Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pulut Rempah Udang

'Pulut Rempah Udang' is also meaning as stuffed glutinous rice with spiced coconut filling. It is one popular kuih among all those nyonya desserts. Though, there's alot of work is involved in this recipe yet it's still all worth it. The original nyonya style rempah filling is not spicy but sweet and it looks darker instead of yellow. Well, I might as well make another batch with the sweet version later on. I will never had enough of them. I especially love the filling....simply delicious.

Ingredients :
500gm glutinous rice
400ml light coconut milk
1-1/2 tspn salt
1-1/2 tbsp sugar

Method :
(1) rinse the rice thoroughly, divide into two portion.
(one portion soaked with blue colouring & the other one with plain water)
(2) combine salt, sugar and coconut milk together, mix well.
(3) drain rice and then add in 200ml coconut milk to each rice.
(4) steam for 25 mins over preheated steamer.
(5) leave cool completely before combining them together.


TO ASSEMBLY :
(1) by using a sushi mould, place in some steamed rice and fillings.
(2) press the rice untill nicely fit and remove them from mould.


(3) place the moulded rice to a piece of banana leaf.
(4) wrap the leaf around the rice.


(5) use your fingertip press against the end of one edge.
(6) fold in both sides and stapler up the folding neatly.


(7) simply push the rice to one side to prevent lose space.
(8) repeat the folding and stapler to seal.
(9) finally, toast them over frying pan untill the leaf is roughly burnt or bake at preheated oven 220'c for about 15 mins. But it's still the best to pan toast them on a non stick pan over medium heat, with a little oil to prevent the leaves from drying out.
You can roughly get about 40+ pieces all of them and is about two bites size each. Perfect for parties or any gathering.

The blue colouring is totally different from the original blue which made of dried pea flowers. My nearby friends (mostly farmers), they said they'll plant the blue pea flowers for me. haha.... How nice of them. Then I'll have all the supply I want. How cool is that. lol! So, stay tune for more delicious treats.

* I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysia Monday Event.

30 comments:

Belinda @zomppa said...

How cool!! I would love to try this blue rice!

Katerina said...

This looks so vivid, i can't wait for the sweet version!

Small Kucing said...

oooo these are so delicious.......drooling. Very long time didnt have this

Pegasuslegend said...

wow this looks terrific~

Magic of Spice said...

I love these! They look fantastic and I love the blue coloring, just beautiful :)

Elra's cooking and baking said...

So mouth watering, it almost reminds me of Lemper ayam.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

I can not tahan to see you use blue colouring, immediate come to my mind to send you some dried pea flowers, hehehe. Since your good nearby friend is planting for you, then i drop the idea. Anyway, if you want some, i can still send some for you, let me know. This is a recipe I wanted to do long time ago, you just inspired me to make this soon.

wowaccountforsale said...

I'm loving what I see and I'm craving for that. I seemed a little tasky to make but I'm pretty sure its worth the try. Can't wait to try out this one.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我爱这个,感谢你的步骤图,我要学起来^^

shaz said...

Great idea to use the sushi mould! Looks very symmetrical :) I love this pulut, and wish I could get the kacang telang flowers. Yum.

Btw - Suresh from 3 Hungry Tummies is hosting this month. Thanks for a great entry.

Blackswan said...

Hey Kristy, I'll definitely try this recipe sometime. Love it!

Oh, Luxury Haven is conducting her 2nd Giveaway, open to all regardless of when u reside :) Be sure to support & join in the fun @ Mother’s Day Handmade Accessories Giveaway!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

They look amazing but I am sure that I would not have the patience to make them! Diane

Beloved Green said...

I've never tried this before, love all of the colors in this!

Claudia said...

How deliciously pretty. Aching to put some "blue" on the plate.

Fimère said...

c'est très beau à voir la recette est fantastique bravo
bonne soirée

Cooking Gallery said...

This remind me of that 'Little Nyonya' series ;). Never heard of Rempah Udang until I watched the series...;).

Heavenly Housewife said...

Wow, that is really pretty. It reminds me of a flower. I love that blue colour, it looks so fun.
*kisses* HH

tigerfish said...

Wooo....the famous Nyonya kueh!

FOODESSA said...

That blue is so attractive Kristy...interesting recipe preparation. I may just make my cookies that color too next time ;o)

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Zoe said...

This is always my fav childhood kueh! But I don't think I'm skillful enough to make these kuehs.

Hayley said...

This is my favourite Kristy! Yumm yumm~

citronetvanille said...

Kristy!! anytime I come visit, I see something I would love!! those are so me, I adore coconut, your little parcels of glutinous rice are very cute, just like doll toys :o) - even if they're time consuming, sometimes, they're worth the time.

My Asian Kitchen said...

so delicious!! looking at your pulut inti make me miss home back there..

lena said...

this is another great malaysian kuih! i wish someone would plant the blue peas for me too, how nice of your friends!

My Little Space said...

Belinda : You must try it one day!

Katerina : Ya, but have to wait a little longer. haha...

Kathy : I love it too! But don't like our local ones.

Claudia : Thanks alot!

Alisha : Thank you. I think the natural pea flower blue even more attractive.

Elra : Lempar ayam! Must check that out soon. ha...

Sonia : Whoa, so nice of you. Ya, I would love to have some now cause it takes a bit of time for them to grow and blossom. Thank you veyr much for your kindness. So sweet.

wowaccountforsale : Thank you very much!

Blue wale : Hope you will like it! Enjoy!

Shaz : Thank you for keeping me inform. I'll send my entry there.

Shirley : Thank you veyr much for your invitation. I'll hop over asap.

Diane : haha... ya, nice sutffs need time to get them cook.

Beloved Green : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. Hope to hear from you more often. Enjoy!

Claudia : The natural pea flower blue even better!

Fimere : Merci, hope can share some with you.

Cooking Gallery : Oh, you watched that series. I love the story very much. It was very touching.

HH : Hopefully, it's not a blue day.

tigerfish : yeap, my fav!

Claudia : haha... looking forward for it.

Zoe : You have to believe yourself. I find it very hard too before making it but it's actually quite easy. You just prepare the filling one or 2 days before. Then you have no need to rush everything in one day. It would be really relax.

Hayley : I love it too!

Silvia : Hope to ahsre some with you.

My Asia Kitchen : Poor thing, then you must visit home more often.

Lena : haha... But still have to wait a certain period. Not sure when! haha...

Thank you very much to all. It's such a great pleasant for having you here visiting every now & then. It's such a blessing. Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Jeannie said...

Wow that looks delicious, I like that you've added from blue colouring for the rice!

Lyndsey ~The Tiny Skillet~ said...

Hi Kristy! Am I late for the party? I just can't keep up with you. I can only get on the computer in the evenings so it backs me up.

You are very patient wrapping all these wonderful little tasty packets. It's amazing how good they look, I can just imagine how good they taste. How special you are that you have your own farmer source! :D

Talk to you later,
Lyndsey

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Kristy, let me know your address, I will post some for you..

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I love rempah udang and have made it several times here. Yours look lovely with the blue rice.

The 21st Century Housewife© said...

This looks just beautiful, and I can imagine just how delicious it tastes! Thank you for sharing with Let's Do Brunch. The linky is up again for this week and I do hope you will come along and join in again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...