Monday, November 2, 2009

Stir Fried Lotus Root With Mixed Veggies

This is something I don't often cook. But still cook occasionally, my hubby likes to eat the sliced lotus root and I like to eat all other mixed veggies in it. Not to mention about the kids, they only eat the lettuce and shrimps! haha... Actually, it's quite a well division dish. Everyone has their little part to dig in! Lotus root is something really nutritious. It's low in saturated fat & cholesterol, high in dietary fiber, vitamin C/B, potassium, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Phosphorus and copper. Lotus root can actually help in maintaining optimum health and weight loss too. Love the words "weight loss"! Perfect for my foodie friends... hehe....

Ingredients :

300gm lotus root, sliced
200gm carrot, sliced
200gm cauliflower, cut in small portion
200gm any fresh mushrooms
200gm shrimps/prawns
1 tbsp chopped garlic
a few slices ginger
1/3 cup water

Seasoning :

2 tbsp 'shao xing' wine
1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste

*thickening : 1 tspn tapioca starch + 2 tbsp water
Method :

- run cauliflower & carrot over boiling water for 1 min.
- then remove from boiling water & leave aside.
- preheat frying pan or wok with 4tbsp cooking oil.
- coat sliced lotus root with 2tspn corn starch.
- slightly fry the lotus root over high heat and leave aside.
- use the balance cooking oil and stir in ginger & garlic.
- then add in shrimps and fry untill half cooked.
- stir in all the veggies & water and simmer over medium heat untill a little soft.
- add in seasoning and cook over low heat.
- finally, stir in thickening and off the heat.
- serve with lettuce.
Well, it's a simple dish yet quite presentable though! More to oriental style and flavour.

14 comments:

Selba said...

A healthy and a yummy meal! :)

alison said...

so interesting,lotus root...it looks so good!

MaryMoh said...

I wish I can get fresh lotus roots. Have not tried it fried before. Used to make soup. Guess I'll buy the frozen ones and give a try. It may turn out very good.

3 hungry tummies said...

looks like a very clean tasting dish! yum!

My Little Space said...

Selba : Thank you!

Alison : I know it's not easy to get this somewhere out of the region. But it's my pleasure to introduce something new to you.

MaryMoh : Yeah, you need to fry the lotus root if you want to cook in this way, to prevent the sticky liquid from coming out of the root. This happened when it's still fresh but I'm not sure about the frozen one.

Have a nice day & Cheers.

Kristy

Anncoo said...

I usually make lotus soup and only have the soup, the lotus will leave behind.

Laura in Paris said...

Tempting me, as usual...
Please, go to my blog to discover all about an award I have given you!

Divina Pe said...

Lotus root is hard to find but they're so healthy for us. It's good that everyone gets some food from that same dish. :)

My Little Space said...

3HTummies : Thank you!

Annco : They taste even better after cooking long hours in soup, really soft & tasty! You should eat them.

Laura : Thank you so much for passing on the award to me! Really really appreciate it.

Divina : We've both imported & local lotus root. Local one tastes & smell better.

Have a nice day & cheers.

Kristy

Lyndsey said...

I tried this a while ago when I stopped into our Aisan store to get other ingredients for your other recipes. He, he. I used it in my quinoa salad, and I added it to a simple stirfry. I like the taste. It has a nice crisp crunch. I wanted other ideas to use it, now I can try yours.

Mary said...

What a healthy and delicious meal! It looks delicious.

myfrenchkitchen said...

A dore your banner, it makes me chuckle!!
Ronell

Pari said...

Hi! I have alwaya made curry with lotus stem, ur version is completely new to me.

Sanjana said...

I've never been able to find this fresh buy the frozen should be equally as delicious. What a gorgeous little salad! Really healthy too! Thank you for sharing and also for stopping by my blog and leaving your lovely comments! I really appreciate them. So lovely to meet you! I'll stop by often!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...