Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hoddeok @ Korean Sweet Pancake


Found this little sweet snack recently from some Korean food site. This is one of the Korean famous street food called Hoddeok or Hotteok meaning filled pancake if not mistaken. Correct me if it is not ! :o)  It is a very thin fried pancake which is usually filled with ground nuts or sweet paste. Eventhough this is my first attempt. I am falling in love with it already.

Now, here's what I did.
Ingredients :
(A)
2 tspn  yeast
80ml    warm water
2 tbsp  sugar

(B)
180ml   warm milk (50% milk + 50% water)
1-3/4 cup  all purpose flour
3/4 cup   glutinous rice flour
1 tspn  salt
a dash of sesame oil

For filling :   500gm  red bean paste/lotus paste/mung bean paste/grind nuts

Method :
(1)  combine ingredients (A) and set aside to rest for 15 mins.
(2)  then stir together ingredients (B) & (A) till well mixed then set aside to rest for an hour or till double in size.
(3)  once it's ready, punch and knead dough to release air till smooth.
(4) divide dough into 12 portions for bigger sizes or 15 portions for smaller sizes.
(5) wrap each dough with 25gm of fillings (L) and then seal nicely, set aside to rest for 15 mins.
(6)  once it's ready, flatten each filled dough and pan fried them with just enough cooking oil till both sides turned golden brown.
(7) serve warm.

I like the additional of glutinous rice flour into the recipe. It gives the crust an extra crisp which is just amazing. I'm sure you guys will love it too.
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.

18 comments:

Cathleen said...

This looks great! And I have all the ingredients on hand. Nice :)

Juliana said...

Oh Kristy! I never seen this kind of treat...I love the idea of glutinous flour in the dough...the texture must be awesome...I will definitely give this a try...yum!
Thanks for the recipe and hope you are having a wonderful week :)

WokandSpoon said...

I'm a big fan of anything with red bean! This looks really delicious.

Claudia said...

Dreaming of this treat - have had something similar in Seattle but not back at home. Love the luscious opening photo!

蓝色小厨 said...

I want try the pan cake when I free~

Small Kucing said...

So far I have bought these but never thought of trying to make. You made it sound so easy.

anne said...

The dough itself must be delicious ! Love it !

Lyndsey said...

Kristy,
I know I would fall in love with this too. Oh, please send some my way! I'll bet this would be good with almond paste in it too. Hope things are well with you and your family. I'll talk to you soon.
Cheers,
Lyndsey

茵茵 said...

This looks yummy. Gonna try this one day. Thanks for sharing!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This sounds really yummy but I would never find the ingredients here in rural France :-( Diane

lena said...

i made them before and i love them..and i like their crispiness. The version i made did not contain any glutinous rice flour, so i think yours will be a little chewy and crispy too. They look wonderful!

Pamela said...

Dear Kristy, I think I would love them too, they look very nice and so versatile, I will try them.

Thanks for all your comments, I'm so happy you liked the Apples in pijamas, I promise you will not be dissapointed. Everybody loves them, specially the kids.

Take care,

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I'm drooling as I'm looking at these yummy pancakes! Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside...yummy! My mum especially likes these kind of textures. Will definitely give this a try, thanks Kristy!

Rosita Vargas said...

OMG..que rico una receta versátil e irresistible me encanta,lucen absolutamente bellos y exquisitos,los prepararé,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Vivian Pang said...

Mee too will like this kind of pancake. Love to try it. Texture must be awesome with glutinous rice flour.

TasteHongKong said...

Hmmm, lovely golden crusts. They look similar to a snack I have enjoyed in my place, loving it being crisp, slightly springy and sweet.

Jeannie said...

You fried these delicious cakes so well! Looks crusty and perfectly golden!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this is one of my daughter favorite pancake, i usually use bread flour, your recipe sound good with the addition of glutinous rice flour..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...