Kefir Wild Yeast ~ Caramel Ma Lai Go


FINALLY, there are holes in my cake !!! Bingo, I have finally get it right this time and got what I'm looking for.... the exact two layers which is clearly appeared in my cake. Yaaahooo ! I am totally thrilled. The last one I made here (& here)was very very fluffy but the bottom layer wasn't turning up as expected due to the raw sugar I used (without melting it which actually will help to increase the moisture in the cake itself to form the bottom layer). Other than that, shouldn't beat the mixture like making a common sponge cake. The fluffier your batter is, the worst it gets. So, here's what I did.

Ingredients :
Starter Dough :
200gm  all purpose flour
150ml   homemade kefir drinks / enzyme juice (at room temperature)

Caramel :
300gm  brown sugar (or half palm sugar)
3tbsp  water
80ml   coconut milk
(combine water & sugar and cook over low heat till thick, finally stir in coconut milk & bring to boil. Off the heat & set aside to cool)

Main Batter :
6 large eggs
1/4 tspn  salt
40gm    all purpose flour
20gm    corn flour
40gm    custard powder
1 tspn   coconut extract

Final Mixture :
60ml   corn oil
2 tspn  baking powder
1 tspn  baking soda

Method :
(1)  combine starter dough ingredients and mix well, set aside and let to ferment for 4 hours. (I made it over night, so that I could get it done by the next evening)
(2)  then beat egg & starter dough and caramel till well mixed.
(3)  now, beat together the remaining flour, corn flour, coconut extract, custard powder & salt till everything well combined (with low speed & do not over mix the batter, it will look a little lumpy but it's alright cause everything will be totally dissolved by the end of the day).
(4)  again set the mixture aside (cover with lid) for final fermentation for about 8 hours (mine is 7 hours).
(5)  finally, mix in the final ingredients and stir well.
(6) pour batter to a 9" tray lined with parchment paper, cover the top with aluminium foil and steamed for about 35-40 mins over high heat. (best to let batter stand in the tray for 5 mins before steaming)
(7) once ready, leave cool completely before slicing it.


Once the cake is ready I can't wait any longer to cut it and give it a check if there are holes in it. I don't even bother to tear off the parchment paper. haha.... The cake turned out great. The top layer of the cake is actually quite spongy unlike the bottom layer which is more dense & chewy. I still have more to explore. So, hope you guys will enjoy it too.
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting & Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...