Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meatless Braised Cellophane Noodle

Cellophane noodle also called as glass noodle or 'dong fun' in Chinese. It's a translucent colour like noodle unlike rice vermicelli. Glass noodle is often used in making 'dong fun' soup and some stir fried vegetarian dishes but when time goes by more varieties available here & there . The most I like about it is in making stir fried or braising in gravy where the noodle became so flavourful after the absorption all sort of tasty sauce mixture.

Ingredients :
glass noodle, soaked for an hour
2 eggs
2 red chilies, thinly sliced
a bunch of spring onion, cut
100gm  beansprout, cleaned

Seasoning :
4 tbsp  vegetarian oyster sauce
1 tbsp  light soy sauce
2/3 tbsp  dark soy sauce
a dash of pepper
2 cups water

Method :
(1) fry eggs by stirring it constantly to get them scrambled, then set aside.
(2) preheat wok/pan with 1/2 cup cooking oil.
(3) stir in all the seasoning and bring to boil.
(4) add in glass vermicelli and let to cook still gravy almost completely absorb by vermicelli. Remember to stir constantly to prevent burnt bottom.
(5) now off the heat, quickly stir in eggs, chili, spring onion & bean sprout and mix well.
(6) serve warm.

I prefer to use the blue packet glass noodle (山东龙口粉丝) cause the noodle is thicker and is easier to handle. The lose packet ones where you can easily get from the local groceries store is much thinner and stickier after cooked. I'm not sure about you guys but I am dead hungry now! Happy Monday everyone!

24 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Kristy this looks like a nice, tasty, satifying meal. I would make this often.

Hope your week is going well!

Rosita Vargas said...

Hermosos fideos y buen+isima receta ,me encanta,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Angie's Recipes said...

I want a large bowl of glass noodles! Looks so yummy!

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

This is my favourite dish.I often take it as my proper meal :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Looks so flavorful! I love the texture of these....

Pegasuslegend said...

oh my YUM!!!

Alan (travellingfoodies) said...

I love tang hoon too! A simple meal to whip up! I love the no-meat idea. Much healthier too!

Small Kucing said...

Mmm...yumm....must have tasted very good

Zoe said...

This is such a classic vegetarian dish. Yum!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

I love glass noodles and this meatless dish looks really tasty.

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

饿了~~~~~

Blackswan said...

Tong Feng is definitely one of my fave food, but I always add lots of prawns. Greedy me! Hahaha!

Kristy, so our kids have just finished their 'O's. Mine's going to poly this Apr. Long way to go.....

蓝色小厨 said...

I like this noodle so much, I can feel the taste is nice and yummy!

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

Kristy, your dong fen looks very delicious! Please share some with me :)

Honey Bee Sweets said...

I love love love dong fun! Yours look super yum, even though it's vegetarian, yums! Love the glistening brown color...very inviting!

MaryMoh said...

I had just taken my dinner but now I feel hungry again after seeing this. This is my favourite. I love the Korean type which is thick. Love how you made it vegetarian. Hope you have great day. Mary

TasteHongKong said...

In very good shape is your glass noodles, well done! I like it vegetarian too.

lena said...

i was abt to ask you what type of tungfun that you used cos i find that th regular ones that we get from the sundry shop is a lil difficult to fry. Thanks for telling the brand name.

Chaya said...

Kristy, I love this , just love it, love it, love it. It is being featured, this week, on My Meatless Mondays. I am so glad you shared it with us.

Diane Balch said...

I've wanted to buy clear noodles and I didn't have a recipe for them. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

Diane Balch said...

I went looking for the clear noodles yesterday after I saw your recipe. I'm going to have take a trip to a Korean market... So glad you shared them. Hope to see you back next week.

Diane Balch said...

Your very cool noodles are being featured on my Foodie Friday linky tomorrow. Hope to see another recipe of yours...

Mrs. Mordecai said...

I am so excited to try these. They look so yummy. We have just gone meatless, so they will be perfect for us.

Kim & Hana said...

Thanks for the great recipe! I made it last night and loved it! I posted a link to your recipe along with my meat/mushroom twist on my own blog! Feel free to check it out!

http://foreverglambitious.blogspot.com/2013/10/braised-cellophane-noodles.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...