Friday, July 1, 2011

Pan Fried Shanghai Baozi

Bao zi is one of the famous street food in China especially 'gou bu li bao zi'. The sentence of 'gou bu li bao zi' meaning 'dog don't care bun'. Isn't it funny! Well, there's actually a story behind it. Please click here for more interesting stories. Today I'm not going to make 'dog don't care bun' but I'm going to make some pan fried Shanghai bao zi. Pan fried bao zi is also very popular all around China. I'm not ashamed to tell you that I've never been there before or try their original pan fried bao zi. But one thing I'm sure is, mine looks ALMOST the same. haha... What a cheeky me! Are you ready for this? OK. Let's join me for some fun.

Ingredients for starter dough :
100gm flour
70gm water
1 tspn yeast
(combine all ingredients and mix well, leave to proof for about 1-2 hours)

Ingredients for Main Dough :
100gm starter dough
300gm all purpose flour
1/8 tspn salt
1 tspn yeast
150gm lukewarm water
1 tbsp sugar
20gm cooking oil

Method :
(1) combine all main dough ingredients and mix to form a soft dough.
(2) then leave to proof for an hour or untill double the size.
(3) sprinkle on some flour and knead till smooth.
(4) divide dough into 16 equal portion.
(5) roll out flat and place in the filling, seal nicely.
(6) place them onto a preheated oiled frying pan.
(7) let them cook over extreme low heat with lid on, for about 10 mins.
(8) and serve hot.



Ingredients for meat filling :
150gm minced chicken fillet
1 large onion, roughly chopped
half green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 tbps shao xing wine/rice wine
salt & pepper to taste
some sesame oil
* thickening : 3 tbsp water + 1 tspn tapioca starch

Method :
(1) preheat frying pan with sesame oil.
(2) stir in onion and chicken meat, simmer untill cooked over medium heat.
(3) add in wine, salt & pepper and mix well.
(4) finally, stir in thickening and off the heat.
(5) set aside to cool completely before wrapping.


You can always place in different kind of fillings as desired. It's homemade...so just do whatever you want! As long as you're happy with it. And I've also cut down the used of cooking oil when frying them. That's why the bao zi doesn't look as shinny & oily. Next time, I'm going to try taco fillings on this! What do you think? ha...
chinese bun, chinese food,

34 comments:

Anncoo said...

Yum..this is my favorite and I never miss to order when I'm in the La Mian restaurant!

lena said...

i have never eaten this before but am aware of this bao zi. I dont think can even find this in dim sum resturants!

Amelia's De-ssert said...

The bao zi looks very delicious, yum yum

ICook4Fun said...

I have this dim sum book from HK and they feature this Bao Zi too and I wanted to try it out but never get to do it. So what is the difference between the regular Bao and this one? Which do you prefer? Great idea using Taco seasoning for the filling. I never thought of that :) :)

Rosita Vargas said...

My dear friend I loved filling exquisite look very nice, honey cariños hug.

Kumi said...

This looks mouth-watering! You always amaze me with the amount of cooking/baking you do and how they always look so delicious. Hats off to you for your dough-making ability. :-)

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

You make such interesting foods, these look a bit fiddly but I am sure they are worth the effort. Diane

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Kristy, you are so good at making bao and these look very tasty! My HK flour bought last year during my visit is still sitting in the fridge. I think it is still useable. I don't know why I never got round to making any bao but I should do it soon.

reanaclaire said...

one word - SEDAP!!

divya said...

looks yummy and delicious...

tigerfish said...

The famous Shanghai Sheng Jian Bao (生煎包)!!! I like!

Alice Law said...

Hrm... I'd prefer prawn instead of taco, lol! Your bun certainly looks great, reminds me of ur McD muffin!^^

Belinda @zomppa said...

I think one of the my favorite pastimes is to stuff myself with baozi!!

shaz@feedingmykidsbetter said...

Looks so yummy! I'm definitely gonna try it out! My boys love paos 

Lyndsey said...

I'm with Belinda, I would love to eat them, better than me making them. I love the looks of the pan fry, nice and crisp and not much oil! Taco stuffing sounds good...so many choices!
Cheers! Have a good weekend!
Lyndsey

~~louise~~ said...

When I finally get my act together, Kristy, I'm going to prepare one of your lovely dishes for Marion and myself. I may just begin with these. They look so darn good, I can just imagine munching on one, or two...

Thanks for sharing Kristy...

"See" ya later:)

Hayley said...

Home made bao zi is the nicest one, as it's more 'hygiene' and we can put in as many ingredients as we want...

Small Kucing said...

you made it seems so easy. Very professional

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我想做这个很久了...就是懒惰:P

Blackswan said...

Love this, love this, love this! It's my fave dim-sum! I'm quite an unhealthy person, so I don't really like solely steamed dim-sum. I always order this in restaurants cause it's pan-fried after steaming :)

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

i also lazy to do this...send for me some please, hehehe..

Sylvia said...

Thanks for share the recipe, is one of my favorites and I have no clue how to do. Thanks again!!

Gloria said...

Nice recipe! I really love these, look delicious and yumm, gloria

Fimère said...

j'adore ce genre de pain, il faudrait que le l'essaye un de ces jours
bonne journée

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Hello sayang! Long long time no see ;) Thanks for posting this so I can drool over it LOL This is very hard to resist - I have to eat it at least 2 or 3 times a month or I get very grumpy. Lucky for me, there is a shop that sells lovely ones not too far from my home. Hope life has been treating you well :)

girlichef said...

Oh, this looks so good...I love that filling, just want to bite in!

PFx said...

Yummy! Love the little brown bits on the bottom. I love these buns when they're homemade, so much better than most shop ones.

My Little Space said...

Ann : They have this! I got to try that out next time.

Lena : Yeah, it's hard to find it here!

Amelia : Thank you!

Gert : Pan fried baozi is much smaller the size and it's really crispy after frying unlike the big steamed bun. I can take a few while it's still warm. I'm looking forward to your version of baozi too.

Rosita : Thank you very much, dear.

Kumi : Gracis! Glad to see you.

Diane : :o) Yes, they are!

Biren : Hope you'll enjoy it too!

Claire : haha... one word ~ HABIS!!!

Divya : thank you, dear.

tigerfish : Thanks. Glad to see you.

Alice : haha... Are they?

Belinda : I love the crispy crust. lol!

Shaz : Hope they'll like it too. Enjoy!

My Little Space said...

Lyndz : Yeah, I think I should try the taco one soon. should be wonderful too!

Louise : Hope you guys will like it! Have fun.

Hayley : Why are you saying that the store bought ones are not hygiene?

Kathy : Pei se. lol!

鱼鱼 : It's still depend on my mood! haha...

Shirley : It's not easy to find them here for breakfast. lol!

Sylvia : You're welcome. Hoep you'll enjoy it.

Gloria : Thank you!

Fimere : Merci, dear.

Denise : Hi dear, ((hugs)) Great to see you here! I'm just OK. Will write soon.

Gilrichef : How I wish I could share some with you. :o)

PFx : Welcome doctor, :o) glad you like this too. Hope you'll enjoy making it too.

Thank you everyone for visting and spending your time here with me. Too bad that time is limited. How I wish I'll have more time to visit you all as much as possible. However, I'll try my best to do so. Please do excuse me if I've not visited your site lately. I'll try to catch up soon.

Hope you're all having a great weekend. Enjoy!

Blessings, Kristy

Angie's Recipes said...

A few of those baozi, and a bowl of sweet and sour soup, life is good.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I will love this as a snack!

Drick said...

tried to comment on my phone, had trouble....this is beautiful, know it was delish,,
now, I answered your question on my blog and said:
@My Little Space, Kristy...no, no, they are not the same, pectin is a natural gel from stone fruits mainly, citrus acid will give a lemon, citrus flavor and is used to retard ripeness, not to thicken as in jelly... add pectin to fruits and vegetables that do not have a natural pectin content or that have been frozen...

cherry potato said...

真的很羡慕你有一双巧手,包出来的包子很漂亮.我很想尝试做有馅料的包子,又害怕做不出来.

nancy at good food matters said...

I love bao zi, and ate them for the first time a few years ago when I was visiting my daughter in Tianjin China. (she was studying and teaching there) so delicious! I should try to make your version--they look so good.
thanks for the nice memory!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...