Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Steamed Brown Sugar Cake (Pak Tong Go)

I'm totally flattered when Marillyn @ Just Making Noise wrote to me and asked me to be one of her guest post of the week. That's very sweet of her. I'll have to say 'yes' and thank you very much for your invitation, Marillyn! At first, I actually wanted to send her one of my older post; but after thinking twice I changed my mind and decided to make a brand new post specially for Marillyn. It's a simple and yet delightful Chinese goodie which you can easily find it in Asian countries. It's also one of our local famous steet food. This recipe was came from Steamed White Sugar Cake and also called as 'Pak Tong Go'! The original recipe is quite complicated actually, but the recipe became so much easier after simplification. And here's the recipe.
*
Ingredients :
*
(A)
1 tspn yeast + 2tbsp warm water (leave for 5 mins)
*
(B)
300ml water
280gm brown sugar
2 pandan leaves (optional)
*
(C)
280gm rice flour
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tbsp corn oil/olive oil
300ml water
*
Method :
*
- combine ingredients (B) and boil over low heat untill sugar just melt, leave aside to cool.
- then combine ingredients(C) and mix well.
- finally, combine all ingredients (A), (B) & (C) and leave to proof for 1-1/2 hours.
- coat a 9" tray with cooking oil.
- preheat steamer together with the tray.
- once it's ready, pour batter into the tray and steam for 20 mins over high heat.
- remove from steamer and leave to cool for 1/2 hour before slicing.
Yes, it is as simple as one, two, three! And delightfully sweet and aromatic.
It turned out beautifully! Does this remind you of my 'Ma Lai Go'? Which is also one of our famous local street food as well. Looks almost the same but it's made of eggs and flour. Very very yummy LOL!

34 comments:

Anncoo said...

This is really yummy. I would like to eat this with a cup of Chinese tea.

Mary said...

Wowieee.. that looks so yummy and easy to make. Thanks for the Deepavali wishes :)
I was in Melbourne at that time. You've cooked up such yummy dishes and posted them on your blog.. I love them..
Cheers!
Mary

Divina Pe said...

That's very pretty. I think I used to eat this before but I can't really remember. That's awesome Kristy.

reanaclaire said...

hey, it sounds easy.. but is it really easy as it is written? hahaa.. me an amateur and this pak tong koe or wong tong koe is one of my favourite.. i love to bite bite them..

MONONOKE KITCHEN said...

This is a lovely recipe,
I'm gonna bookmark and cook it,
thank you!

MaryMoh said...

ooooh...this is so lovely. I remembered eating a lot of this when I was young, but white in colour. It's so soft and delicious. I hope to make this one of these days. I miss it.

Laura in Paris said...

It's dessert time here in Paris, I only had an apple and a coffee (and a square of chocolate), can I help myslef? that cake looks delicious!

Angie's Recipes said...

This has a perfect structure!

cherry potato said...

I seldom see this in brown colour oh,
I always have this in white colour pak tong kou.Look so yummy!

Lyndsey said...

It looks so good, I am curious to what it tastes like! Would it go with my coffee for breakfast? hehe

petite nyonya said...

I love pak tong koh, whether white or brown. Used to eat it a lot as a child. Must try to make this one day!
Btw, accepted your Friends button already. Thks again! :)

Cinnamon-Girl Reeni♥ said...

I bet it just melts in your mouth! Delicious!

Marillyn Beard said...

This looks yummy! I can imagine the smells, oh my! I bet it would taste great using raw sugar. I'll make sure to share about this tomorrow for the SWW :o)

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds lovely and it has such an interesting texture. Is that last piece for me?

Marillyn Beard said...

How do you steam it???

tracieMoo said...

Yum. I would love to give this a try!

My Little Space said...

Hi everyone,

Great to hear from all of you. Hope you'll enjoy this post and have fun. Have a wonderful day.

Tracie : Welcome on board! Hope to hear from you more often.

Cheers, Kristy

Barbara said...

That's amazing! I love the photo of the cut piece-the texture is honey-combed.

Heavenly Housewife said...

The texture of this cake is very beautiful.

Claudia said...

Wonderful! East, sweet and delicious! Definitely a keeper.

kitchenocd said...

OH my absolute goodness. You make all my favorite treats so easy to make at home!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Trish said...

wow...what a photogenic cake! Grin...that is simply amazing. I love it!

velva said...

Just recently I was in NYC walking through Chinatown. We stopped in a bakery and had something very similar and it was just delicious! I need to continue to keep my eye open for these treats so, that I do not pass it up-

CheapAppetite said...

I've never seen this dessert before but it definitely looks great. I love the pandan flavor:)

alwayswinner786 said...

Once again it's cake time. Yum Yum!
I am missing a bite.
Love it.:)

No-Frills Recipes said...

For a moment I thought it was Ma Lai Ko....mmm Wong Tong Ko, very yummy and chewy, love it!

pegasuslegend said...

wow this looks so delish...and the pictures are making me hungry....very nice!

Drick said...

don't believe I've had steam cake like this - the pan fits into the steamer?

My Little Space said...

Hi there,

Again, thanks for stopping by and hope you all have a wonderful time.

Drick : Yes, it fits well with a large wok or steamer!

Cheers, Kristy

lululu said...

oh, it looks too beautiful!
the interior just so got me want to bite into it!

Joy said...

I have never tried a brown sugar cake, my mom always bought me "bai tang gao" -- I think I would enjoy this recipe better because brown sugar has a bolder flavor! I will definitely try this one -- thanks for sharing :)

Neutral said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
yuzu said...

hello, i love your blog :). i tried to do this steamed black sugar cake( pak tang go) today but for some reason it didnt't turn out as expected. the cake turned out like jelly and it doesn't really set even after an hour.. :(
can i check, when we transfer the batter to the preheated tray, do we need to stir the batter coz there are some sediments at the bottom of the batter. thanks!

My Little Space said...

Hi Yuzu,
Welcome to my blog. I think the yeast is not working well on your cake. Ok...tell you what, try to mix ingredient (B) into (C) straight after simmering it. Only then you leave cool. Test with your finger if the temperature is comfortable meaning it's ready, then add in yeast mixture.
Tips: add in an extra 2 tbsp of wheat starch. (it helps to hold the texture)
I'm sure this will help.
All the best to you.
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...