Thursday, July 19, 2012

Black Berry Jam Oat Bars

I think most of us momsie have problems trying to settle the unwanted or leftover food at home, right? Well, I have a bottle of black berry jam which was left aside for sometime. Don't know why my kids don't seem to like it ! I knew that it is impossible to finish the whole bottle of jam all by myself and don't like storing it for long period in the fridge as well. So, have decided to work it out on something else....something more saleable. hahaha.... 


So, here's what I did.
Ingredients :
(A)
2 cup  quick oat
1-1/2 cup  all purpose flour
1 tspn baking powder
2/3 cup  brown sugar

(B)
250gm  butter

*1/2 cup  almond flakes
*1 bottle black berry jam

Method :
(1) combine ingredients (A) into a big mixing bowl & stir well.
(2) add ingredient (B) into (A) and rub by fingers till everything well combined.
(3) reserve 1-1/2 cup of mixture and set aside, then press the remaining mixture to a 9-13" tray.
(4) bake at preheated oven 185-190'C for 15 mins and cooled.
(5) once it's ready, spread on the black berry jam and then cover it by the reserved mixture and almond flakes.
(6) again, send in to bake for 15-20 mins at 185-190'C or till brown.
(7) finally, set aside to cool before slicing it.


Guess what? These bars are actually quite saleable. haha...... My family managed to polish off everything in two days. What a way to bottom up the jam huh. :o)  Frankly, I really love & enjoy the oat flavour and will definitely try out the roll oat some day.

18 comments:

Shobha said...

Healthy snack..

Pam said...

This sounds like a great snack to me. We love blackberry jam and it's always in the fridge so I have the makings for this good recipe. Thanks!

WokandSpoon said...

This is a great way to use up leftover jam. I always end up with half finished bottles at the back of the fridge that end up mouldy! These bars look like a 'crumble' in a bar! Lurrrvvvely!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Such a fabulous idea! You clever momise. :D I made this before and it's really yummy. Will bake this again ...but no left over jam now, heehee. :))

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

Hi, such a great idea! Yes as mummies we always have to think of ways to use up left overs so that we don't waste but yet has to be appetising! This looks good, my kids would also love it!

PlumLeaf 李葉 said...

Looks delicious! Great idea! I bet it would be delicious with some home-made jam! Slurp!
Flaked almonds are a wonderfully idea to add crunch and flavour!

Cheah said...

If I hadn't read the title of this post I would have thought they were 'Far Sang Tong'. Mmmmm..... your bars look yummy and healthy!

Shirley Tay said...

I really like the combination of all the ingredients & how u piece them altogether. A great Chef at work, huh?? Lovely!

Luxury Haven Gets A New Facelift!! Hop on over to & let me know how you feel! Do you like the old glamorous red or the pure white? I appreciate your honest feedback, dear.

Rosita Vargas said...

Para una colación muy saludable que ricos ingredientes,luce muy lindo,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Yumgoggle said...

Yummy treat! I love recipes like this. There is no way we can allow a lot of good food getting wasted, can't we? My kids wont know that this include leftovers. I am sure they can't tell. =)

Myfudo here...Normally we'd never put a shameless plug back to us, but we just launched our new site and we would love for you to be a part of it. I'd love to share our newest launch with you, I hope you don't mind? Now that we are getting a new look...Myfudo is moving to a new domain http://www.yumgoggle.com This has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it's free) http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery
We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.
p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, we hope you'll participate =)
http://www.yumgoggle.com/cakes-cupcakes-the-black-forest-cake-cupcake-a-kitchenaid-mixer-giveaway/

Angie's Recipes said...

These are for sure the best coffee accompaniment! I just can't get enough of streusel.

lena said...

clever mummy! now all these jam have gone into their stomach! not to mention, the bars are looking great, nice topping! have a nice sunday!

cikmanggis said...

wow idea yang sungguh bagus:)..ceria ceria selalu Kristy!!

Jeannie Tay said...

Looks so delicious! I have yet to bake bar cakes like this one before, time I try baking some now!:D

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I also have quite a few leftover or not so saleable ingredients, look like I can make into this way, thanks for your inspiration .

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm....looks very delicious and healthy. If I am there, it will be gone is just a few hours....hehe. Kristy, you are just so creative! Thanks for sharing this lovely recipe how to use up leftover jam.

~~louise~~ said...

I'm sold that's for sure!!! I may just test this recipe on Marion, who as you know, is 92 years young:) I too have some blackberry jam that needs a new life. Wish me Luck!

Thanks for sharing, Kristy...

Sylvia said...

Oh Kristy these bars looking delicious and very healthy as well, love the idea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...