Are these pictures look mouthwatering to you? Do you believe this is homemade? Yeap, it's 100'% homemade! I've seen restaurants serving this kind of chicken or duck very often whenever there's wedding function or birthday party. But never in my head thought of making one and surprisingly I DID !
And here's what I did.
1 whole chicken (about 2kg)
3 cups water
2 tbsp maltose
1 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp fermented soybean paste
1/2 tspn chinese 5 spice
1 whole preserved kamquet, roughly chopped
1 tspn light soy sauce
(1) combine water, maltose & vinegar in a wok/a large pot and bring it to boil.
(2) make sure the chicken is clean & pad dry, then bath the chicken with the boiling mixture for several times.
(3) tide the neck of the chicken with a string and sun dry for an hour.
(4) again bath the chicken for the 2nd time, sun dry again for another 1-1/2 hours or till a dried & hard skin is formed.
*for ducks : sun dry for about 3-4 hours due to thicker skin.
(5) now, combine all the seasonings and mix well, stuff mixture into the chicken and spread around the inner part. Do not rub mixture over the outer skin!
(6) finally, bake at preheated oven 190'C for about an hour or untill the skin is brown & crispy. And serve hot.
I am totally thrilled with the outcome. The skin looks super gorgeous....and really shinny. I will definitely making this again soon or you may also use a duck. Hope you guys will like it too. Enjoy!
I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
chicken, main course