Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Golden Honey Pheonix

Hey guy, have you figure out what to cook for this coming 'Chap Goh Meh', this Sunday ? 'Chap Goh Meh' is a Hokkien dialect which means 'Fifteenth Night' and it also means final day of the Chinese New Year celebration. And it also turns into an annual event to celebrate the Chinese Valentine's Day. In older days, 'Chap Goh Meh' was the only night of the year that the unmarried women were allowed to meet up or went on a date with their sweethearts. So, aren't we lucky! One of the most popular event for those unmarried men & women on that day is tossing or throwing mandarin oranges to the river or sea with the wish to find a good spouse. Hey, it's only meant for the unmarried one huh! hahaha....

Ingredients :
1 whole boneless chicken breast, half frozen
1 tspn roasted sesame
1/2 cup corn starch
*
Marinade Seasoning :
1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tspn light soy sauce
1 tspn sugar
ground pepper to taste
*
Ingredients for golden honey gravy :
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp orange mandarin oil/extract
1 tbsp sugar
* thickening : 1 tspn tapioca starch + 2 tbsp water
*
Method :

- slice the half frozen chicken breast about 1cm thickness.
- slightly flatten the meat by a meat tenderizer.



- marinade each meat with the marinade seasoning mixture.
- then chill for 1/2 hour (so that the meat became dry and easier to handle).


- spread a spoon of fish paste onto each meat slice, then roll them up like a Swiss roll.
- make sure the meat stick in one piece.




- preheat frying pan with enough oil for frying.
- roll the meat over corn starch and place them to the frying pan.
- fry the meat over low heat untill golden brown, leave aside.
*

- remove excess oil from the frying pan.
- simply stir in all the honey seasoning and simmer over medium heat.
- add in all the fried meat into the frying pan, once the gravy became thicken.
- stir to mix well and add in the roasted sesame.
- and serve hot.
*
Ta...da.... here's the classy Phoenix meat! haha.... Eventually, chicken meat would be called as Pheonix because they both under the category of birds. So, remember to chew slowly huh! No blaughing, you really need to chew slowly to feel the differences between the tender chicken meat and the spongy fish meat. Oooo... absolutely yummm..... So... think of Honey Pheonix think of me, right! haha... By the way, I'm a rooster! Nope, I'm a Pheeeeonix! ^_^

35 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

That looks fantastic and what an auspicious name too!

Anncoo said...

Very impressive!! Looks so delicious :)

Heavenly Housewife said...

I think that that such a cool/fun tradition for the 15th night :D
This chicken dish looks awesome.
*kisses* HH

Cheah said...

Kristy, I want to try some of those. Haven't thought of what to cook for Chap Goh Meh, yet.

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

An absolutely super recipe Kristy-loving it so muc.....cheers
Have to simply try this one for dinner soon....

Angie's Recipes said...

'Chap Goh Meh'? 15月圆?That's Hokkien dialect? Hokkien dialect overseas is so different from the Hokkien we use at home.
I would love the chicken dish! Definitely!

Elin said...

Kristy
I will definitely think of you when I think of the Phoenix dish...hahaha you are such a funny lady...and I thought i was the funniest one but no..you beat me to it. I love your sense of humor :)
Thanks for this delicious dish. But for now I am just wanting to relax a bit before I start baking again and cooking again :p

Divina Pe said...

That chicken dish looks good. I'll find some mandarin orange, okay. :)

Shirley said...

I simply love the way you do chicken dishes. Each one seems so different from the other.

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This looks so yummy! My Mom wants me to make Chinese food for dinner. This would be perfect.

Jeannie said...

Delicious dish! I want some...but lazy to make the fish paste:P

Claudia said...

I come here and learn and learn. I love the tradition behind the Chinese Valentine's Day and that it comes on the heel of the New year - and I love your dish. Something new to do with chicken is always welcome.

Barbara said...

Lovely recipe, Kristy, and such a nice tradition on the 15th day. I'm not married so I guess I better go throw some mandarin orange pieces in the ocean!

Bob said...

I've never seen those before, they look awesome!

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I bet these are a savory delight! Love them.

Juliana said...

Yummie, looks delicious with the honey sauce on it :-)

Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Totally delicious and I’m craving now this golden delight :)

Have a great week,
Gera

pegasuslegend said...

did you get a new camera, these pictures are getting better and better what a great shot so delicious!

MaryMoh said...

Ya, we are sure lucky...LOL. But we can still have fun and go and throw oranges, right? And your chicken here looks really delicious. The flavour and texture must be excellent....fish paste wrapped in chicken....wow!

reanaclaire said...

Kristy, where did u buy this golden orange oil extract? Looks good!

My Little Space said...

Gong xi fa chai everyone,

Thanks for all the kind comments. Glad that you like this recipe as well. Hopefully, you all will have a fabulous 'chap goh meh'! Have fun throwing the oranges.... hehe...

Cheers always,
Kristy

My Little Space said...

Claire : I bought this at my hometown! I think you can get this from those old chinese grocery shops. As far as I know, won't be able to find this at any supermarkets. Wish you luck!

Mary said...

This looks delicious and I was fascinated by the information you provided for us. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Buy Chinese Groceries said...

If your looking for great prices and discounts on all Asian grocery items and gourmet food related products, AsianMerchant.com have it all. They offer a Chinese cuisine varies greatly from region to region: Szechuan, Cantonese, Hunan, etc. Chinese food can be hot and spicy or not, but generally, meat is rarely eaten, except as a small part of a vegetable or rice dish.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I like and I want! I don't think I am doing anything on chap gor may...
But have heaps of fun sweetie!

Vanillastrawberryspringfields said...

Hola again ...i have a little sweet tag jus for u dear ...hop by right here to see why i though of u as a fascinating blogger...

http://vanillastrawberryspringfields.blogspot.com/2010/02/joannes-birthday-middle-eastern-chicken.html

wendyywy said...

10 years back, my gal friend threw an orange(with name and email inscribed) into a large drain in a housing area, and.. it was picked up by a guy. The guy emailed her, but after a few emails, both got lazy and lost contact.

The oranges does work:)at least, for a few chats :)

lululu said...

only by looking at that bottle of orange oil, i knew this dish is super flavorful!

Patty said...

Kristy! As always, your food looks sooooo delicious! I would eat these and I know that I would love them. The marinade sounds out of this world. And thank you for sharing the story! I will have to let all my single friends know that they need to get some mandarin oranges ASAP!

Laura in Paris said...

During my daughter's sojourn in Singapore, where she lived for two years, I discovered a great deal of recipes, food, costumes, and traditions of the Hokkien people. I was happy to read your post and think of such good memories.

Katy ~ said...

Loved the story with the tradition! It makes the food so much more meaningful to me, and the food looks amazing! Wonderful, wonderful share. Thank you!

alwayswinner786 said...

Yummy! awesome!
In one dish you have all the deliciousness. Great.

petite nyonya said...

Oh la la! So yummy!!
p/s am the one in cheong sam blouse. shhhhh!!

Lyndsey said...

I would love to be with you in your kitchen watching you cook! Your 'chap goh meh' dish looks incredible! Enjoy!

Joy said...

YUMMMM omggg I really need to stop torturing myself, this is getting painful -- you are really cooking up a storm!! These phoenix rolls look incredible Kristy. I WANT SOME RIGHT NOW :) If only people celebrated the new year for two weeks here ... my belly would be full and happy opposed to sad and empty :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...