine).
(3) next, add in mee suah and let to simmer for a couple of seconds or till soft.
(4) then serve immediately with cilantro.

This soup will look a bit thick just the way I wanted. Some may prefer to cook with less water and with more wine but I find that it's a bit too heavy and very heaty. I don't recommend it to most post-natal moms  especially breast feeding mothers. It's still best to take lighter wine soup.

Frankly, I could just take the soup.... haha....Yeah, very addictive! Hope you guys will love it too.

23 comments:

Cathleen said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Also, homemade yeast wine and yeast paste?! Wow, so ambitious! I've never even heard of yeast wine, or yeast paste! I'm intrigued..

WokandSpoon said...

That's it. I'm coming over for lunch! Wish I had someone making this for me when I had my 2 girls!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

What beautiful photos Kristy. I'm not familiar with red yeast wine nor yeast paste. It's always fun to learn about food from other cultures. The cilantro looks so pretty on top of the soup.
Sam

Claudia said...

This is new to me - but love the comfortin., rich photos and the history of the dish is just splendid! Have a grand weekend.

Edith said...

I have never tasted this dish before. HOpe one day I will make my own.

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, one big bowl over here, please! Yours look good, very delicious. I love this mee suah with hong jiu. Yummy!

Just to share with you, you can steam the raw mee suah for 10 mins, then dry it under the sun. So when you cook the mee suah will taste better with QQ texture and will not turn soggy.

Have a nice day.

anne said...

Kristy , I kept checking your recipe on how to make homemade red yeast ! But you know me , too lazy to actually do it :P :D I really love the color it adds to the dish ! Okay , I'm coming over for lunch ! Save a bowl or two of that deliciousness ! lol

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

yum! that looks delicious! i love a good soup! thanks for sharing!

TasteHongKong said...

Fermented rice wine with meat and wood ears is already a soup I love, also a good supplement to us women for iron. With the vermicelli, that is a good bowl of one dish meal.
By the way, I tried several times but can't click thru the kimchi recipe.

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for stopping by and spending your valueable time here with me today. It's always a great pleasure of seeing you all.

Hope you're all having a great day. Enjoy!

Amelia : Thanks so much for the info but seems that can't easily find the raw mee suah over here. I like the QQ texture too. Looking forward to it if I got the chance to try it myself.

TasteHK : So sorry about the kimchi link. Actually, it's not ready yet. I accidentally pressed the publish button the other day. haha..... But will post it out soon. thanks so much for your concerned.

Blessings
Kristy ((hugs))

Amelia said...

Hi Kristy, sorry.. I used the wrong word. What I mean raw is the uncooked mee suah from the packet that you show in the picture. :)

Open the packet of mee suah, steam it for 10 mins, then dry it under the sun. Then store it in plastic bag or tupperware, can use as and when you require. You'll be surprise the texture is different.

If by chance you go Sitiawan, their mee suah is very nice.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Actually I prefer mee Shua not QQ type, strange girl right, hahaha . Using home made red yeast wine, sound healthy and nice , will hop over to check how you made the red yeast wine. Whatelse you can't make Kristy?

Small Kucing said...

mmm must have been heavenly

Mary said...

I am not familiar with this dish, but you have certainly made me curious to try it. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Magic of Spice said...

What a lovely soup! I have not seen these noodles before but they sound very interesting :)

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Thumbs up! My favourite hong jiu mian xian!

Deeba PAB said...

What a delicious concoction..mmmm. Your own yeast wine? WOW!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

You have such yummy food over there, I would never find those ingredients here. Can I come to dinner please? Love your photos. Diane

Angie's Recipes said...

What a nutritious and delicious mee suah soup!

Lyndsey said...

It looks wonderful Kristy. I love all the care and background of each dish that you prepare.

Diane Balch said...

Great mixture of seasoning love the mushrooms thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

tigerfish said...

I just cooked Mee Sua soup last week but my soup base was simple - just some tomatoes, onions and meatballs! Very comforting.

lena said...

seriously i havnt tried eating this before although this is quite popular with red yeast. The other day i went to Taangshifu, a new food outlet here..i think they hv outlet in other towns in msia and i also tried their mee suah..in herbal soup..so so only i think they overcooked the mee suah..it was very soft.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...