Homemade deep fried egg tofu is one of the most popular dish at almost every restaurants around the region. Almost every restaurants I've been to will recommend their signature golden deep fried egg tofu dish. Well, I had finally came to make mine own as well.
Ingredients : (recipes adapted from here)
500ml fresh soy milk
6 large eggs
1 tspn salt
*thickening : 1 tspn wheat starch + 1 tbsp water
one sheet seaweed
(1) beat the eggs, salt and soy milk together untill well mixed.
(2) stir in the thickening and mix well.
(3) pour mixture to a 7" tray lined with aluminium foil.
(4) then cover the top with the seaweed sheet.
(5) steam for 20mins in a preheated steamer over super low heat. Keep an eye on the mixture after 10 mins and check on it another 10 mins later if the middle is set.
(6) remove the tray from steamer once its ready. Leave to cool completely before slicing it.
(7) preheat a frying pan or wok with cooking oil.
(8) coat the egg tofu with flour mixture and then fry untill golden brown over medium heat. Fried them over medium heat will help to maintain the crispiness of the crust for a little while longer.
*Flour mixture : 1/2 cup all purpose flour + 3tbsp rice flour (mix well)
Did you notice the silky mirror surface of the homemade egg tofu? The egg tofu looks so presentable with the addition of seaweed sheet as well. Even a simple decoration does make a big difference. Enjoy!
I'm sending this to Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.