Monday, June 20, 2011

Homemade Indian Rojak

This is our local famous Indian Rojak and also called as Mamak Rojak. These are commonly sold at our local mamak or Indian stalls at noon time. It is also one of my favourites. Indian rojak contains of fried tofu, kuih udang(deep fried prawns fritter), cucumber, bean sprouts, potatoes & hard boiled egg mixed with sweet thick sauce. Guess, this is another challenging task. Quite a lot of works involved but it's all worth it and I'm truly happy with it. :o) Yeap, there's nothing wrong with your eyes! I made this.*wink*

(Recipe Adapted to Amy Beh)
Ingredients for Kuih Udang :
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tspn turmeric powder
1/2 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn baking soda
1 tbsp sugar
1 tspn salt
1-1/3 cup water
2 eggs
150gm small whole shrimps
200gm kuchai/chives

Method :
(1) combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in a big bowl.
(2) in another bowl beat eggs into water.
(3) next, stir the egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix to combine.



(4) dip a steel spoon into hot oil then place in the batter & top with a shrimp.
(5) then put the spoon to the hot oil till the batter can easily release from the spoon.
(6) and let to fry till brown & fluffy.

These 'kuih udang' can be served alone with sweet & spicy chili sauce. They taste as yummy. And you can always preheat them in the oven just before serving.

Now, here's the homemade Indian Rojak Sauce.

Ingredients for Rojak Sauce :
150gm mashed sweet potatoes
190gm brown sugar
2-1/2 tbsp asam/tamarind paste
150gm toasted peanut, pounded
2 cups water
1 tspn salt

Blended paste :
8 shallots
3 gloves garlic
4 red chilies/bird eyes chilies
1-1/2 tbsp belachan
2 tbsp chili Boh

Method :
(1) preheat deep frying pan with 3/4 cup cooking oil.
(2) saute the blended ingredient till fragrant.
(3) then stir in all other ingredients and mix till well combined.
(4) simmer the mixture till thickened.
(5) and serve hot with all other ingredients.

Ingredients for Indian Rojak : (serve 4)
3 deep fried tofu, cubed
4 hard boil eggs, quartered
200gm bean sprouts, scalded
1 cucumber, shredded
cut kuih udang into small bite size

*place a little of everything onto a plate and top with rojak sauce then serve.

I can't believe it that I am actually making my own Indian rojak at home. The sauce is pretty easy to prepare and the deep frying task isn't that bad either. Are you jealous of me???? haha.... Then you should make your own some time. Have fun guys.
*I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event.
(seafood, vegetables, salad)

32 comments:

Mary said...

I have never had this dish, but your version of it has convinced I really should give it a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Magic of Spice said...

What a wonderful dish and those shrimp look amazing just by themselves...This sauce however, I must try someday, wow!
Hope you are having a wonderful day

Fimère said...

ça me met en appétit cette assiette bien garnie! j'adore
bonne journée

Peggy said...

This sounds so incredibly tasty!

Anncoo said...

Long time did not take Indian Rojak...please reserve some for me :))

divya said...

Seriously am drooling over that delicious dish,simply mouthwatering here..

Rosita Vargas said...

Delicuous disch look so soft and perfect,love presentation,thaks for the awesome recipe,hugs,hugs.

Angie's Recipes said...

I have never had this...the sauce looks divine!

Little Inbox said...

This is pasembur. I made once, it took me very long to prepare the gravy.

cherry potato said...

还有吗?我要吃!!

Honey Bee Sweets said...

Oh geeze, I'm salivating as I'm looking through your photos! It's been awhile since I last ate Indian Rojak...love the generous sauce you pour over!

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

这个你也会做哦....太厉害了吧:)
我好久没吃了:$

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristy, cucur udang is my favorite. I don't make that at home because no one eats it except me. I used to go the Nyonya Colors in Empire Subang to eat it to my heart's content.I put lots of chilly sauce on it. MMMM..., eat it with a bowl of bubur kacang hijau will send me to nirwana!

Emily Malloy said...

I can smell it from here! YUMM!

lena said...

not jealous but truly admire your talent and capability in cooking all these!!

gertrude said...

I am salivating just look at it. So long I didn't have this dish. I like this with a lot of kacang gravy :)

cikmanggis said...

Kristy!!!!Rojak Cm dah siap!!dah habis pun licin..semua orang kat rumah ni kata sedap:)Thanks to You dear:)

Zoe said...

Finding a store that sells good Indian Rojak is kind of difficult these days. I feel that most Indian Rojak sellers double or triple-fried their leftover Kuih Udang. Nice to make this rojak all by yourself...
and this is super-yummy!

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Hmm,nampak sedapnya, saya mahu satu!

MaryMoh said...

Just what I miss! I remember always going for this when I was back home....very healthy and delicious. Your peanut sauce is just so good....mmmm. I don't mind to eat this everyday :D

My Little Space said...

Mary : Actually the sauce is my favourite.

Alisha : Hope you'll like it too!

Fimere : Merci.

Peggy : Thanks alot!

Ann : Me too! I'm glad the crave has brought me to this.

divya : Thanks so much for your lovely words.

Rosita : You're welcome. Hope you'll enjoy it too.

Angie : Thanks. Hope you'll like it.

Little Inbox : haha... better go and buy one huh! But my only problem is the stall bought sauce. They're almost tasteless.

Chin : 请坐吧!不用客气! ha...

Bee : Me too! I'm glad the crave has brought me to try this out.

鱼鱼 : Thank you very much for your lovely comment. I'm really appreciate it.

Veron : Have never been there! Hope to try a good one someday. Must go cari-cari makan kat KL someday. haha.... See, I am like 'sua ku'~ Ah Lian~ worst then Lucy!

Emily : Thank you, dear.

Lena : Whoa, what a compliment! 'pai se'. lol! haha...

Gert : Me too! I can just lick to clean the plate. haha...

CM : Amboi, bukan main cepatnya! Glad all your family members love it especially your son from oversea.

Zoe : Yeah, you're so right about it. Even here too very hard to find one really good stall.

Sonia : Sorry'leh, dah habis mdm! hehe...

Mary : Glad to see you today! Hope you're having a lovely day.

Thank you everyone for visiting and spending your time here with me. I'm glad you all love this Indian salad as well.

Hope you're all having a wonderful day. Enjoy!

Blessings, Kristy

Cheah said...

Yummy, Kristy! When are you going to set up stall??

Lyndsey said...

It looks wonderful, I can imagine how good it smells. I've never had it before...I guess I'll have to swing by your place and try yours! Or let me know when your stall opens!

I can't believe I vivited too late...I don't like being on the bottom of the pack :D

Belinda @zomppa said...

I am so drooling....th ese are my flavors...thanks for sharing the recipe!!

Otehlia said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for such a great idea.It includes all of my favorite ingredients in one dish.

tigerfish said...

I have not had Indian Rojak for a long time!

cheapAppetite said...

This look similar to Indian Salad we have in Thailand. That kuih udang makes me drool!

penny aka jeroxie said...

So that is how the prawn is made and fried!

Anonymous said...

So yummy! Quick clarification... no mention of milk in your list of ingredients. Im assuming you whisk the eggs with water?
Thanks

My Little Space said...

Anonymous, thanks for stopping by and sorry for confusing you about the water & milk! haha... Yes, you're right. It's water actually mixing with eggs.

Thanks & hope you'll like it too.
Kristy

shaz said...

Love this dish. Wow, so rajin you made this at home :) My local hawker used to make it with deep fried boiled eggs, so good.

Mackklib said...

还有吗?我要吃!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...