Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Kefir Wild Yeast ~ Caramel Ma Lai Go


FINALLY, there are holes in my cake !!! Bingo, I have finally get it right this time and got what I'm looking for.... the exact two layers which is clearly appeared in my cake. Yaaahooo ! I am totally thrilled. The last one I made here (& here)was very very fluffy but the bottom layer wasn't turning up as expected due to the raw sugar I used (without melting it which actually will help to increase the moisture in the cake itself to form the bottom layer). Other than that, shouldn't beat the mixture like making a common sponge cake. The fluffier your batter is, the worst it gets. So, here's what I did.

Ingredients :
Starter Dough :
200gm  all purpose flour
150ml   homemade kefir drinks / enzyme juice (at room temperature)

Caramel :
300gm  brown sugar (or half palm sugar)
3tbsp  water
80ml   coconut milk
(combine water & sugar and cook over low heat till thick, finally stir in coconut milk & bring to boil. Off the heat & set aside to cool)

Main Batter :
6 large eggs
1/4 tspn  salt
40gm    all purpose flour
20gm    corn flour
40gm    custard powder
1 tspn   coconut extract

Final Mixture :
60ml   corn oil
2 tspn  baking powder
1 tspn  baking soda

Method :
(1)  combine starter dough ingredients and mix well, set aside and let to ferment for 4 hours. (I made it over night, so that I could get it done by the next evening)
(2)  then beat egg & starter dough and caramel till well mixed.
(3)  now, beat together the remaining flour, corn flour, coconut extract, custard powder & salt till everything well combined (with low speed & do not over mix the batter, it will look a little lumpy but it's alright cause everything will be totally dissolved by the end of the day).
(4)  again set the mixture aside (cover with lid) for final fermentation for about 8 hours (mine is 7 hours).
(5)  finally, mix in the final ingredients and stir well.
(6) pour batter to a 9" tray lined with parchment paper, cover the top with aluminium foil and steamed for about 35-40 mins over high heat. (best to let batter stand in the tray for 5 mins before steaming)
(7) once ready, leave cool completely before slicing it.


Once the cake is ready I can't wait any longer to cut it and give it a check if there are holes in it. I don't even bother to tear off the parchment paper. haha.... The cake turned out great. The top layer of the cake is actually quite spongy unlike the bottom layer which is more dense & chewy. I still have more to explore. So, hope you guys will enjoy it too.
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting & Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.

20 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is one of my favourite kueh,,yummy!

reanaclaire said...

gosh.. I would like to have a piece now... it is 3pm.. high tea time! :)

Ah Tze said...

lovely Ma Lai Go, the texture is very nice! I want to have a piece too :)

Cheah said...

Hey Kristy, I like this kuih. Looks nice.

Tina Bk said...

The texture of this cake is amazing. It really does convey how tasty this must be. To me, the recipe is a very unique one, but I am glad I came across it. I have never steamed cooked a cake, but by your photo,it proves to to be a excellent method. Well done!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh wow, yeasted mah Lai goh... Impressive! I love the honeycomb texture of the cake! Congrats to you success! :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Gorgeous! I love ma lai go, but never thought about keffir!

Claudia said...

Oh look at that heavenly texture. Wish I lived next door to you so I could beg.

yummylittlecooks said...

Looks so nice, wish to have a piece....:D

Jeannie Tay said...

I am drooling here! I dare not start making another one as the last one was not a success!

MaryMoh said...

I have never seen anything like this. It looks interesting and beautiful! Kristy, I always love your desserts. You are just so good in it! Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have a great day!

denise @ singapore shiok said...

Hello dear! How have you been? Hope you are happy and well :) So long since I had a taste of ma lai koh. Very simple cake, but so satisfying! Now you got me thinking of huat kueh too! I like the smell of both kueh very much. The first picture in your post looks so artistic!! Congrats on getting the right texture - quite difficult, I tried before, but not satisfied. Must try again!

Amanda said...

oh yum! I will definitely bookmark this recipe!

Amanda
softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

Hayley said...

Kristy, this is my all time favourite leh!!
Just wondering, any homemade enzyme juice will do?

My Little Space said...

Sonia : :o)

Claire : I'll ask Elin to make one for you. OK!

Ah Tze : OK then just wait me at the other side your printer. hehe....

Cheah : Glad you like it too.

Tina : Hi welcome to my humble little space. Hope you'll like it here.

Bee : Thanks so much! Me too I just adored the honeycomb look so much.

Belinda : You can use the common yeasted starter dough too!

Claudia : haha... how I wish I can FEDex over to you.

YLC : Thanks!

Jeannie : Oh I'm so sorry about your cake! I'm sure one day you'll get it right.

Denise : Hi O hi dear old friend, so glad to hear from you. ((hugs)) I bet you're doing good. Will write!

Amanda : Hi, welcome to my little space. Hope you'll like it here & thanks so much for visiting.

Hayley : You can try other enzyme drinks or you can also use the common starter dough method as well. It's under my older link as stated as the above. All the best to you.

To all my readers & dear blogger buddies, as always it is so much joy to hear from you all. Hope you're all having a great time & enjoy your day.
Best wishes
Kristy

~Lexibule~ said...

Quelle texture!! J'adore:) Bon jeudi!!xxx

Anonymous said...

What a great cake! The texture looks wonderful and I bet the taste is pretty great also.

Anonymous said...

Kristy, I'll try again, that anonymous comment was me. Don't know what happened.

lena said...

looks like you're really having fun with the your experiments with enzyme, glad to hear that you get the' holes' that you wanted!

Lyndsey said...

These always amaize me Kristy! I wish I could taste it to know what you are experiencing. Yay! So good it turned out how you want it! :) Just keep on having fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...