Bao zi is one of the famous street food in China especially 'gou bu li bao zi'. The sentence of 'gou bu li bao zi' meaning 'dog don't care bun'. Isn't it funny! Well, there's actually a story behind it. Please click here for more interesting stories. Today I'm not going to make 'dog don't care bun' but I'm going to make some pan fried Shanghai bao zi. Pan fried bao zi is also very popular all around China. I'm not ashamed to tell you that I've never been there before or try their original pan fried bao zi. But one thing I'm sure is, mine looks ALMOST the same. haha... What a cheeky me! Are you ready for this? OK. Let's join me for some fun.
Ingredients for starter dough :
1 tspn yeast
(combine all ingredients and mix well, leave to proof for about 1-2 hours)
Ingredients for Main Dough :
100gm starter dough
300gm all purpose flour
1/8 tspn salt
1 tspn yeast
150gm lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
20gm cooking oil
(1) combine all main dough ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
(2) then leave to proof for an hour or untill double the size.
(3) sprinkle on some flour and knead till smooth.
(4) divide dough into 16 equal portion.
(5) roll out flat and place in the filling, seal nicely.
(6) place them onto a preheated oiled frying pan.
(7) let them cook over extreme low heat with lid on, for about 10 mins.
(8) and serve hot.
Ingredients for meat filling :
150gm minced chicken fillet
1 large onion, roughly chopped
half green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 tbps shao xing wine/rice wine
salt & pepper to taste
some sesame oil
* thickening : 3 tbsp water + 1 tspn tapioca starch
(1) preheat frying pan with sesame oil.
(2) stir in onion and chicken meat, simmer untill cooked over medium heat.
(3) add in wine, salt & pepper and mix well.
(4) finally, stir in thickening and off the heat.
(5) set aside to cool completely before wrapping.
chinese bun, chinese food,