Monday, April 9, 2012

Teochew Braised Tofu

Do allow me to introduce you another delicious local dish. This kind of braised tofu is available almost every corner of Chinese food stalls all around Malaysia. It's normally come together with hard boiled eggs and meat. The origin of this Teochew braised cuisine is basically cooking with loads of spices & seeds together with duck, egg & tofu. But still I love the most is the braised tofu. I have tasted quite a number of it and found that almost different stalls serve different versions. Some salty & some sweet! And I love the sweet ones the most.

So, here's my very own version.
Ingredients :
4 pcs  fried tofu (do not use Japanese tofu)
3-1/2 cups  water
1  cinnamon stick
2  star anise
3  cloves pot
2  cardamom seeds
1 tspn  sichuan pepper

Seasoning :
1-1/2 tbsp  vegetarian oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp  light soy sauce
1/2 tbsp  dark soy sauce
1 tbsp   sugar (or to your taste)

Method :
(1) preheat a non-stick small pot with a little oil and then stir in cinnamon stick, star anise, cardamon pot, seeds & sichuan pepper. Saute till fragrant.
(2) now, add in water & all the seasonings and bring it to boil.
(3) add in fried tofu and simmer for about 15-20 mins or till gravy became thickened.

This kind of tofu goes perfectly delicious especially with chicken rice. While I love having it together with noodles or vermicelli for brunch. Hmmm...mm...simply amazing!

20 comments:

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I love Teochew braised tofu and boiled eggs. I need to get some meaty tofu but it is not easily available here. Happy Easter!

Belinda @zomppa said...

I'd be happy to give this one a try!!

Elin Chia said...

Kristy....I am going to cook this...you know I love tofu and what more teochew style..I am teochew LOL! and I have never cooked this before ! Only my grandma cooked this for us when we were young. Eat with porridge...heavenly!

ICook4Fun said...

My mom like to braise tofu this way too but she will always add some eggs to it.

Small Kucing said...

mmm i like ...especially the gravy with rice

Murasaki Shikibu said...

Sounds delicious. I'd like to try this once I get my hands on the right kind of Tofu!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

sound so yummy, enjoy with a bowl of porridge, sure yummy!

Hayley said...

Yummz.. I can eat this with rice alone! ;)

Sutapa said...

Teochew braised tofu and boiled eggs sounds very interesting combo....I never had it but thanks to you for sharing such local recipes so that we living in some other parts of the world can taste this awesome dishes!
Happy Easter dear friend!

TasteHongKong said...

A comfort food of mine, which is no fat yet so flavorful. I too like adding Sichuan pepper in the sauce : ).

~Lexibule~ said...

Ça donne franchement envie de goûter;) Bonne semaine ma belle!!xxx

Juliana said...

Kristy, this braised tofu looks delicious...and you are right, perfect paired with chicken.
Hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

Zoe said...

I used to eat lots of braised tofu with Teochew style congee when I was young. This is such a classic.

Her Worldly Pleasures said...

Oh my! I loved this tofu in my teochew porridge when I was living in Malaysia.Thanks to your recipe, I can recreate this dish in New Zealand and heal my homesickness!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That dish looks so mouthwatering! I love the way the tofu has soaked up the sauce.

Cheers,

Rosa

lena said...

I would certainly love this and also the braised duck together with porridge, i wld call it a good lunch for me.

Jeannie Tay said...

Yea, I love this tofu dish too! Good job there are many stalls selling these dish where I am staying:D

Cheah said...

This is one dish that my other half will like, especially with a hardboiled egg.

ts said...

Are the cardamon seeds the green type?

My Little Space said...

Hi ts, yes the green type!
Thanks for stopping by.
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...