MACAROONS! All this times, I have heard all about it and how tricky they are to be baked. Even professional bakers did mentioned about the same problems. So, if any of you out there couldn't make this successfully...don't worried, you're not alone! hahaha..... For me, the most trickiest part was the baking process. Probably different oven need different set up. The normal baking temperature is 150'C for 8-10 mins for most bakers but mine took much longer than that. And I'm glad I didn't give up.... I better not cause almond meal is pretty expensive here. ha..
And here's what I did.
Ingredients : (recipe adapted to Cannelle en Vanille)
100gm egg white
1 tbsp sugar
200gm icing sugar
125gm almond meal/flour
15gm cocoa powder
pinch of salt
(1) measure the egg white the night before or 2 days before, leave it at room temperature to dry & thicken.
(2) sieve almond flour, icing sugar & cocoa powder together, set aside. If using almond meal, blend them all together by using a blender/food processor)
(3) whip egg white and salt untill foamy, then add in 1 tbsp sugar & continue whipping untill peak foam.
(4) now, fold in almond mixture bit by bit gently, by using a hnad whisk or flexible scraper or spatula.
(5) once the batter is well incorporated, it should be shinny & 'flow like magma'. Do not over mix the batter.
(6) now, transfer batter to a piping bag and pipe it onto baking trays lined with greaseproof paper, roughly in about 1 inch circle.
(7) and leave them aside for at least an hour or untill the skin crust has foam on the surface of the batter. Otherwise, the top crust will crack after baked.
(8) finally, bake at reheated oven 150'c on the middle deck for 10 mins and then rotate the tray and bake at 160'C for another 8 mins on the bottom deck. Keep your eyes on them.
(9) once the macaroons can be easily push off the greaseproof paper, remove them from the oven immediately; if they're still sticking to the sheet , they are undercooked. Bake for a few more minutes.
(10) leave to cool completely before removing from the greaseproof paper and sandwich them with cream or any other fillings as desired. I had mine with dulche de leche mousse cream and then freeze them.
I kept mine in the freezer before serving. The cream isn't falling apart and it tastes exactly like having macaroons ice-cream. It is great! ha... These macaroons are absolutely marvelous.
(candy, sweets, desserts)