baked version teochew pastry long time ago but have yet tested the fried version. Guess, this is the right timing to do so !
Ingredients for pastry dough :
200gm all purpose flour
30gm icing sugar
100gm water + 1/2 tspn vinegar
180gm all purpose flour
(1) mix together ingredients dough (B) till soft dough is formed, set aside.
(2) for dough (A), combine flour& sugar into a big mixing bowl till well mixed, then rub in shortening till everything is well cooperated.
(3) next, stir water mixture into dough (A) dry ingredients till soft & moist elastic dough is formed. Leave to rest for 20 minutes before further process.
(4) now, divide both dough into 4 portions each then wrap dough (B) into dough (A).
(6) again, flatten the roll dough by pressing it with the rolling pin then roll to form a flat prolong rectangle shape as well, in the opposite way round.
(7) now, roll the shorter end to the other end to form a swiss roll. Then divide each roll into 4 portions. So, you will get all together 16 portions.
500gm taro / yam, skinned & sliced
2 TB wheat starch
60ml cooking oil / corn oil
(1) steamed the sliced taro for 20 minutes or till soft to be mashed.
(2) then add in sugar & wheat starch and blend till well cooperated.
(3) now, preheat a non-stick pan with cooking oil then cook the yam paste till hard ball paste & well cooperated with the oil. Set aside to cool.
*This recipe is just enough to make up 10 balls of filling. So, most probably you need to double up the recipe. Otherwise, use mung bean paste for the leftover pastry crust.
TO ASSEMBLE :
Flatten each portion of pastry dough just by the size to cover 3/4 of the fillings, then slowly push pastry dough to the end of the meeting point and press to seal everything up. The filling is about 50gm each.
Finally, fried pastry till golden brown and leave cool.