Monday, March 19, 2012

Kefir Wild Yeast ~ Bialys

Last week when some of my blogger friends wrote about their trip to Sibu, Sarawak. I was astonished by the bakery there especially the pastry call 'kompia'. Kompia is the signature food of Sibu, Sarawak They actually reminded me of  BIALYS that I've been wanting to make long ago. Bialy is a chewy yeast roll similar to a bagel. They both have soft & chewy crust with springy soft crumb but in different cooking method. Honestly, I think mine wasn't nicely press so it looks thicker.

Here's the kompia I'm mentioning about. Thanks to Veronica @ Quay Po Cooks for lending me the picture. :o) Aren't they look mouthwatering!

Kefir Wild Yeast :
100ml   kefir drinks
100gm  all purpose flour
1/4 tspn  sugar
(mix well & set aside for fermentation overnight under room temperature)

Ingredients :
100gm    kefir wild yeast
150ml     water
300gm    all purpose flour
1 tbsp    sugar
1-1/2 tspn    salt
#extra flour for dusting

Method :
(1) combine all ingredients and mix well till a sticky soft dough is formed.
(2) then place sticky dough to a slightly oil greased container & set aside to rest for 2 hours or till double in size.
(3) now, knead dough till smooth and divide into 10 portions (for smaller size).
(4) if dough is bit too sticky, coating them with flour then place them to baking tray.
(5) next, press each with your fingers to the center, then place in onion topping; again let to rest for 20 mins.
(7) finally, bake at preheated oven 230'C for about 13-15 mins or till brown (place in a cup of water to keep the moisture).

Ingredients for Onion Topping :
1 small onion, chopped
1 tspn  poppy seeds
salt & black pepper to taste
(saute all ingredients at once with butter till fragrant, which I didn't ! But still turned out great.)

You can reheat the rolls the next day and it tastes as great. Personally, I prefer bialy than bagel. Bagel is much tougher. Sometimes, my jaw just get tired.. hehe....  Guess, porridge is more suitable for me huh !. haha....
*
I'm sending this to Wild Yeast @ Yeastspotting.

15 comments:

Aarthi said...

awesome buns..

Lyndsey said...

Oh Yum! I would love this savory bite. I swear if I was your neighbor I would gain many pounds!

Rosita Vargas said...

Que bocado más rico muy tentador es adorable saludos y abrazos hugs,hugs.

Janetan said...

wow, this will be my another experiment, kristy. thanks for sharing.

Nammi said...

HI Kristy :), these looks delicious, can I use regular yeast?

My Little Space said...

Lyndz : haha...you bet!

Rosita : eres bienvenido! Me alegro que te guste también.

Janetan : All the best to you.

Nammi : Yes, of coz you can. Just click on the word BIALYs for the recipe.

Thanks everyone for stopping by. Hope you're all having a lovely day.
Regards
Kristy

Barbara said...

I think these look great, Kristy. I'd love to try them...that little taste of onion on top sounds delish.

Mary said...

These really sound delicious. They would quickly disappear here.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Alice Law said...

!st time heard of bialy, looks like a great pastry!

Pamela said...

DEAR KRISTY, NO NEED TO APOLOGIZE FOR NOT VISITING, I MYSELF HAVE BEEN LOST FROM YOUR BLOG FOR A WHILE, GUESS WE'RE ALL QUITE BUSY .

LOVED THESE GREAT BIALY, I MUST TRY THEM

TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF

lena said...

hi kristy, i'm always amazed at your capability to produce what you see and read, this version of kompia is a good example! Thumbs up!!

Magic of Spice said...

Of my goodness...these do look incredible!

Janetan said...

hi kristy,
i'm wondering the first fermentation u mentioned was kept over night but is it in room temp or fridge?

My Little Space said...

Janetan, keep dough overnight under room temperature. All the best to you!
Kristy

Hernandez said...

These really sound delicious. They would quickly disappear here.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...