Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homemade Pickled Mustard Green

Pickled mustard green or 'ham choy' is one crucial food for the Northern population in China especially during winter. Pickling vegetables is also the only way to keep the food stock up through winter. The Northern Chinese preserved almost all kind of vegetables for winter including radish & cabbage.  But  pickled mustard is now very common in many Asian cultures. It can be used in almost all sort of cooking from stir fried to boiling soup. But before that I'm really excited to find out how it is done. Come on, let's follow me.

Ingredients :
1+ kg  mustard greens (gai choy), rinsed & drained
70gm   salt
*one glass jar with lid and a plastic sheet & rubber band

Brining Ingredients :
2 Litre  water
2 tbsp  salt
a few slices of galangal (blue ginger)
1/4 tspn   turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp   rice flour (mix with some water)

Method :
(1) cut mustard greens into half, rub salt in between the leaves and stem then set aside for about 6 hours to draw out the moisture.

(2)  at the other hand, bring water to boil together with all other brining ingredients. Then set aside to cool before used.
(3) now, as you can see those vegetables has became softened. Squeeze moisture from the mustard greens and then pack them into jar.

(4) then pour cooled brining solution into the jar to keep those mustard greens covered. You can either place in a ceramic bowl or any heavy object to submerge the greens fully.
(5) finally, cover the top with plastic sheet & tide it up with rubber band, then cover by lid and set aside to in a cool place to ferment for 5-7 days.

(6) check the greens everyday, skim off the whitish bloom that appears on the surface if there's any.
(7) once it's ready, discard brining water and withdraw mustard greens without squeezing out the liquid. Wrap it in a plastic sheet and keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 months time.

Now, this mustard green is ready to use. So, any idea what to eat ? Hmmmm...mm...I want 'ham choy' soup, stir fried 'ham choy' with vegetables.....and many more. Can't wait to try it !

26 comments:

Cass @ 揾到食 said...

Wow..wow.. ham choy is always my favourite.
The price getting more expensive now. Thanks for sharing, Kristy :)
Now i can do it myself ^^

Katerina said...

It is always so interesting to know the eating habits of other countries! Thanks for sharing Kristy!

Aarthi said...

this looks yummy

Shobha said...

Never knew about this one..interesting !

Angie's Recipes said...

You are a super woman! Even made your own mustard green pickle!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This sounds amazing. Diane

cherry potato said...

我家做的腌咸菜是用洗米水的,还是第一次在你这看到可以用另一方法来制作。

Vivian Pang said...

Quite sometimes didn't have this pickle in my dishes. Worried of buying outside. With your recipe I can make my own! Anyway do you think is alright to omit galangal ? Thanks!

Blackswan said...

Love ham choy but I wouldn't spend my time preserving it on my own as it's so cheap to buy from outside. I'm really lazy. Hahaha!

Admire your effort, Kristy! Oh, be sure to check out My New Toy, The Happy Call Pan!

My Little Space said...

Hi Everyone,

Here's another weekend. Thanks for spending your valueable time here with me today. It always a great pleasure seeing you all. Will try my best to catch up with all.

Vivian, yes, you can just omit galangal and replace it with ginger slices. It's still best to place in some ginger to prevent the funny smell after fermentation. Hoep you will have fun.

Happy Weekend & hope you all will have loads of fun.

Kristy

Amelia's De-ssert said...

Hi Kristy, wow... so hardworking made your own ham choy. Look extremely good.

I like ham choy soup with fried mackerel and tomatoes.

Have a nice weekend.

Small Kucing said...

oooo....i might try this one of these days. :)

TasteHongKong said...

I'm intrigued by your using of galangal, and would love to try it out too, thanks for sharing your recipe!
I guess you mean stem than steam in (1) : ).

yummylittlecooks said...

Homemade one is always the best.Thanks for sharing this :)

Little Inbox said...

Stir fry ham choy with chili, sugar and small prawns is yummy too!

Jeannie said...

Cook with stingray and sliced chilies is my favorite!

Mary said...

So, that's how it is done! I'm so glad you posted this. I'll really have to give this a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lyndsey said...

This is a great post Kristy, I always like how well you show us how to do things. Lokking forward to seeing what yhou do with it.

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Oh, i like to try this homemade Ham Choy..Thanks for sharing.

lena said...

never thought that galangal and turmeric powder are used in soaking the ham choi! thank you for sharing!!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Wow...you made your own kiam chai! I would love to make this too. Need to get some mustard greens from the Asian grocery store this weekend :)

MaryMoh said...

Wow...this looks like sold in the shop. You are just so clever to make your own salted mustard green. I would love to make soup with it...so appetising....mmmm. Thanks very much for sharing. Hope you have wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Hi do I put those brining ingredients into the jar as well? or i jus need the water from it?? those ginger need to put in?

My Little Space said...

Hi anonymous, first of all welcome to my humble little space. And to your questions, you need to soak & keep the brining together with mustard green You can either discharge the ginger or just keep it.
Thanks for visiting & all the best to you.
Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristy,

Is your recipe of salted kai choy sourish? If not, may I know how to make it salty and sourish?
Thanks.
Shirlynn

My Little Space said...

Hi Shirlynn

These are salted kai choy (ham choy) not sourish (sun choy).

Thanks so much for visiting.

regards
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...