Friday, July 6, 2012

Stir Fried Local Brussels Sprouts


I managed to get some local brussels sprout at the farmer's market (pasar pagi) last weekend. It's cheaper compare to the imported ones, of coz! :o) And they both look a bit different. Local ones looks bigger and the leaves is harder.....I mean crunchier. And that is why it need to be cooked in a different way. Other than that I am quite curious about the plant and started google about it. And here's what I found.

Brussels sprouts on stalk.

Ingredients :
4 large brussels sprout, cut into small portions
50gm  dried shrimp, soaked in water & then pounded
1 tbsp  ginger,  finely chopped
1 tbsp  garlic,  finely chopped
2 tbsp  shaoxing wine or rice wine
2 tbsp  vegetarian oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste

*thickening : 2tbsp  water + 1 tspn tapioca starch

Method :
(1)  prepare a pot of simmering hot boiling water then cook brussels sprouts in boiling water in a few seconds or till a bit softened, and drained.
(2) preheat frying pan or wok with just enough cooking oil.
(3) once it's ready, stir in dried shrimp, ginger & garlic and saute till fragrant.
(4) next, stir in cooked brussels sprouts and cook over high heat.
(5) add in shao xing wine, oyster sauce, salt & pepper and mix well.
(6) off the heat, then stir in thickening and mix to combine. Finally, transfer to serving plate.

Of coz, you may replace dried shrimps with other ingredients such as minced meat or just omit it. It tastes as good. Hope you guys will love it too!

19 comments:

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I love stir-fried Brussel sprouts but have never added dried shrimps. Must try that next time.

Thanks for all your comments on my travel posts. Will have to try to catch up with you the next time I visit :)

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmmm I love brussel sprouts. Diane

Rebecca Subbiah said...

lovely recipe for brussels sprouts

anne said...

This dish looks so simple yet very appetizing ! Haven't tried brussel sprouts yet :P Hope I can find some of that Asian brussel sprouts here :D

Rosita Vargas said...

Un plato saludable y muy beneficioso me encanta,hermosa la planta ,abrazos y abrazos.

anne said...

This dish looks so simple yet very appetizing ! Haven't tried brussel sprouts yet :P Hope I can find some of that Asian brussel sprouts here :D

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I use to dislike Brussels sprouts but after living in states for so many years, I've grown to love it! My fave was stir fry bacon with it.....I think dried shrimp will be equally yums! Thanks for the reminder Kristy! Have a great weekend ya!

Small Kucing said...

i love to eat did but have never saw it in stalks like that

Angie's Recipes said...

I love Brussels sprouts! Can finish the whole plate in no time, Kristy. I come over for the dinner ;-)

~~louise~~ said...

I'm a huge fan of Brussels sprout Kristy! Yours look yummy!!! If you get the chance, you should try to grow your own. They are quite entertaining to watch grow too!

Thank you so much for sharing...

lena said...

yum! love this kind of stir fry veggies anytime! i hv not tasted the western brussel sprouts tho:)

WokandSpoon said...

The brussel sprouts stalks look huge! I stir fry my brussel sprouts as well - it's the only way to get my girls to eat them!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Interesting to see them on the stalk, usually I like to quick stir fry with garlic only .

Kalyan said...

tempting indeed...mouthwatering dish & the clicks!

Jeannie said...

This is my favorite stir fry vegetables too! So crunchy and delicious!

MaryMoh said...

I'm not good in cooking brussels sprouts. I always bake it and it's very delicious. But next time I will try to make a stir fry out of it like what you've done here. Looks very delicious. Maybe I should add lots of prawns :D We only get a lot of brussels sprouts around Christmas. So, have to wait.

petite nyonya said...

i've never seen how brussel sprouts actually grow . this is interesting!

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

I have a huge confession to make. I've never tried brussel sprouts!!! These look fantastic!! Please stop by and link them to Foodie Friday

Chaya said...

I love brussels sprouts and hubby does not. I make them occasionally and this is the way, I want to make them. They are being featured at My Meatless Mondays.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...