Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Nyonya Sambal Chicken

My mom used to make this kind of sambal cooking with prawns many years back but don't see her making this anymore. Not sure why! I'm actually quite craving for this dish. Can't help it either to make my own. Besides, my mom can hardly remember what she has put into that recipe as well. Believe it or not! hahaha.... Well, imagine that is ME 10 years later! ha... No doubt that I have to put everything in my blog.

Ingredients :
2 chicken thigh meat, sliced
salt & pepper
1 egg white
1/2 cup corn flour or tapioca flour
handful of cherry tomatoes, halves1 big onion, cut in chunks
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp sugar

Method :
(1) marinade chicken meat with salt & pepper and then stir in egg white, set aside.
(2) now, blend sambal paste and set aside.
(3) preheat wok/pan with enough cooking oil to fried the chicken meat.
(4) coat chicken meat with cornflour then fry untill golden brown.
(5) using the same pan, remove more than half of the cooking oil.
(6) stir in the blended paste and saute untill fragrant.
(7) then add in tomato sauce, sugar, tomatoes and onion, cook over high heat for 2 mins.
(8) now, stir in fried chicken meat and mix well.
(9) off the heat and serve hot.

Ingredients for Sambal Paste :
5 shallots
6 gloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
5 red chilies
5 birdeyes chilies
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced (only the bottom part)
50gm dried shrimp, soaked
1 tspn asam jawa paste
15gm belacan/shrimp paste
(combine all ingredients and blend into fine paste)

Probably, I will cook this next time when I visit her. See, what will she comment on my version of nyonya sambal. Enjoy!
*
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.

35 comments:

divya said...

Very tempting and fabulous sambal chicken.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

That really sounds good. All the best flavours. Diane

Anncoo said...

WOW Kristy! I love this sambal chicken very much...looks so delicious!

Emily Malloy said...

That looks SO GOOD!

Elra's cooking and baking said...

Drooling! I love sambal in a ny form. Your sambal ayam surely is delectable.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Oh my my - I LOVE this dish! So full of my kind of flavor.

Christine's Pantry said...

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing.

gertrude said...

At a glance I thought it was sweet and sour chicken. I love sambal and can have it in any dish. This dish looks great!

Pegasuslegend said...

I can tell by the ingredients this is awesome nicely done Kristy!

Small Kucing said...

yummm....drooling in the morning. Must go find and try

Jeannie said...

What a coincident that I was craving for some sambal yesterday and decided to cook some too...I even did all the hard work of pounding the sambal paste ingredients all by myself! Cravings satisfied:D

tigerfish said...

looks like Gu Loo Yok!

Sinful Sundays said...

Geez, this looks so delicious and filling!

Little Inbox said...

Hmm...what else I can say? This is so appetizing!

cherry potato said...

Oh, I m drooling..........this looks very delicious

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

more rice please..

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

给我大大碗白饭....我饿了....:$

アンゼエリン said...

looks hot n spicy...and yet so delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

Perfect with steamed rice!

Cooking Gallery said...

I love this type of dish very much...! Nyonya sambal with chicken just sounds totally divine...!

Fimère said...

délicieuse façon de cuisiner le poulet, j'aime beaucoup
bonne journée

lena said...

kristy, anything sambal will do good for me, looks really appetising! love your this version of sambal chicken too!

Juliana said...

This chicken looks delicious, love the spices in it...and nice color. Hope you are having a great week Kristy :-)

Zoe said...

Will bookmark your sambal paste recipe and get my husband to make this :D

Nammi said...

yumm, that looks delicious kristy!, hope you are having a great day and have a nice week end

TasteHongKong said...

Hmm, appetizing! If I have a daughter who makes me this dish, I'll for sure take it as the best Sambal Shicken in the world.

yummylittlecooks said...

wow! this is so delicious!!

Barbara said...

I love your chicken dishes, Kristy. And that you use thighs...the most flavorful part of a chicken. Great recipe!

shaz said...

Lucky you have a blog to record all your recipes then :) And lucky for us so we can try your yummy food ourselves. This is another mouthwatering creation, thanks Kristy.

Rosita Vargas said...

excelente receta que cocina tu madre y que aún recuerde es un mérito,sabias las madres de antes, el pollo cocinado así es contundente y delicioso,adoro las gambas,cariños y abrazos.

Cheah said...

Kristy, can't help salivating! Great with white rice or nasi lemak...yum, yum!

alison said...

great dish,kristy!it's traditional in malaysia?

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone,

So sorry for the late reply. I've been very very sick these two days. Can hardly drop a few lines. Just to keep you ladies & gentlemen informed that I'll be back soon. I'm glad you all like this dish a lot.

And for the new comers, welcome to my humble little space. Hope to hear from you more often.

Hope you're all having a wonderful day and a great weekend.

Best regards,
Kristy

The Tiny Skillet said...

Kristy, sorry to hear you are not feeling well, take care and get better soon.

I was trying to get my mom's recipe of a dish she used to make when I was a kid, she said she'll have to look for it, she hasn't made it much lately. Funny how our cooking styles change.
This sambal chicken looks perfect, and I would love to try it. My husband has to watch the spices, so I will have to wait until I can try yours. :D or I'll have to make it when he is on a business trip!

Take care,
Lyndsey

penny aka jeroxie said...

Get well soon please! And then make more delicious food like this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...