Friday, March 23, 2012

Gold Dust Steamed Sponge Cake

I made quite a number of steamed 'ma lai go' for the past few years but have yet put my hands on this common steamed sponge cake before. Believe it or not??? After so many years, I finally want to test run it cause I'm planning to bring one to attend 'qing ming' prayer at hubby's ancestors' grave yard this weekend. 'Qing ming' is a very important day to all the Chinese. It's all about respect and tradition. But remember, still most importantly respect and taking good care of  the elderly at home while they're still alive and not after their passing. In other hand, this is also to show the next generation how the elderly supposed to be treated and hopefully they'll treat you the same way when you get older one day. :o)

Ingredients :
5 eggs
180gm   sugar
100gm   mashed pumpkin
60ml    milk
1/2 tspn  ovalette (optional)
2 tspn     baking powder
200gm   all purpose flour
*1/2 cup  raisins

Method :
(1) in a bowl, combine flour & baking powder then in another bowl mix together pumpkin & milk.
(2) beat sugar & eggs till fluffy & pale.
(3) add in vanilla essence & ovalette, beat till well combined.
(4) now, alternately stir in flour mixture & pumpkin mixture till everything well mixed.
(5) finally add in raisins and pour batter to a 7-8" tray lined with parchment paper.
(6) steamed for 20 mins over high heat.
(7) leave cool completely before slicing.

No doubt, the mashed pumpkin gave this cake such a perfection colour like GOLD DUST in a pot and the sweetness from raisins just lovely. Seems like this is another good start. So, wishing you all a very happy weekend. Enjoy & have loads of fun!

29 comments:

Francy said...

Fantastic cake! a question: what is exactely "ovalette"? and another: could I substitute the pumpkin with...? thank you! Francy

Blackswan said...

Hey Kristy, what an attractive name you've got there! Very tempting cake indeed :)

MaryMoh said...

Wow...looks so moist and fine in texture. I love steamed cake. My mom says it's not so heaty. I wish I can have a big slice for my breakfast :D Hope everything is well on your side Take care and enjoy each day. Mary

Tina said...

I have never done the steaming method with cakes, but by the looks of this the process does produce a wonderfully textured cake-yum! I love the close up of that slice. No doubt this is a winner, thanks for posting this.

Small Kucing said...

alamak...so many people posting up steamed cakes. Makes me wanna try my hands in making too.

Small Kucing said...

what flour ya? Wheat flour or what?

Honey Bee Sweets said...

True! Respect the elders now whenever possible! And I'm gonna steam this pumpkin fatt goh for them next week! Thanks Kristy for this lovely traditional recipe!

Belinda @zomppa said...

So true!! Love this cake - gorgeous - the pumpkin is a brilliant ingredient.

My Little Space said...

Francy : ovalette is a cake stabilizer but you can just omit it.

Shirley : Thanks dear.

Mary : Yea, it is! And very light too.

Tina : You're most welcome. Am glad you like it too.

Kathy : it's all purpose flour or you can also use superfine flour.

Bee : All the best!

Belinda : Thanks, dear.

Thanks so much everyone for visiting and spending your time here with me today. It's always a great pleasure of hearing from you all. Am still trying my best to catch up with you guys.

Wishing all are in the very best & enjoy your weekend.
Blessings
Kristy

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

我很少蒸蛋糕
自从试过一次不太成功
就很少做了

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

We are going chin Meng next week. Maybe I should steam a ci tan kou . Your pumpkin steamed cake look good too. Happy weekend !

TasteHongKong said...

I like the name, I even like the contour on the surface : ). Beautiful steamed cake, Kristy.
Happy weekend!

Ah Tze said...

Kristy, your steamed cake is amazing, love the cake texture! I'm still learning to steam a cake :)

Pam said...

It looks delicious! I can imagine how light the texture is!

shelly said...

it looks very fluffy, and not that complicated to make : )

lena said...

what a cute name! you just reminded me again of the chingming, know that it's on the 4th, seems so near already.

Fimère said...

la texture de ton gâteau est tellement spongieuse qu'il nous est difficile d'y résister!!
bonne journée

Katerina said...

This is a beautiful cake but more important I believe is the cause for which this made! How we treat the elderly and children shows how civilized we are and how much we respect our past and our future!

Quay Po Cooks said...

Kristy, I have not made steam cake at home yet. Yours look so good, makes me want to try this soon.

Mary said...

I have never had a steamed cake and this one looks delicious. I'll have to give this a try. Blessings...Mary

Sheoh Yan said...

I just love steaming cake now. Your pumpkin sponge cake comes just in time for me. Thank you. I will try it.

Hayley said...

Kristy, this is nice and easy.
But is there any other thing to substitute pumpkin? I am not a pumpkin fan....

ICook4Fun said...

My mom love making this steamed cake during festive season too. I remember my brothers and I had to take turn to hand whisked the eggs and sugar. It was hard work. Thank God for the invention of mixer :)

Dewi said...

I never made steam sponge cake. It looks so tempting!

Juliana said...

Kristy, I haven't made steam cake for so long...yours look great, love the texture of it...will save the recipe :)
Hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Elin said...

Kristy...your sponge cake looks good and the speckles of pumpkins makes it more interesting. Love it and I am sure your hubby's ancestors will be happy too :)

Betty said...

è interessante questa ricetta.
la segno e vediamo se riesco a provarla.
grazie.
sei geniale.
un abbraccio.

Alan (travellingfoodies) said...

ah... really nicely done! love the dome on the top. I remember when we were young, my mum would steam this for prayers as well.

Jobless Girl said...

Pumpkin + raisin combination looks great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...