Friday, February 17, 2012

Baked Eggless 'Nian Gao' Vanilla Cake

Guess what is this monkey doing? This monkey is actually enjoying an egg. I think it's a male monkey and this fellow is actually a THIEF. He stole eggs from my in-law's chicken barn almost everyday. What he did was just sitting around the area and check whenever the chickens started making noise! So, everyday my mother-in-law is like an egg marathon competitor.....see who's going to get the egg first ~ human or monkey !!!! hahaha.... Honestly, they are both equally good. Sometimes, my mother-in-law get it first and then sometimes the monkey. Oh my goodness, don't you love the village  life! :o)

If you're out eggs, don't worry! You can still make yourself an awesome eggless cake just like this one here. Since I'm using butter and condensed milk in this recipe, so it's not a vegan but a vegetarian cake.  This is actually the first time I'm making cake with 'nian gao'. Sounds pretty interesting, isn't it!  It is actually quite tasty with the addition of chewy gluey sweet glutinous rice cake in between. You'll be surprised.

And here's what did.
Ingredients :
(A)
2-1/2 cups  all purpose flour
2 tbsp  corn flour
2 tpsn  baking powder
1 tspn  baking soda
2 tbsp  sugar
1/2 tspn  salt

(B)
300ml  condensed milk
113gm  butter, melted
2 tbsp  vinegar
2 tspn   vanilla extract

* 1-1/2 cup nian gao, cubed (best in smaller chunks)
   1 cup  almond slices

Method :
(1) combine ingredients (A) into a big mixing bowl.
(2) stir ingredients (B) into (A) and mix well with a hand mixer.
(3) pour batter to a 10" baking lined with parchment paper, top with nian gao & sliced almond.
(4) bake at preheated oven 175'C for about 45-50 mins or 9x13" tray for 30 mins.
(5) then leave to cool for 20 mins before removing cake from tray.

Normally, there will be loads of leftover 'nian gao' after the Chinese New Year and mostly will be ended up in deep frying. I mean it's alright to have the deep fry food once a while but not so often. Besides, 'nian gao' isn't very nice to get them steam if they're no longer fresh & soft. So, here's another way to help you clearing off the 'nian gao' in your fridge. Hope you guys will love it too! Enjoy & have fun.

And then before ending this I would like to thank the following wonderful & thoughtful blogger for sharing such lovely awards with me. I am honoured to be apart it.

Merci, Vivian @ Vivian Pang Kitchen & Ah Tze @ Awayofmind. Do hop over to check their kitchens out!

Hereby, I would love to dedicate this award to all my blogger friends, NEW & OLD BUDDIES! Thanking all for supporting me all these years without failed. Love you guys. ((hugs)) & kisses.

21 comments:

AikoVenus said...

Mm, nian gao cake sounds so delicious! ^^ I need some now, hehe. And such a cheeky little monkey...very sneaky.

Aarthi said...

Totally YUMMY

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Lyndsey said...

Funny...it's almost like me and the squirrels fighting over my mangoes. When I hear a thud and one drops on the ground and I hear the squirrels chatter I run out and grab the mango! :)

The cake looks super moist and good! Nice to make it without eggs.

Belinda @zomppa said...

What a neat way to enjoy nian gao - think I far prefer this over traditional ones!

Francy said...

This cake is soo delicious, and without eggs it is perfect! I am writing this down and try it soon! just one thing what is nian gao? and can I substitute it with something else? thanks!

cikmanggis said...

hello Kristy..kek tu nampak sungguh sedap.Pertama kali dapat tahu yang kuih bakul boleh dibiat kek.Malangnya tahun ini Cm tak dapat kuih bakul dari Mil .Lain kali boleh cuba buat kuih bakul sendiri dan buat kek seperti Kristy ini:)

My Little Space said...

Francy, nian gao is a Chinese traditional sticky glutinous rice cake. Click on the word for more info. You can replace it with anything which is convenient to you! Hope you have fun.
Kristy

divya said...

Luvly clicks!!!
soo tempting....looks adorable..

Ann@Anncoo Journal said...

Kristy, love your creation adding the nian gao into cake. Looks so good to eat :)

edith said...

Interesing recipe.

Small Kucing said...

interesting

Quay Po Cooks said...

No eggs, no problem for me now when Quay Lo ask me to make a cake. I make this one! thanks my dear.

Mary said...

Your cake sounds delicious. You know we would love it here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Jeannie said...

Wow! This got to be a first cake with nian gao in it, or I must be living in the kampung for far too long lol! looks nice, I still have 2 nian gao to clear:D Thanks for sharing:)

Reva said...

Lovely cake.. very different and unique..:)
Pics are awesome..
Reva

鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝 said...

来分蛋糕吃了
看起来真好吃:)

Katerina said...

This looks delicious! Very original and unique type of cake!

lena said...

what a special way to eat nian gao! super creative, kristy! oh dear, i hope that the monkey wont make his way to your mil's kitchen, open the fridge and get the eggs!

Janine said...

at first i was wondering what your title meant - how does nian gao and cake go together but now that i see the photos and the recipe I'm convinced it's yummy!

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks so good. Congrats on your award.

My Little Space said...

Hellow Everyone,

I know it's been a while since I last written something here. NO matter what, I am truly thankful to all for your support. It always great reading all of your lovely comments. Love you guys! ((hugs)) I'll try my best to catch up with you all.

Lena : you can't imagine what can those monkeys do! Even dogs are afraid of them. They look like a bunch of gangsters, you know. haha.... Sometimes, they even stole chicks from the barn if there's no eggs!

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

Blessings
Kristy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...