Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Udon In Local Style Tom Yum Soup

I wonder if anyone of you tried the local style tom yum soup before! It's normally served at the tiny Malay restaurants (not mamak stall). It's a bit different from the Thai style which is super red hot in colour. Local style tom yum soup is very much like clear soup but with a touch of Thai tom yum flavour. Interesting...right? This soup is often cooked with seafood especially fish fillet, prawns & squid. Making it looks even more tempting huh ! What about making this special soup with the addition of homemade udon noodle?

Here's the recipe.
Ingredients :
1 Litre  water
20ml   lime juice
2 stalk  lemongrass
handful of curry leaves
7-8  bird eye chilies, slightly smashed
1 tspn   vegetables granule
1 inches  ginger, smashed
1 tbsp  fish sauce
salt & pepper to taste

#one homemade udon noodles recipe
  some fishballs & sliced fish cake
  some bok choy or choy sum (green veggie)
OR any seafood as desired

Method :
(1) bring water to boil and then add in all ingredients, let soup simmer for about 10-15 mins.
(2) now, add in udon noodles, green vegetables, fishballs or meat as desired and continue simmer for another 5 mins.
(3) once ready serve warm with some fried garlic/onion oil.

Unexpectedly, the udon noodle looks slightly whiter after cooking for the second time. It was very satisfying after all. I love especially the soup. Spicy and aromatic ! Hope you guys will love it too. Enjoy!

14 comments:

Aarthi said...

very hearty soup

Aarthi
YUMMY TUMMY

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Mmmmm this looks really good. Diane

Belinda @zomppa said...

I just salivated thinking about these flavors...those fish balls and those noodles - how perfect!

Pegasuslegend said...

Hope your doing well ... I can see you are up to your old tricks of making the perfect photo and meal this is it!

reanaclaire said...

Home cooked ones are so healthy.. for one thing, there are no preservatives in your udon noodles..

アンゼエリン said...

Agreed with Claire, it looks like a healthy bowl of udon... Tum Yum? nope it doesn't looks spicy to me, not at all.

Angie's Recipes said...

Looks very fresh and flavourful!

Sheoh Yan said...

It looks so good. I love it. I want to make this one day.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

I swear, Kristy, you have the cutest header photograph of anyone in blog land. I smile every time I see it. I have bookmarked this recipe because I know we would love it. Thanks for sharing.

Mary said...

I have never had this version of the soup andI am really curious to try it. my grandsons - and their grandpa - will love those fat noodles. Your recipes always sound so delicious, Kristy. I hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend. Blessings...Mary

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

simple and yummy!

shaz said...

Your homemade noodles look amazing. And I love the clear tom yam style soups. Yum.

lena said...

yes, i've tried before the clear looking tom yum soup, they taste very much quite similar to the red tom yum but very much fragrant. Have a nice day, kristy!

Mrs. Mordecai said...

That looks good. I have never tried udon before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...