Saturday, July 30, 2011

Jiao Zi 'Yang Shen' Soup

Remember more than 10 years back, I have once taken dim sum somewhere in Melaka. One of their specialty is jiaozi in 'pao shen' soup. I still remember very clearly the flavour of the soup is absolutely stunning. Too bad that the restaurant already closed down a few years ago. 'Pao shen' is one of many kind of herbal root other than 'yang shen' and 'ginseng'. 'Ginseng' is the most expensive one and is marked as the first class herbal root. While 'pao shen' is the middle class herbal root and 'yang shen' is the cheapest, yet still contained loads of beneficial.

'Yang shen' root is much bitter the taste and it's also best for healing the heaty body, sore throat and more. So, here is the lovely brunch for the day.

Ingredient for 'yang shen' Soup :
handful of 'yang shen', washed & drained
500gm chicken bones, boiled & rinsed
3L water
200gm preserved, vegetables, 'da tou chai'
1 large onion
a few slices ginger
pepper to taste

Method :
(1) combine all ingredients into a big pot and let to boiled for an hour over medium heat.
(2) withdraw all the ingredients once the soup is ready.



Ingredients for 'jiao zi' filling :
300gm chicken fillet, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1 tspn sugar
1 tspn ginger juice
2 tspn sesame oil
2 tbsp chopped spring onion
1 large onion, chopped
2 tspn wheat starch
(combine all ingredients and mix well)
* one packet of jiaozi skin or homemade jiaozi skin

Eventhough 'yang shen' is a little bitter but after cooking in soup, it turns into a completely different flavour. I'm not sure about you guys but I am loving it. Enjoy!
(dumpling, herbal soup. dim sum, chinese meal, Asian)
*I'm sending this to 3 Hungry Tummies @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday blog event.

29 comments:

Sutapa said...

Lovely delicious soup packed with herb though I don't have any idea about this herb, but I heard about ginseng and its medicinal values but I am sure it taste great as it looks!

Angie's Recipes said...

I like jiaozi soup...together with some steamed buns for the lunch. Just marvelous!

Lyndsey said...

I like the sound of this lovely soup! You'll have to make this one for me when I visit! :) Don't you hate it when you like a dish at a restaurant and they stop making it or the restaurant closes :(

You are so busy and you still find the time to post! You're the best Kristy! Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
Lyndsey

Barbara said...

I've never heard of this, Kristy. What's the flavor after cooking?
It's really a lovely looking soup. Nice that it has healing powers too.

Ana Rita said...

I would love to try this soup ...I love to discover new flavours and others ways to cook.

Kisses,
Rita

divya said...

yummy and delicious..

Kumi said...

Sure looks good and great that it comes packed with healing properties!

unikorna said...

It seems like a very light, refined dish..unfortunately some of the ingredients haven't reached my part of the world :)>

Rosita Vargas said...

Se ve muy exquisito ,no conozco el producto,me gustaría probar,abrazos grandes-

Ann said...

Wow - I've never heard of Yang Shen soup, but it looks delicious and the jiao zi filling is stunning! I would order this in any restaurant!

hanushi said...

A super nutritious soup indeed! :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes said...

I don't cook a lot with roots. I really should change that! The soup looks and sounds delicious!

lena said...

i have something similiar to this during my trip to hkg , thanks so much for sharing dear!

Anncoo said...

Oh Kristy, this is very nutritious and delicious jiaozi shen soup. Thank you for sharing :)

Jeannie said...

This looks like another delicious looking and healthy soup!

Hayley said...

Eh this is very unique! I love jiao zi~

Ah Tze said...

Kristy, it sounds special to me, Jiao Zhi in yang shen soup! Thanks for sharing.

Drick said...

I can almost smell this one, it looks and sounds so great... I know when I get to feeling under the weather, I'm sending you a message and coming over to your house - have bowl ready...

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我是你邻居就好,引起我的食欲了:)

Mother's Secret Home Recipe's said...

Love soup and this one looks yummy.

Little Inbox said...

I could never think of dumpling in herbal soup base. That's so special.

3 hungry tummies said...

This must tastes wonderful!

P.S Sharon will add all ur entries to the roundup tonight.

shaz said...

Sounds super delicious and healthy :)

My Little Space said...

Sutapa : Thanks alot. Hope you'll have a chance to try it some day.

Angie : You must have missed your mom's soup very much! :o)

Lyndz : Oh, you can try it with 'dang gui' slices I sent you.

Barbara : It tastes like tea without sugar but with a little salt. It's the decription good enough. haha....

Rita : Thanks!

Divya : Thank you very much.

Kumi : I think in Korea, they usually used ginseng!

Unikorna : Hi there, welcome to my little space & hope you will like it here. Would love to hear from you more often.

Rosita :

Ann : Thanks very much & glad you love it too.

Hanushi : Hi there, welcome to my humble little space. Glad you like this soup too. Hope to hear from you more often.

Andrea : I thought Korean loves cooking with ginseng roots a lot!

Lena : You're welcome.

Anncoo : Hope you will like it too!

Jeannie : Thank you.

Hayley : Thanks. Hope you will like it.

My Little Space said...

Ah tze : Oh hi there, glad to see you around. I hope everything going well with you.

Drick : haha... thanks for stopping by, guru ! You're always welcome to enjoy the soup.

鱼鱼 : I'm sure you'll regret to stay nearby!

M'sSHR : Hi there, welcome to my site and hope you will like it here. Do visit more often.

Little Inbox : Thanks! Hope you will like it too.

3HT : OK, have noted! Thanks for everything.

Shaz : Thank you! Hope you will like it too. Happy MMM!

Thank you very much everyone for visiting and spending your time here. Am most appreciate it.

Hope you will enjoy every moment here. Have a great day everyone!

Blessings, Kristy

My Little Space said...

Rosita : Muchas gracias. Espero que usted tendrá la oportunidad de probarlo algún día.
tienen un gran día!

Blessings, Kristy

Magic of Spice said...

I bet the aroma is fantastic! And such a pretty soup as well :)
Hope you are having a great week :)

Alice Law said...

Looks tasty, yum!!!

Murasaki Shikibu said...

I love jiao zi. We make them at least once a month. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...