Saturday, February 11, 2012

Steamed Black Sesame Kuih

This black sesame kuih is actually originated from Hong Kong if not mistaken. It is one of the many popular dishes served in most of the dim sum restaurants in Hong Kong. I haven't seen this kind of kuih available here so far. This recipe has been in my list to do for ages. Now, it's about time for me to give it a go. Come on let's join me for some fun!


Ingredients :
(A)
270gm    tapioca flour
30gm   rice flour
70gm   black sesame powder
2 tbsp  wheat starch (tung fun)

(B)
180gm   sugar
270ml    boiling water

(C)
200ml    water
100ml    thick coconut milk

Method :
(1) combine ingredients (A) in a big bowl and mix well.
(2) dissolved sugar into boiling for ingredients (B).
(3) now, stir together all ingredients and mix to combine.
(4) for steaming, greased a 7" square tray with oil and steam mixture layer by layer (by using a soup ladle).
(5) for 1st 3 layers steam for 3 mins, 4th & 5th & 6th layer steam for 3.5mins and the rest steam for 4 mins. Final layer steam for 6 mins.
(6) then leave cool completely before slicing it with a plastic cutter (highly recommended).

This black sesame kuih is quite similar to my steamed sweet potato kuih. The texture is very chewy & springy and you can actually eat it layer by layer just like those 9 layer nyonya kuih. I'm sure you will too enjoy the unique flavour of this black sesame dessert. Have fun!
*
I'm sending this to Suresh & Shaz @ Muhibbah Malaysian Monday.
( kuih, black sesame, asian cuisine, desserts )

19 comments:

hanushi said...

Lovely. I love the way you tear the layers! :)

Murasaki Shikibu said...

This really looks amazing. I love most things made with sesame seeds.

Hayley said...

Yummy! I love eating kuih like this, layer by layer ;)

Angie's Recipes said...

Whoa, that's work of art! And they are so tasty too.

penny aka jeroxie said...

this looks so amazing. and must be tasty. I love sesame!

Magic of Spice said...

Oh wow, how cool is this! It looks wonderful and delicious :)

shaz said...

I love black sesame and chewy kuih. Now if I can only convince my kids to eat this, it looks so good!

Zoe said...

I always enjoy splitting the layers of these multi-layering kueh when I eat them...hee hee.

These black sesame version of kueh look very yummy! I will enjoy splitting the layers and also eating them!

Happy Valentine's Day

MaryMoh said...

Wow...you made this! Looks beautiful! I want some :D I would have so much fun peeling off each layer to eat...hehe. You sure have lots of patience steaming so many layers. I always make only 4 layers, sometimes only 2! See, I do need more patience in cooking. Oh yes, Valentines' Day is just a couple of days away. Hope you have a great time. Wonder what you are cooking or going out to eat. Take care. Mary

Trix said...

That is so cool - I love all of the layers, it looks like a little cake!

Barbara said...

Kristy, that is lovely! Awesome to peel away the layer in that photo!

tigerfish said...

I think this is my first time seeing black sesame kuih! INteresting...

Juliana said...

Nice Kristy, I never made this, but had it in restaurants...yours look great, love the delicate layers of sesame.
Hope you have a great week :)

Lyndsey said...

I am so interested in how it would taste. I have seen you make many kuih, but have never tried it myself! Love all those layers.

Quay Po Cooks said...

Oh this kuih looks lovely. I am sure if I make it, I will get it all wrong.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kisty

I tried your Black Sesame Kuih recipe today. Kueh turned out not so soft. Wonder why.

Was it due to wheat starch added?

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

My Little Space said...

Hi Pris, yes, wheat starch will most probably the main course but mine is just the right texture. Not hard but chewy which I like the most. I don't like soft kuih. If you prefer softer texture you can try to omit wheat starch the next time & replace with extra rice flour.

Kristy

Anonymous said...

Hi Kisty

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I read the Black Sesame Kueh recipe in Florence's blog (All that Matters) and hers is without wheat starch. The reason I finally settled using your recipe with wheat starch was because I saw many nice kuehs featured in your blog and being inexperienced, I thought yours would be a better choice. Too bad, mine turned out lousy.

OK, now I know when to omit wheat starch.

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, mistake in my earlier post. Florence should be from "Do What I Like".

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...