Monday, May 30, 2011

Deep Fried Chicken 'Kuo Rou' & Curry Sweet Potato Puff

Yes, more local food and snacks on the way. This is one of many street food of Malaysia called as curry puff. The small ones cost about RM1 for 3 pieces without any meat, RM1.00-1.50 per piece with meat. And large ones like mine cost about $2.00 per piece. Too bad, mine are not for sale! haha....

All this while only deep fried curry tuna, chicken & beef puffs available in the market but not something more to Chinese version. I mean something unsual to enjoy. So, I'm making something wild today. Are you ready for this? Here we go.

Ingredients for Pastry Puff :
Dough A
280gm all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tspn salt
50gm butter or margerine
140ml water
(combine flour, sugar and salt in a big bowl. Rub in margerine till well combined. stir in water for form a soft dough)

Dough B
180gm all purpose flour
80gm shortening
combine all ingredients and mix till to form a dough)

Method :
(1) wrap dough B into dough A, nicely sealed.
(2) roll out flat into a rectangle shape.
(3) fold dough over lap each other and again roll out flat about




Ingredients for Taro Filling :
300gm taro, cubed
1 large onion, diced
200gm chicken minced meat

Seasoning :
1/4 tspn chinese 5 spice powder
1 cube red fermented beancurd/Lam Yue
1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste
*thickening : 1/2 cup water + 1/2 tspn tapioca starch

Method :
(1) deep fry taro untill brown or totally cooked & set aside.
(2) preheat wok/pan with just enough cooking oil.
(3) stir in onion and chicken minced meat, cook over medium heat untill fragrant.
(4) add in deep fried taro and mix well. (5) stir in the seasoning and stir well.
(6) finally, add in thickening and simmer untill thickened.

Remember how I learn to make my pleating when I was little. I used to steal a little bit of my mom's homemade noodle dough to play with. Well, NO playdough available at the time! So, what else am I expecting! I'll normally watch my neighbours making their goodies from outside the window. And practised the handwork on my play dough all by myself. Cool huh! It was fun. Children's today are too busy to do such a thing. Probably, they think it's time wasting.

So, the best advice I can give to my children was "learn whatever you can when you're still young cause you'll never know what will end up in one day, the only thing is be tough whatever you're facing and be a better man"!
*
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.
(pastry, snack, appertizer)

32 comments:

Velva said...

Street food inspires me. the use of simple ingredients to create extraordinary taste. Awesome.

Cheers.
Velva

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

so pretty- I don't usually cook much with deep fry methods- the clean up is a major deterrent.

Belinda @zomppa said...

I love the texture of these puffs! Simply beautiful!

Pegasuslegend said...

I would love to make something as perfect as these look very professinal !

reanaclaire said...

Kristy, never thought of opening an eatery shop?? sure big biz one!!

Anonymous said...

I am keen to try on this recipe.
Can i know how much flour is needed
for Dough B, the weight is not stated
in your recipe.

Thank you.

Jeannie said...

Another yummy recipe to bookmark:D and yes, the amount of flour for dough B is missing!

shaz (feedingmykidsbetter) said...

wow. they are so pretty and well made. well done kristy!

Nammi said...

yumm, love curry puffs :) have often wondered how they get those layers :). have a nice day

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个我做过,很多工,想到都怕,呵呵:)

Anncoo said...

I love curry puff and this pastry is my favorite too. Very flaky and crispy..yummy!

nancy at good food matters said...

beautiful handling of the pastry, Kristy! I'm sure the filling is quite delicious.

Barbara said...

Your pastry looks wonderful, Kristy. Street food is so much fun and you've certainly taken the idea to a new level!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Ok. I give up. You need to send me some of these puffs. Please.

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

Your puffs look amazing!!! Too bad they are not for sale! :)

My Little Space said...

Velva : Thanks! Glad you like it too.

Ren : It's OK! You cab still bake it if you prefer to!

Belinda : Thanks, dear! So, are you hugnry now?

Claudia : :o)

Claire : Probably, some day!

Anonymous : Hope you will like it too! The (B) flour is 180gm. I must have accidentally deleted it. Thanks for keeping me inform.

Jeannie : Yeap, it's on!

shaz : Thanks alot for your lovely words!

Nammi : Now, you can finally make your own puffs!

Blue wale : haha... Maybe I get used to it already!

Ann : Thank you!

Nancy : welcome to my humble little space. Glad you like it too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Barbara : Thank you! Hope could share with you.

Penny : haha...No...don't give up!

Andrea : hahaha... OK then I have to open up a restaurant in US! What do you think? haha... Just kidding!

Thank you all for spending your valueable time here with me today. It such a great pleasure for having you here. Hope you're all enjoying your day ahead.

Blessings,
Kristy

Heavenly Housewife said...

Daaaahling, that is truly a think of beauty!
*kisses* HH

Fimère said...

patate douce avec du curry ça doit être délicieux j'adore les patates douce j'en prends note merci pour cette recette
bonne soirée

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those are magnificent! I love the designs made by the pastry. Yummy!

Cheers,

Rosa

~~louise~~ said...

How clever are you, Kristy. Those puffs are, as Rosa said, magnificent!!!

I love playing with play dough but when it comes to pastry, I'm all thumbs.

Thank you so much for sharing, any left???

Erin said...

These look perfect! They are the perfect color and everything! I have never had them before, but they wound wonderful!

Rebecca from Chow and Chatter said...

oh yum I want one looks a little like cornish pasties

Barbara Bakes said...

So pretty. I love that you can see the flaky layers.

tigerfish said...

Never tried Kou Rou puff before. Such shapes usually means curry puffs for me.

Mary said...

I'm not sure I'm up to making these, but I'd certainly have no trouble eating them. They look wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Kristy, you never fail to entice me with your delicious post! I'm always so motivated after seeing what you made every time! This spiral pastry puffs is so nicely made! Hats off! I have so many of your recipes that I've been wanting to tryfor a long time now. This one just adds on to it ;))))

Katherine said...

Curry puffs are my favorite and these sound particularly good! Love the use of sweet potato!

Magic of Spice said...

These are so cool! Really gorgeous...I love how they show all of the layers, very creative :)

My Little Space said...

HH : thank you! I hope to share some with you.

Fimere : Merci, dear.

Rosa : Thank you so much!

louise : haha... you're so funny!

Erin : Thanks alot and glad you like it too.

Rebecca : But different texture!

Barbara : Thanks!

Tigerfish : You're right! That's why I want to try something new!

Mary : haha.... I hope I could share of mine. You too. Have a lovely day!

Bee : Just take it easy! Nothing to rush about.

Katherine : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. It's nice meeting you. Hope to hear from you more often.

Alisha : Thanks very much for your lovely comment.

Thank you everyone for spending your time here with me. Am glad you like this too!

Hope you're all having a fabulous day.

Blessings, Kristy

Lyndsey said...

I am sure your lovely, flaky, curry puffs are worth a lot more. I would pay twice that price and more for yours! My mouth is watering. Yum!

lena said...

the filling is special, everytime i come to your blog, sure i find something that surprises me!

shaz said...

Oooh, very interesting filling and such pretty puffs. I remember asking my mum to let me have a go at pleating curry puffs too when I was younger. My kids begged to fold wantan the other day, so I gave in, surprisingly all the wantan turned out pretty good, even though slightly lopsided :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...