Monday, April 18, 2011

'One Stone Two Birds' Tea Snack

Malaysia is such an amazing place where there's so much food available just everywhere you go. From breakfast till dinner or even supper. Those simple little snacks can make your day so much easier. What I'm going to introduce you today is sweet & savory tea snack which you could enjoy at the same time. I love cucur badak, the savory deep fried sweet potato with rempah udang filling. But my kids prefer the sweet version deep fried sweet potato, kuih keria. So, what should I do ? NO PROBLEM. ! Just make both in one shot cause they both using the same ingredients.

Ingredients for Dough :
600gm sweet potato, steamed & mashed
1 tspn salt
100gm all purpose flour
(combine all ingredients and mix to form a soft dough, it's best to mix them up while the mashed potato is still warm. Then divide into 35gm each per portion)



FOR CUCUR BADAK :
(1) fill the mashed potato with inti rempah udang, and sealed nicely.
(2) roll into smooth ball and then slightly flatten it.
(3) deep fry them in hot oil untill golden brown.

Cucur badak is my all time favourite snack. I especially love the deep fried crust with spicy savory filling. Perfect for anytime.



FOR KUIH KERIA :
(1) shape mashed potato into doughnut shape.
(2) then deep fry in hot oil untill golden brown.
(3) finally, stir them over hot syrup frosting and leave cool completely before serving.

Kuih Keria is more to sweet flavour deep fried mashed potato. This is a quickie delicious snack you'll never resist.

Ingredients for Hot Syrup Frosting :
4 tbsp castor sugar
2 tbsp water
a drop of pandan extract

Method :
(1)combine all ingredients and boil over medium heat.
(2) off the heat once it starts bubbling, stir in deep fried kuih keria untill well coated.
(3) leave them onto a tray to cool completely, the syrup will crystallize once it's cooled.

32 comments:

Anncoo said...

WOW Kristy, I love this Kuih Keria...looks so yummy! Please send some over ;DD

The Sweetylicious said...

WOW! it look so crispy and yummy!! (:

Small Kucing said...

the hot and the sweet. Good. Got something for everyone

Heavenly Housewife said...

Oh this looks so good, its like a potato donut!!!
*kisses* HH

gertrude said...

Can I come over and have tea with you :) I has been a long while since I had these. Yea we can get this easily in Malaysia but not here. Each piece of kueh I have to make it myself :(

Belinda @zomppa said...

Love that hearty, filling snack!

Pegasuslegend said...

this is wonderful looking!

Claudia said...

"Sweet, deep-fried mashed potatoes" are beautiful words! Just like your heavenly dish.

CaThY said...

Looks so yummy! *slurp* ;)

Little Inbox said...

I love this too. I'll not make the effort to make it at home, but to buy it from Malay stall, hehe...

Shaz(feedingmykidsbetter) said...

Ooh yum. I'm terrified of deep-frying at home tho.. Maybe this will be the dish to get me deep-frying!

Otehlia said...

Love, love, love. Want, want, want.Seriously, your baked goods are so amazing. I love looking at the pictures, and realizing that there is so much more out the in the world yet to taste and learn.

Jeannie said...

The only thing that has me hesitating is the frying part! Otherwise, I just love these little morsels of deliciousness!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我来喝下午茶了,你的手真巧:P

Hayley said...

I really salute you Kristy, you're so good in making all types of kuih...
Kuih badak is my favourite too!

Wai Kitt said...

I am same type person like Jeannie. When see the word"FRY" already "pengsan", really scare frying works.

PapaCheong's 拿手好菜 said...

Looks real good.

Tempted to try!

Papacheong
http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com/

Ana Rita said...

WOWIIII!!!!
Great...this looks wonderfull!

Kisses,
Rita

divya said...

WOW! it look so crispy and yummy!!

Magic of Spice said...

How very creative to make both at once...keeping everybody happy :) Both sound very tempting!

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

Yes I was going to say how clever you are, perfect using the same dough to make two snacks...such a good mom! :D

Nammi said...

yumm, i would like some of the savory kuih please, perfect with a nice cup of tea :)

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

Nice to be able to combine these! In fact, I'm only familiar with kuih keria but not the other one hehe Looks lovely though :)

My Little Space said...

Ann : Sending you these at 12am???? haha....

The sweetylicious : Glad you like it too!

Kathy : Yeah, you can take what you like. :o)

Heavenly : Thanks!

Gert : Yeah,I know! Each piece of kuih is priceless. :o)

Belinda : ^_^

Claudia : Thanks!

Claudia : Thanks alot!

CaThy : Glad you like it too.

Little Inbox : I used to by them both but lately the vendor didn't have any cucur badak. So, have to make them for my own crave. hehe...

Shaz : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. I felt the same thing too at the beginning but since the frying didn't need much oil & it's not messy at all. So, everything ended up quite well. Hope to hear from you often.

Otehlia : Definitely there are more to learn.

Jeannie : You don't have to hestitate. It's an easy job! Never try never know. So, just go ahead.

Blue Wale : Come & join me!

Hayley : These days not easy to find cucur badak at the stalls.

WaiKitt : haha... NO worries, not much oil is used!

PapaCheong : Hi there, welcome to my little space. Glad you like it too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Rita : Thanks alot!

Divya : Thank you!

Alisha : Yeap, everybody is happy!

Lyndz : And it's pretty easy & quick as well.

Nammi : Come on & join me!

Jen : It's more delicious than kuih keria! You should try it some time.

Thank you all for stopping by and spending your valueable time with me. It's a great pleasure for having you here. Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a scrummy snack! Wow, I'd love some of those with my Japanese tea...

Cheers,

Rosa

Emily Malloy said...

This has me so incredibly hungry!

lena said...

oh kristy! you're really good at everything!! I just want them for my supper now!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Great snacking idea. yummo!

keri said...

OMG.. shut up! ohhh man,... you're killing me. this one I have to try. you're good.

Fantastic!!

MaryMoh said...

Wow..... Kristy, you are a super mom. You made 2 food with one dough...brilliant! I love both! Must be ages since I last ate cucur badak. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you are all well and fine there.

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I have almost forgotten about these delicious treats. I like the cucur badak with the savory filling. Reminds me of rempah udang. You are making me crave for more Malaysian snacks.

shaz said...

Ah so clever. I want to make cucur badak for such a long time but I know no one else will eat them. Didn't think to make kuih keria too :) Definitely going to do this soon, thanks for the inspiration, it looks fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...