Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hakka 'Hee Ban'

This is traditional Chinese Hakka goodies which eaten during any festive celebration. But it's now widely sell in many places as our local street food. The process of making this kind of goodies is very simple with just few ingredients and yet delicious. I used banana leaves as the base because it gives better fragrant. And I have the recipe as follow.

Ingredients :

Starter Dough Ingredients

150gm all purpose flour
1 tspn yeast
150ml water

- mix all ingredients to form a soft dough.
- and leave for fermentation for over night or 10-12 hours.

Main Dough Ingredients

150gm flour
150gm glutinous rice flour
140gm sugar
150gm water
colouring

Method :

- mix all ingredients and starter dough together to form a soft dough.


- leave for fermentation for another 4 hours.
- then roughly stir in 1-1/2tbsp corn oil/olive oil.


- divide dough into 14 portion (by using an ice-cream scoop & then roll into round shape)and place it to the banana leaves.
- and leave for another proof for 20-30mins.


- then steam for 15min over high heat.
The best thing about this goodies is the texture that is so nice & soft even after a day or two without chilling.

I've made two batches about thirty pieces. And I'm going to bring all these with me when visiting my in-laws later on. My hubby other eight siblings are going home too, I'm not sure is it enough for all of them!

28 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I like steamed cake, they are usually lighter and healthier. 8 Sibilings?! Wow...believe me, that wouldn't be enough, you gotta make another batch!

Laura in Paris said...

So talented! I loved steamed buns when I was in China. Wish I could try these Hakka Hee Ban speamed cookies

alwayswinner786 said...

Hakka Hee Ban is absolutely the type of food I always look for.
Delicious and healthy! I will surely try this.

Divina Pe said...

That's something new to me but impressive. Wow eight siblings. I think you need to make more Hakka Hee Ban.

cherry potato said...

I like to eat this!Not only during festive cerebration,i also can bought it from hawker stall easily.

penny aka jeroxie said...

I have never had this before! I must make this. Very interesting. Can I put any stuffing?

pegasuslegend said...

Wow I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet you as there are so many things to be introduced to...These are one of the. A very impressive art at that thank you for sharing with me...beautiful

5 Star Foodie said...

How fun to learn about these new treats - they look absolutely scrumptious!

Mary said...

I had not heard of these before visiting your sight. It's always such fun to "discover" a new food.

Heavenly Housewife said...

Very pretty, I'd love to try some :)
Have a great weekend.
*kisses* HH

Anncoo said...

I think you have to make extra batches for all of us...haha...

alison said...

very interesting for me!it looks so beautiful in these leaves!

Elra said...

I never had this delicious sounding cake before. It look very tempting, and perfect for celebration.

Chow and Chatter said...

yummy and I love the way you wrap them on in banana leaf

Velva said...

I have never tried or heard of Hakka Hee Ban until this blog post. I am thinking that I am missing something very tasty.
As always, a great recipe idea.

Claudia said...

You amaze and delight me. I would love to have some right this minute, Scrumptious!

MaryMoh said...

that's a lot you made. Is it for business? I love them. I should just drop by for some :)

Elin said...

Wow..this is nice..steamed bun are much much healthier. Thanks for this hakka hee ban. Will try this out one day. into my To-do list for the time being:p

By the way thanks for the batch :)

radha said...

Looks absolutely delicious. Do you also make the sticky rice with mango? Do post that recipe too. It is difficult to get the sticky rice here, but I shall try.

My Little Space said...

Hi ya Ladies,

I'm so sorry for the late reply. I was busy with some gathering and wedding functions during the weekend. Wow, thanks a lot for all the nice words. I'm glad you all enjoying it very much. And hope that you'll have fun!

Have a wonderful day.

Cheers, Kristy

My Little Space said...

Penny : yes, you can always add in some stuffing. Just be careful with the dough. It's not easy to handle lol!

Cheah said...

I like this kuih, never knew what's it called. Soft and light, and not too sweet.

Lyndsey said...

I'm really late in my comment, been busy too. These look beautiful! I love celebration food. Did you make a third batch for us? hehe!

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

These are so moist and yummy looking! Your lucky family!

Blackswan said...

This is an interesting one - I've not heard or tried before. Thks for sharing!

Joy said...

AAAH I love eating these Kristy!! If only everything we made was nonperishable hahaha then I could send you thanksgiving and you could send me these. NOM NOM NOM!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Thanks for posting the recipe. Like my mum used to make. She used to make sweet and salty version. Wished I had written her recipe down and watch her how it was made. Now she is not here, it is difficult to find traditional desserts and snacks. None of my cousin can make them. By the way, what is All-purpose flour? Is it plain flour?

Rose

My Little Space said...

Hi Rose, thank you very much for visiting. I am very sorry about your mom. Hopefully, this will bring you back some sweet memories of her. And yes, all purpose flour is those common plain flour we used everyday. Hope you will like it and have fun!
Blessings, Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...