My mom used to make this kind of sambal cooking with prawns many years back but don't see her making this anymore. Not sure why! I'm actually quite craving for this dish. Can't help it either to make my own. Besides, my mom can hardly remember what she has put into that recipe as well. Believe it or not! hahaha.... Well, imagine that is ME 10 years later! ha... No doubt that I have to put everything in my blog.
2 chicken thigh meat, sliced
salt & pepper
1 egg white
1/2 cup corn flour or tapioca flour
handful of cherry tomatoes, halves1 big onion, cut in chunks
3 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp sugar
(1) marinade chicken meat with salt & pepper and then stir in egg white, set aside.
(2) now, blend sambal paste and set aside.
(3) preheat wok/pan with enough cooking oil to fried the chicken meat.
(4) coat chicken meat with cornflour then fry untill golden brown.
(5) using the same pan, remove more than half of the cooking oil.
(6) stir in the blended paste and saute untill fragrant.
(7) then add in tomato sauce, sugar, tomatoes and onion, cook over high heat for 2 mins.
(8) now, stir in fried chicken meat and mix well.
(9) off the heat and serve hot.
Ingredients for Sambal Paste :
6 gloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
5 red chilies
5 birdeyes chilies
1 stalk lemongrass, sliced (only the bottom part)
50gm dried shrimp, soaked
1 tspn asam jawa paste
15gm belacan/shrimp paste
(combine all ingredients and blend into fine paste)
Probably, I will cook this next time when I visit her. See, what will she comment on my version of nyonya sambal. Enjoy!
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.