Inti Rempah Udang @ Spiced Shrimp Filling
This spiced shrimp filling is commonly used in many of our local snack food or kuih-muih especially nyonya kuih. But mine is more to Malay version. The nyonya version is sweeter. Instead of using the spicy blended paste, they only used candied winter melon and coriander powder for flavouring. The fillings should look darker and not yellowish. For the preparation, you can always make this one or two days earlier and keep them frozen. I'm sure you don't want to rush everything on the same day.
150gm young shredded coconut (1/2 coconut)
6 kaffir leaves
2 tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tspn salt
Blended Paste :
80gm dried shrimps, soaked & pounded
3 large red hilies
7 birdeyes chilies
2 stalk lemongrass, thinly sliced
2 tspn turmeric powder
(1) keep the shredded coconut refrigerated overnight, it works better the next day.
(2) preheat frying pan with 1/2 cup cooking oil.
(3) stir in blended paste and simmer over medium heat untill fragrant.
(4) add in shredded coconut once it's ready and mix to combine.
(5) keep on stirring untill the mixture became fragrant and a little dry.
(6) off the heat, leave cool before used.