Vegetables Achar @ Pickled
These few days the weather is extremely hot over here. I'm trying to look for something cool and nice to get my appetites whetted. All a certain, thought of making this vegetables achar or pickled. This is such a perfect side dish to go with any meals and it's also one of our famous local nyonya food. The aroma, the sourness, the sweetness, the spicyness and the texture sure give your taste bud a good kick!
The best is to separate them into smaller containers for storage. This can be kept in the fridge for a very long period. So, ENJOY!!!
1 small size cabbage
200gm long beans
4 red chillies
1 canned pineapple
1/2 cup roasted sesame seeds
1/2 cup roasted ground peanut
3 tspn chili powder (add a few more spoons if prefer spicy)
1 tbsp turmeric powder
Blended Ingredients :
1" knob ginger
6 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemon grass, only take 2" of bottom part
2 candlenuts, smashed
1 tbsp belachan/shrimp paste
1-2" knob galanga/lengkuas
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup lime juice/lemon juice
- washed and cut all vegetables in small sizes.
- marinade cucumber with 2tspn salt and set aside.
- preheat a pot with 4 cups water, 1 tspn salt and 1 cup vinegar.
- slightly boil all the vegetables for one minute except cucumber & pineapples.
- do not over cook them, making sure they're still nice & crunchy.
- then leave aside for cooling and drain.
- preheat frying pan with 2 tbsp cooking oil.
- stir in the blended spices and saute untill fragrant, then add in turmeric powder.
- rinse cucumber with clean water and drain.
- then place all vegetables and chili powder into a big bowl.
- add in the seasoning and the fried mixed spices.
- stir untill well combined and leave to chill over night.