Monday, April 25, 2011

Penang Coconut Tart *Copycat*


Why I'm calling this a copycat? See, the other day when scrolling through our local famous coconut tart on the site and found this HERE ! The picture blew me away immediately the minute I saw it. It such an amazing pastry tart. This pastry tart is originated from a very famous bakery shop in Penang called Leong Chee Kee Biscuit. I've never been there before. How I wish I had! Well, If I can't go there, it doesn't mean that I can't have them here. Right? So, here's what I did......

Ingredient for Pastry Crust :
(Dough A)
180gm all purpose flour
50gm rice flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tspn salt
1 tbsp milk powder
110gm water
2 tspn butter
(combine all ingredients and mix them to form a soft dough.)

(Dough B)
230gm all purpose flour
100gm corn oil
(combine all ingredients and mix well.)

Method :
(1) divide dough A into 10 pcs, 33gm each dough balls, set aside the leftover.
(2) divide dough B into 10 pcs, 25gm each dough balls, set aside the leftover.
(3) wrap dough B into dough A and nicely sealed.
(4) and also wrap the leftover dough B into dough A.
(5) further process, please refer here & here.
(For leftover dough, don't have to go through the 2nd roll up.)
(6) use a fork to make holes on the pastry.


Ingredients for Coconut Fillings :
250gm shredded young coconut
180gm sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbsp milk powder
1 tspn salt
1 tspn vanilla essence
50gm butter
1 tbsp cornflour
(mix eggs, sugar and butter till well combined. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix to combined. Set aside)



Ingredients for Almond Cookie Dough :
75gm margarine
40gm sugar
1 egg, beaten
125gm all purpose flour
100gm toasted almond meal

Method :
(1) beat margarine, sugar and egg till well mix.
(2)Stir in flour and almond, mix well.
(3) roll large(leftover) pastry dough into 9x8" square.
(4) spread almond cookie's mixture over the pastry dough, make sure it's well spread & flat.
(5) finally, roll it up like a swiss roll and wrap with plastic sheet.
(6) Keep chilled for about 30mins before slicing it.
(7) finally, divide into 20 pcs and place it to the top of the coconut tart.



(8) brush with egg glaze and bake at preheated oven 205'C for 10 mins and brush egg glazing for the 2nd time, again bake for 10 mins more at 230'C (for crispier skin). I baked mine at 210'C.


I think I'm almost there! :o) Except the crust isn't brown enough.

Boy, glad I made this! Such a great satisfaction. It's like serving myself some hot Penang coconut tarts at home, straight from Leong Chee Kee bakery shop. Enjoy!

35 comments:

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

Kristy OMG these look amazing! They look like they came from a top notch bakery! I wish I could sink my teeth into one and smell it as it was baking. Mmmmm....mmmmm!

Hope your weekend went well, talk to you later. I'm getting ready to go up to Michigan this week for my nieces wedding, lots on my mind but things are going good!

ICook4Fun said...

Very impressive Kristy!! I think they look exactly like the original ones. I love coconut tarts and wish I can have one or two now. I am bookmarking this to try out. Thanks for sharing.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love those coconut pastries! Maybe I should try baking a few for my husband too.

Chaya said...

I am not sure my comment went through. As I was hitting a button, everything seemed to fly away.

I love the recipe and I love to visit here.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

Oh wow. This is one of the most delightful looking little snacks I have seen in a long time. quite an undertaking too. I bet they were worth every second. Feel free to ship one my way. :)

I tagged you on my blog today by the way to do a dinner party post based on your past posts. Have a great day.

Fimère said...

c'est délicieux les tartelettes à la noix de coco j'aime beaucoup
bonne soirée

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter said...

wow they look amazing and so true just because we haven't been to a bakery doesn't mean we can't enjoy it :-)

Claudia said...

So... you saw a photo and figured out the recipe???? Whatever you did, you did it splendidly - they definitely make me want a bite... or two .... or three....

Belinda @zomppa said...

Pretty darn impressive! Coconut tarts are such a perfect little sweet somethin' somethin'. Gorgeous, too.

Hayley said...

Interesting! I like the 'swirl look' of the tarts, hehe :P

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

These look delicious! I always love Chinese pastries and yours look so delicate and inviting :)

Jeannie said...

That looks delicious! I would love to try this but am too lazy lol! I think I'll wait for my son to learn this and bake for me:P

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个很有创意哦,不过很多工噢:P

Heavenly Housewife said...

This also looks like a treat that I like to eat here in England! And guess what? I am making a coconut tart today too (but its a big one, like a pie).
You did a marvellous job recreating the desert!
*kisses* HH

Nammi said...

yumm, that looks delicious. by the way kristy how do you say young coconut in malay,

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Pure genius! Yes you lady! Very pretty and excellent copying if I say so myself! Bookmarked...have to try it out myself. ;) Thanks Kristy!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristy, nothing is too difficult is it? These tarts looks very perfectly baked. I am sure they taste as good as they look. Kudos to this brilliant COPY CAT!

reanaclaire said...

Perfect 10!

Alice Law said...

Looks great, crispy at the outside and creamy rich inside... it's pity tht I'm not a fan of coconut, else I'll definitely giv it a try!^^

Mary said...

What a wonderful treat. These look beautiful and I'm sure they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...MAry

Katerina said...

It seems to me that you did an excellent job copying them! They look delicious!

divya said...

looks wonderful and so inviting..

lena said...

hi kristy, i dont think i have eaten this coconut tarts before, look unsual than the normal ones. I'll try to see if i can get these the next time i'm in penang, thanks for sharing !

Barbara Bakes said...

The next best thing to being there, or maybe better. They look scrumptious!

Pegasuslegend said...

I would love to know who eats all this fabulous food you make? Everything I make is in the freezer, blogging is so hard to use it all up with two people... everything you make looks fabulous! I gain weight just visiting your site!

penny aka jeroxie said...

OMG... LOVe this! Now I can make it at home. :)

My Little Space said...

Lyndz : Hey, have a safe trip and have fun!OK, chat later!

Gert : Thanks! Hope you will like it!

Angie : Great, hope your darling will like it.

Chaya : Hi dear, it's a great pleasure for having you here.

Katrina : Thanks so much for your invitation.

Fimere : Merci, glad you like it too!

Rebecca : Yeap, it stopped me from craving!

Claudia : Thank you very much. I don't think they'll ever give me the recipe! haha... Yeap, have to discover by my own.

Belinda : Thanks alot! How I wish to share some with you.

Hayley : You're lucky cause staying so near to Penang!

My Little Space said...

Jen : Thank you very much! But quite lots of work involved.

Jeannie : Lucky you! I wonder if there's anyone selling this version in KL!

Blue wales : Yeah, you're right!

HH : can we make an exchange??? hehe...

Nammi : Thanks! "Kelapa muda"!

Bee : Oh boy, what a compliment! Thanks alot. Hope you'll like it. Frankly, I think the crust is a bit tricky. Temperature control is very important. All the best.


Veron : :o) Thank you!

Claire : Remeber to buy this on your next trip to Penang. And FedEX some over as well. OK! :o)

Alice : Juan Juan little hands unable to fit in the work!

Mary : Thank you. You too, have a lovely day.

Katerina : Thanks!

Divya : Thank you!

Lena : Ya and remember to let me know how the original ones taste like. OK!

Barbara : Thanks so much!

Claudia : We finished them up in 2 days. It tasted better after reheat.

Panny : Enjoy & have fun!

Thank you everyone for visiting and spending your time here with me. Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Emily Malloy said...

That is BEAUTIFUL

CheapAppetite said...

I don't care if it's a copy cat. This tart looks yummy. If you can make it from just looking at the picture, then you're awesome too! I knew how to buy them. lol. Have a great day!

FOODESSA said...

The shear dedication and passion you carry on in your kitchen is so inspiring to me Kristy.
I love these tarts. Now, I too wish you'd live next door so that we could share what we're best at ;o)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

shaz said...

Wow, wow, wow, you are amazing! Working out a recipe just by looking at the photo? The pastries look fantastic. Well done.

Magic of Spice said...

Absolutely right! These are just amazing...and I mean amazing, I would be in danger living close by ;)

Maja said...

What an amazing pastry ! I've never had anything like this, but I have a feelinig i would love it !

Anonymous said...

click here as You name it ! Cultures have taught people to prepare popular types of ethnic foods. There is constrast in texture and also contrast in taste from one to another and usually people eat with their eyes. It is only when you taste the foods that you can confirm what you see. Antique to Astrology, Bread to Butter, Clogs to Clans, Fabric to Food, History to Heritage … to Zodiac Study, Jonker Walk is waiting for you to expose her. The old and the new, the bad, the good and the ugly. Walk on the past, the present and the future of a street that was influenced by Parameswara, Admiral Zheng He, Afonso de Albuquerque, Saint Francis Xavier, Sir Tun Tan Cheng Lock, Tunku Abdul Rahman, Sir Stamford Raffles, Sultan Muzaffar Syah, Johan van Twist, Archibald Brown and so on.

click here to zoom in to Jonker and share with you friend if you have been there; also share with your friend if you have not been there. Many have yet to discover its’ beauty. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...