Monday, July 30, 2012

My Fancy Yuzu Wasabi & Lime Curd Castella


My first attempt on Castella cake making....very challenging though. I don't think I handle it well enough. The cake shrunk like no body business. haha.... However, overall the flavour of both lime curd & wasabi castella are awesome. So, it doesn't matter at all about the shape. But of course, I'll try my best to make a perfect one someday. :o)  Again, thanks Sonia for her lovely yuzu powder.


Ingredients :
(A)
5 egg yolk
3 tbsp  sugar
50ml    honey

(B)
5 egg white
1 tbsp  sugar

(C)
100gm  bread flour
1 tbsp  yuzu powder

(D)
about 1/2 - 1 cup  lemon lime curd

(E) ~ For 2nd cake
1 tbsp  wasabi paste
two drops of green food colouring

Method :
(1) beat ingredients (B) till foamy then set aside.
(2) now, beat ingredients (A) till light & pale then stir in ingredients (C) till well mixed.
(3) then fold ingredient (B) into (A) in two batches, mix till combined.
(4) fill batter into a 9.5x3.5x3.5" tray lined with parchment paper and then drizzle on the curd.
(5) finally bake at preheated oven 155-160'C for about 50-55mins.
(6) once it's done, immediately remove pan from oven then drop it to the counter from about one foot high to prevent shrinkage.
(7) leave to cool before removing the cake from tray then wrap cake with aluminium foil and keep refrigerated overnight by placing it upside down before serving.

For wasabi cake :
Repeat method (1), (2) and then stir in ingredients (C) but omit the yuzu powder. Next, place three quarter of the batter to a lined cake tray. Mix ingredient (E) into the remain batter and mix well then fold into cake tray. Finally, repeat method  (5), (6) & (7).

Guess what? After reading the recipe again, I think I'm quite blur and have accidentally skip method No. (6). hehe....  and that is why the cake shrunk and the other reason is the cake a bit over weight after the additional of curd. *wink*  Hope you guys will love it too.

19 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This sounds really interesting knowing what a kick wasabi paste has :) Have a good week Diane

Rosita Vargas said...

Interesante receta me encantaría probar y el pan jirafa te ha quedado magnífico,abrazos ,hugs,hugs.

Mich - Piece of Cake said...

The flavours are so unique... I can imagine the spicy and tangy going well together! Am sure your next cake will be a great success. Sometimes, it also takes me 2 tries to get things right...

Jeannie Tay said...

Wow, first time making and you are already mixing in flavors, very brave lol! looks delicious even though shrank!

Pegasuslegend said...

Wow this is terrific your the best my friend in baking going to book mark

Cheah said...

Hey, Kristy, this is indeed very original, should patent it, ha,ha!
Shape doesn't matter as long as it's yummy!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

yuzu wasabi castella! only Kristy can think of this creative recipe, hehehe..

lena said...

i've never tried a castella and reading your step 6, my heart pounds a little that is to drop the cake from that height..i think my hands would probably be shaking when doing this! LOL!

Mary said...

This is really interesting. I've never had a bread like this and I am really curious as to how it tastes. There is only one way to fine out :-). Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Dewi said...

Another tempting recipe! You rock Kristy!

hanushi said...

wasabi in cake? this is really new and interesting... :D

Pamela said...

Wow! this is different to all I have ever seen in matter of cakes!! wasabi in a cake must be something. They look great to me. Take care!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Kristy I tried making the castella cake too, and it also shrank like nobody's business, lol! I merely the original flavor, not so cool as yours. :)) yes, definitely taste comes first!

Edith said...

interesting combination. A pity that I am far away to sample.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Baking castella seems so easy, yet so difficult. The yuzu wasabi must give it a rather unique flavor.

~~louise~~ said...

Wow! This is a first for me too, Kristy. Up until just recently, I had never heard of Yuzu and now not only do I know a bit more about it, I'm actually seeing it being enjoyed and "played" with at the same time!

Personally, I think you did great! As you say, it all depends on the belly tumbles:)

Thank you so much for sharing...

Yin said...

Kristy:
never can relate wasabi in bread making really unique to me. just imagine the "kicking" taste of wasabi in the bread, i bet is really give you the "refreshing" taste early morning when eating the bread! :-)

Amy said...

How delicious! I've never thought of using wasabi in my bread or loaf. That sound very refreshing along with the yuzu (my favorite flavor of all time).

Diane Balch said...

How hot is this cake??? Love wasabi. Thanks for sharing it on foodie friday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...