This is something I don't often cook. But still cook occasionally, my hubby likes to eat the sliced lotus root and I like to eat all other mixed veggies in it. Not to mention about the kids, they only eat the lettuce and shrimps! haha... Actually, it's quite a well division dish. Everyone has their little part to dig in! Lotus root is something really nutritious. It's low in saturated fat & cholesterol, high in dietary fiber, vitamin C/B, potassium, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Phosphorus and copper. Lotus root can actually help in maintaining optimum health and weight loss too. Love the words "weight loss"! Perfect for my foodie friends... hehe....
300gm lotus root, sliced
200gm carrot, sliced
200gm cauliflower, cut in small portion
200gm any fresh mushrooms
1 tbsp chopped garlic
a few slices ginger
1/3 cup water
2 tbsp 'shao xing' wine
1/2 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
salt & pepper to taste
*thickening : 1 tspn tapioca starch + 2 tbsp water
- run cauliflower & carrot over boiling water for 1 min.
- then remove from boiling water & leave aside.
- preheat frying pan or wok with 4tbsp cooking oil.
- coat sliced lotus root with 2tspn corn starch.
- slightly fry the lotus root over high heat and leave aside.
- use the balance cooking oil and stir in ginger & garlic.
- then add in shrimps and fry untill half cooked.
- stir in all the veggies & water and simmer over medium heat untill a little soft.
- add in seasoning and cook over low heat.
- finally, stir in thickening and off the heat.
- serve with lettuce.
Well, it's a simple dish yet quite presentable though! More to oriental style and flavour.